• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I took an iq test and got 66.

I was told by my teacher that if it were a genuine test, I wouldn't be able to pass his class.  >:D

I scored well on my aptitude test, and was told i qualified for all trades. I remember seeing a sheet, but that was months ago. I suppose if I ever wish to change trades, say in the next 2 or so years, I'll see it again?

spud said:
Here is a nice, simple definition of aptitude from Wikipedia; not always the greatest source, but it summarizes it nicely.

"An aptitude is an innate inborn ability to do a certain kind of work. Aptitudes may be physical or mental. Many of them have been identified and are testable"

I don't understand why people get their underwear in a knot over this test, it's not a skills test. It's not so much what you know now, but what can you be taught down the road. You're going to be on course, preparing for course, looking for a course, or dreading a course for your entire military career; they just want to measure if you can probably learn what they're going to teach you.

Dude, don't worry about it, just have a Kit Kat and go write the test. Seriously. It'll be fine.

potato

"If he's deserves a Kitkat, you do too" haha

on a serious note, spud is right. It's how much you can learn, although I don't believe it can tell how fast you can learn it.

MikeG said:
Who wrote the IQ test?

I don't think there that many IQ tests circulating...
It seem a tedious process to elabore and test one...
I saw only 2 when I did my degree in psychology,
but much more personality tests (was more involve
with student council, so I may have missed a few things)

I remember when I did my test, I thought that it didn't go very well...
I didn't have time to complete the test. Freaky!
They didn't give me the result, they said you're OK with the trade you put in for...PH TECH 646.
Anyway, I found out years later that I scored a 75 percentile on that one, and I could have qualified for pretty much 80% of the trades.

To me, the fact that the test is long is just to add up a little bit of stress to the mix. Then, who knows how they score, what is the exact importance of each sections of the test...
Me being so used to use a calculator when I was a student ( grade 7 when we started using it), I had to quickly remember how to calculate by hand. Not pretty!

Thrust yourself, and work on the Maths! :cdn:

Edited for typos quite a few times! :'(

Do the math work, and then do what you would do before any major test / exam. Being awake and alert and not hung over will take you through half the test, because part of it you either know, or you don't. Being able to figure out which of the two applys might mean the difference between a pass and fail when times starts ticking down and you're forced to make random guesses.

I would suggest a site called Public Service Prep (http://www.publicserviceprep.com/)

I registered for $140.00 CDN, and it gives you a year subscription to use their practice CFAT exams as much as you want.  They had 5 practice exams for each part of the test.  It was a big help considering I only had my Grade 10 math back in highschool.  I found that the practice exams on the site were actually more difficult than the exam itself.

I think I did fairly well on the test considering when they gave me the sheet with all the trades I was eligible to apply for it was filled from top to bottom..

Wow, that sound's great.  I'll keep that in mind in the future.  I took my test on Monday and i aced it.  Thanks for the help guys.

I didn't see the exact sheet with my scores, but my career counselor told me during my interview that I qualified for my trade as a SigOp. He mentioned that my Verbal and Spatial ability wasn't too good, but I had about a 66% on my math section....which is odd I found especially when he mentioned that I was close to qualifying for the ROTP. To be honest, I wasn't exactly prepared, and I was scared that I flunked my Verbal and Spatial. I don't know how they mark this test but hey, I passed lol.

You paid 140$ to write tests on-line? I've been told there are similar practice tests for free. There are links to these tests on this web site. I've also been told there is a sucker born every minute. ;D

Was I supposed to study for the aptitude test? Just kidding!

There are many free online tests. So, before you go paying $140 (hmmm my spidey sense makes me wonder if he's got shares in that company) remember: Google is your friend.

Personally, I thought the aptitude test was easy, but I know many people struggled with it. I hadn't been in formal school in about 20 yrs when I took the test so I brushed up using online ability tests and challenging my friends to take them too (as a gauge).

My understanding is: depending on the trade you are applying for, you require different scores. So use the 'search' button on this site and try some online tests if you're worried. Good luck.

Yeah, I took some of those free online practice exams, which are many times harder then the actual test.

All it did was give me an idea of what I was going into. Did it help me? Not one bit. Calmed me down a little beforehand, but did NOTHING for preparing me.

Which is a good thing, because if they wanted you to study for the test, they would have issued you a study package.

The way it was explained to me was that the entire point of the test was to check learning potential. That is, to see how quickly you can process information.

It just seems to me that studying for the test and getting a higher score then you normally would could bite you in the arse if you get a occupation that has far too much information for you to process in the time given. You end up frigging yourself before you even start. (It was explained to me that a fairly high score was required for courses requiring POET [for example], as the course had a large volume of information which was required to be taught in a very short timespan)

The best advice I heard about the CFAT was to use an exam mentality for preparing for the test. Well rested, well fed, hydrated, and mentally awake (I woke up at 4am to be sure that I was fully awake for the test).

SeanC said:
I would suggest a site called Public Service Prep (http://www.publicserviceprep.com/)

I registered for $140.00 CDN, and it gives you a year subscription to use their practice CFAT exams as much as you want.  They had 5 practice exams for each part of the test.  It was a big help considering I only had my Grade 10 math back in highschool.  I found that the practice exams on the site were actually more difficult than the exam itself.

I think you got snookered.  I went to a Government of Canada site and did a sample test there this weekend for free.  It is marked and scored at the click of a button when you finish and you can print it out.  All for free. 

For further ideas on how to study or practice for these tests, do a SEARCH.  These topics have been covered before and some good links provided to all kinds of practice tests, including IQ Tests for those so inclined.

Actually to be honest, I would rather pay the $140.00 and get practice exams that are exactly the same format as the CFAT then to do some free online iq test that is most likely nothing like the actual test. 

To each their own I spose... 

It's not an IQ test. It tests aptitude in pretty much the exact same areas that the CFAT will. I have taken both and the test that GW suggested to you will help and also save you $140.00.

There is also plenty of advice on these army.ca forums as well that I found useful. It just takes a bit a time to search up...much better than wasting $140.00.

You're right though...to each his own. If thy wants to waste his money; thou shall.

Something that increased the chances of passing the pilot program, I would consider worthwhile... Because retesting is -hugely- expensive... Testing for the CFAT, which you can retest for free after a certain period of time, I'd rather just take tests 'like the CFAT' for free...

What I recommend to pass the CFAT:

1) Read and understand at least two novels considered to be good literature (Hemmingway, Callaghan, Austen, Dickens, Atwood, Odaatje, et-cetera.) If you want a really high score, go with Milton or Shakespeare.

2) Know Newton's laws of physics.

Yet another amusing anecdote.  When I wrote mine (too long ago to mention here) I missread the title of the section about mechanical comprehension.  I thought it was titled mechanical compression and went into a tail spin.  I thought "Jesus just what does a grunt need to know this stuff for!".  After I read the first couple of questions I settled down and re-read the title (and of course felt like an ass).
    As it turns out I didn't need to worry as I did very well on the test any way. (Still chose Infantry though.... Go figure!)

What I recommend to pass the CFAT:

1) Read and understand at least two novels considered to be good literature (Hemmingway, Callaghan, Austen, Dickens, Atwood, Odaatje, et-cetera.) If you want a really high score, go with Milton or Shakespeare.

2) Know Newton's laws of physics.

And while your at it, make sure you know the atomic weights of the entire periodic table of elements, and the alphabet in at least 3 languages....  ::)

[edit: spelling error. I knew that looked wrong, but spellcheck didn't pick it up and I decided to be lazy]

Klc said:
And while your at it, make sure you know the atomic weights of the entire periodic table of elements, and the alphabit in at least 3 languages....  ::)

Obviously you did not follow your own advice .........

Klc said:
And while your at it, make sure you know the atomic weights of the entire periodic table of elements, and the alphabit in at least 3 languages....  ::)

No, I just recommend those two points. Forget the Einstein and Quantum physics stuff.

Oh, and Klc... maybe knowing how to spell alphabet!?!  ::)

Back