• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

:cdn: i did pretty bad on the cfat and as told ill have a chance to do it again after 3 months i found this site pretty dame handy http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

Just get a good sleep the night before, don't be nervous about the test or anything when you do it, an most of all read the questions an all the answers, don't try to rush through it.

Its really not to difficult, I suck at math an I still did pretty well on the CFAT.

I think the CFs stance is pretty simple, you need to pass all 4 tests to get in. Just because you can pass the interview doesn't mean anything if you fail the CFAT or any other test. It may be tough but they need some way to screen potential members.

:cdn: i faild just the cfat. again was told that i could never reapply to the army for the rest of my life if i dont pass the cfat the 2nd time around. is this true??

I was wondering...I don't know if it's called the "Aptitude test," but what the math questions consist of? Basic multiplication/subtraction/division? or is it going to be like  t26 niner x=emrc to the multiple of the universe times the atoms of ten four = the galaxy.

I tried looking for an example test but I couldn't find one. I'm not the brightest bulb in the math department.  ^-^

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:  - Emilio

Basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division of fractions and decimals.  Most of the time it is in the form of a problem solving question, but not always.

Just as I soothed. What happens if you don't do so well on the math section?

They castrate you and kill your kittens.

C'mon, what say we think this through for a second?  You're doing a test...and you can't answer some questions.  Now, using past experience and applying a bit of logic, what do you suppose the reprecussions could be?

48Highlander said:
They castrate you and kill your kittens.

C'mon, what say we think this through for a second?   You're doing a test...and you can't answer some questions.   Now, using past experience and applying a bit of logic, what do you suppose the reprecussions could be?

They give you your travel costs and wish you good luck with life.

RossF said:
They give you your travel costs and wish you good luck with life.

Not true exactly, you may have you selection of trades limited, but a poor showing on the math side will not automatically eliminate you. Oh and don't worry, this is the hardest part of the math;

Formal Integral Definition:
f(x) dx = lim (d -> 0)  (k=1..n) f(X(k)) (x(k) - x(k-1)) when...

a = x0 < x1 < x2 < ... < xn = b
d = max (x1-x0, x2-x1, ... , xn - x(n-1))
x(k-1) <= X(k) <= x(k)    k = 1, 2, ... , n
F '(x) dx = F(b) - F(a) (Fundamental Theorem for integrals of derivatives)  ;D

Island rhyno : I don't remember that the questions were so simple !  ;) piece of cake!

Seriously, study your basic math and you should do fine and if you mess up, then try again! How bad do you want this? hehehe...

Good luck !  :salute:

I am wondeing if anyone has an answer to this question I have?

Right now I am a 21 year old male and I have taken the CFAT 2 times without passing it for the trade as Infantry. I have alot if not more common sense then most 21 year old guys i know. Ive lived on my own since 16 and have had a full time job since while completing High school and geting my High school diploma.

I know that the requirements for getting this trade are not as high but I just cant seem to do good on the CFAT. Im not to good at tests and i can get  a good night sleep, a good morning meal and also study but when it gets down to it I just seem to go blank and screw it up!

I really would like to make the Canadian forces a career and I just cant find an in. So my question is to any of the Directing staff or experienced recuriting staff is there anything I can do? for example a waiver.

Thanks for you time. I am not stupid i am educated I do currently have my private pilots license. Im just not good at tests! Currently I work on the oil rigs and I just want to do what i always wanted to be....
A Solider!

Thanks Nitz, you're the only one that gave me an answer without hostility  :D

As for the rest...This is a recruiting forum, where you ask questions; even the stupid ones should be answered.  I swear the second I ask a question I have 8 guys on me; "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!  OMG YOU IDIOT! OUT OF WHOS WOMB DID YOU ESCAPE FROM!? ARE YOU STUPID!?"  I'm just asking questions.

I'm going Infantry...just infantry. And I was curious. That's all. Sorry if that's too much to ask for.

Out of the honest questions i've asked, i've got nothing but hostile responses from everyone.

You will find a lot of hostility here for almost any question you ask. Some people think that everyone should know as much as they do (or in many cases as little as they really know) about the CF. There seem to be a few people that will give you a straight answer though, you just have to wade through the bulls**it to get to it.

No disrespect, but if someone can't perform on the CFAT due to stress issues, I would be forced to question their ability to perform under other stressors like those encountered during basic training and on deployment.

Obviously you are familiar with the content of the CFAT.   I would recommend you try various methods of study.   The internet is an excellent tool and offers several sample tests, in particular vocab, spacial ability, problem solving and math.

Here are a couple of sites I used when I last took the CFAT:

http://www.math.com/
http://www.vocabulary.com/
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/howtojoin/aptitude_test_e.aspx

Good Luck

The problem isn't stress at all, sorry I didn't really specify what my problem is. I just haven't done good on the numerical ability part of the CFAT. I do good on everything else. I am going to study some more math, I just dint see how me doing not to well on the math section would make me fail?

Anyways I am fully aware of all of the resources available to me to prepare Just wondering if there is if any way to get a waiver on if I do not do very well on the numerical ability section of the test!

Thx again.

Also thx Mcpl PPCLI for your input....its appreciated! :salute:

Thatslife,

The general concensus on the CFAT problem solving section is that you ought to have at least grade 10 level math - that means addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions and decimals. Basic algebra is important too. Pay attention to word problems and number sequences.   If you have trouble with math - go find a tutor - it can make a huge difference especially if you don't have a lot of time to prepare by taking a course. There are links to other tests if you use the search function under the CFAT topic in recruiting. I suspect posters get sensitive about the CFAT because they don't want to give any advantage to someone by revealing too much information; it's all about maintaining a level playing field.

mdh

i hate to say it, but since it is a multiple choice test, there's always the option of guessing.

or, do what i did- i'm not the smartest guy, mathematically-speaking, so i did what i could to speed up my math questions.
usually two of the four answers are easily identifiable as wrong.. all i did was plug in one of the two solutions into the equation and solved it backwards. :)

end result? when i finished my CFAT, i was told that i had scored high on everything and was open to any CF career (barring, of course, medical screening)

Thank you guys for the responses, these ones actually helped me out alot  :salute:

Looks like i'm going to have to brush up on abit of Math. But i'm in Math Essentials. They don't teach the same curriculum as the regular Math, that's why I was alittle worried and asked the question.

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:

ThatsLife,

Practice a little with this test:
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_test_e.htm

It is a good idea to do a search on this forum for 'practice tests' etc. CFAT math questions have been brought up numerous times, and lots of good advice was given. So take the time to locate it and read through.

Pieman

Back