• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

With attention to detail like that you will fail miserably.

I left you a note here.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53200/post-481107.html#msg481107

Mojo Magnum said:
The sheet you receive back will say All Trades, or Everything or the like.

That is, if you actually get a sheet; because I know I sure didn't.

Burke 69,

Why are you asking about the CFAT if you are already in the 11th field Regiment? Another question, why does your profile say you live in Chilliwack? Isnt the 11th field Regiment in Ontario? Maybe you can clarify that.

Thanks.

StormTrooper said:
Just a random question. Does anyone know how long the list of trades would be if someone got 100%? I did my cfat 1.5 years ago, and my list was 2 pages long.

After I did my CFAT I was told I qualified for everything. I was told a while ago (somewhere) that pilot was the one that required the highest score so I asked "even pilot" and a 5 minute Monty pithon scene ensued with "you want to be a pilot I can make that happen" and "everything everything?" I think it ended with "Oh you're applying as an officer, gee I can't tell".  I was really really sleepy because I had to pull an emergency all nighter for school but I distinctly remember him telling me that the results don't expire, so if I ever want to change my vocation I wouldn't have to do a rewrite. (I saw my score, I didn't get perfect)

To answer your question I didn't see a list of trades, I was just told "everything" and "you'll never have to take the test again".

Now for the math part:

Number sequences - the secret most people want you to figure out is that you have to write down the differences between the numbers

so

3  7  12  18  25
Looks fairly random until I write in the differences

3 (4) 7 (5) 12 (6) 18 (7) 25

So in the test,  write on a piece of paper quickly the number sequence and then write in the differences. 

For the other math part,  I found a good heaping of the questions dealt with grade 10 math.  http://www.stfx.ca/special/mathproblems/grade10.html <--easier than this

(I'm not saying this to you,  but to others who might read this thread)
One thing I have learned about the CF,  is that you will have frustrating setbacks trying to get in.  I've not met anyone who did not have a "recruiting nightmare story".  The ones in the uniform are the ones who like me stuck it out.  :brickwall:  <-- the wall does break.

I was told a while ago (somewhere) that pilot was the one that required the highest score

Actually AEC requires the highest score. The pilot cut-off is the same for all other officer occupations except AEC.

Sorry about before, I was born in British Columbia but i live in Guelph now.  I mixed that up.  I am currently applying for the 11th field and have my CFAT on Tuesday.  So with a 132 IQ how will I do on the CFAT? :)

But aren't aptitude tests and IQ tests close to being the same, only with a few differences? I'm going to practice and refresh my math skills also so in your opinion will i do well, taking into consideration my high IQ score.

Get over it kid.  Your IQ may be a lot less tomorrow, without a good nights sleep. 

Perhaps you want to hear it?

You will fail but don't worry you only have to wait three months to write again.  Feel better?

It's a simple question and I was just looking for some help here.  I didn't mean to be so persistant.  Thanks for the help anyway.

Anyways, in my opinion, how well you do on the CFAT doesn't mean anything as long as you can get into the trade you want... 

IQ really means nothing...  Some people have 150+ IQ and are socially stupid.

Max

Burke69 said:
i took an IQ test and got a 132, how well will i do on my CFAT?

Ummm...I'm sorry but 132 is your IQ and your ICQ number? At least your profile says so... ???

@ Burke:  I am a fairly intelligent person but I was the definition of brain dead the day I wrote the test. I never got my score but I am sure I did not do very well.  The math and English portions are fairly easy but if you aren't 100% for the test the spatial portion could be killer.  I thought I would do well on the spatial but to me it was like trying to read Chinese, nothing clicked.

That said I wasn't denied my trade of choice.

Hmm... the IQ Test versus the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test.

There are some similarities and differences...

The similarities:  Both are "standardized" tests.  This is a test that compares the writers performance in each topic on the test to a "norm" or criterion.  The "norm" is generally established using a huge statistical analysis of a large number of people who wrote the test. 

The differences:  The CFAT is a tool designed to measure your abilities, knowledge and skills.  The IQ test is a cognitive ability tool designed to measure the concept of intelligence.  Is intelligence one of the abilities, pieces of knowledge or skills the CFAT is trying to measure?  I would suspect not.  I base this on the fact that I have done both, and do not remember a large overlap in types of questions.  The IQ test is a very involved procedure.  An IQ test also could not be given at a CFRC because of they way the test is set up, and who is authorized to give it.  Thus, I would not say the IQ test and the CFAT scores are correlated (although it would be a neat study). 

Is IQ important?  Sure it is.  IQ is positively correlated with educational achievement (including school grades), the amount of money you will earn over a lifetime, the IQ of your partner, status in society, adult morbidity and mortality, and job performance.  If you want to know the actual correlations, let me know and I will dig it up.  If I remember, most are in the 0.40 range.  I have an article somewhere around here.  It does not measure the concept of "wisdom" or "social intelligence" which is a different concept as someone mentioned. 

That being said, is someone with a high IQ going to do better on the CFAT... maybe.  I would even go so far as to say probability.  But it is not a sure thing. 

Assuming a score of 132 is correct (based on a proper test, given by a qualified professional, and NOT an Internet or self-test) you would have an IQ score in the top 2% of people in the world (the 98th percentile cut off is an IQ of 131 - the 15th standard deviation).  You are also qualified to join Mensa International... if you care. 

So... there are my meanderings of the day.  Back to work.

MC

Burke69 said:
Thanks, luckily I'm good with spacial stuff.

Here is a nice, simple definition of aptitude from Wikipedia; not always the greatest source, but it summarizes it nicely.

"An aptitude is an innate inborn ability to do a certain kind of work. Aptitudes may be physical or mental. Many of them have been identified and are testable"

I don't understand why people get their underwear in a knot over this test, it's not a skills test. It's not so much what you know now, but what can you be taught down the road. You're going to be on course, preparing for course, looking for a course, or dreading a course for your entire military career; they just want to measure if you can probably learn what they're going to teach you.

Dude, don't worry about it, just have a Kit Kat and go write the test. Seriously. It'll be fine.

potato

i took an IQ test and got a 132, how well will i do on my CFAT?

How would we know? What was on this IQ test? Who wrote the IQ test? How does it compare to the questions asked in the CFAT?

Really, I would say you can brush up on your math skills but the rest....you either have it or you don't. The most important thing is how you go about taking the test in my opinion. Good luck.

Back