• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"

gryphonv said:
We all know what it'll take to fix this, but we'll never have a politician with the fortitude to even attempt it. Cash handouts and apologizing only exasperates things in the end.

Actually, there have been a few; some of them 'Indigenous' Members of Parliament or the Senate.  There were proposals to do away with the Indian Act, but all attempts were shot down.

On that note:  How many 'Indigenous' Members of Parliament and Senators have we seen over the years?  Quite a few.  Elijah Harper played a prominent role as a Member of Parliament. 

George Wallace said:
As an aside; I have never seen a 'Black' Mi'kmaw before. :dunno:  A first for me.

I  grew up in Southern Alberta, between the Peigan and Blood tribes.  These folks looked as one would expect First Nations peoples to be. It wasn't until I was posted to NS that I have come across numerous times, men and women who identify as Mi'kmaw but are as fair skinned etc as I am.  :stars:  I also know some fine gentlemen who also identify as Mi'kmaw, they do look as one would expect a First Nations member to appear with respect to skin tone, facial features etc.  :dunno:

i have a friend, full status from Ontario.  He's as ginger as my neighbour's cat, and if he was any paler, he'd be transparent.  SPF 3000 is his skin lotion of choice.

recceguy said:
Their venue sucked, but standing around with a Red Ensign, in a park is not illegal. If the videos are true and they did nothing, CAF shouldn't even get involved.

Inclined to agree.

If they didn't identify themselves as members of the CAF and they didn't break any laws then why would th CAF be involved?

recceguy said:
Their venue sucked, but standing around with a Red Ensign, in a park is not illegal. If the videos are true and they did nothing, CAF shouldn't even get involved.

How do you discipline someone for upholding their Charter Rights.

I agree with RG on this one.  I also think it applies to trying to nail someone in the CAF for what they post on their FB page too.  We are, afterall, Canadian citizens too right??

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-15.html

Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

I'd like to see someone other than the police, let's say, tell me I can't walk thru a public area in Halifax etc.  Good luck.

George Wallace said:
... How many 'Indigenous' Members of Parliament and Senators have we seen over the years?  Quite a few. Elijah Harper played a prominent role as a Member of Parliament.
Yup on both, for sure, but on the bit in orange, his most prominent role (like it or not) was his voting against the Meech Lake Accord as a Manitoba legislator, just before he was an MP.
George Wallace said:
... I have never seen a 'Black' Mi'kmaw before ...
I see lots of Cree & Ojibway in northern Ontario who look like what one might expect Aboriginals look like, but I've also seen First Nation folks here and in southern Ontario who look lighter than olive-skinned me.  Drive into Minnesota, and (because of the history of the area), some are even fairer with Scandanavian family names.  It's almost like saying what an Italian looks like - depends on where they're from & what the history of the area is.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
... Anyone here ever heard that the old Canadian flag ... is considered the "equivalent to the Confederate flag? I've never heard that before ...
First I've heard of that specific comparison, too.  That said, based on the narrative of "we've been screwed over by the old bosses over the years" (more on that in this book - links to Amazon), one interpretation of that narrative is that a flag from those older days could be seen to represent the old bosses and their screwing over.  Your read/mileage may vary ...

ModlrMike said:
I'm not sure 129 is a valid option here as I don't fully see the military nexus. That being said, Remedial Measures are absolutely the way to go.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that the pics screen-capped from their facebook pages prior to them battening down their hatches wearing that alt-right hate group shirt may cause them to have some serious explaining to do.  Belonging to such groups is a sound "nada" for serving members.

Having visited this groups web-site this morning, all I can say is ugggghhhh.

Oh - and they also made the alt-right group's main webpage --- they seem quite pleased to see these five out "representing" in their polo shirts.

The CTV news coverage about the RCN members involved in the protest disruption, with MND's comments.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-is-a-british-colony-group-disrupts-mi-kmaq-ceremony-in-halifax-1.3487246

ArmyVern said:
Having visited this groups web-site this morning, all I can say is ugggghhhh.

So much wrong with that blog; bordering on hate speech.  It is inciting others to take action against these five persons.  It is slanderous.  It fringes on invasion of privacy.

[Edit:  This is the blog I was referring to:  http://anti-racistcanada.blogspot.ca/2017/07/military-proud-boys-disrupt-mikmaw.html ]

George Wallace said:
So much wrong with that blog; bordering on hate speech.  It is inciting others to take action against these five persons.  It is slanderous.  It fringes on invasion of privacy.

I'm talking about the hate group's website ... they are pretty proud of their 5 proud boys representing in  their colours.

Both sides are wrong here, but it doesn't excuse these five as possibly serving CAF members.  NDA is only applicable to them (if serving, if RegF).

George Wallace said:

No one seems to care about that George, they're out for blood. If the protesters were burning a Canadian Flag and the five members did the same thing, no one would be saying anything. I also noticed the protestors are using the publicity of this to garner donations. ::)

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/le_loutre_jean_louis_4E.html

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/mascarene_paul_3E.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ligonier,_1st_Earl_Ligonier

I've been looking up Proud Boys. There is no consensus out there. Far left call them alt-right, others say they are centrist on western values and it goes on and on. Nobody is quite sure of what they are. They are an enigma, per se.

I don't think their site is anything special. It's not full of hate speech and confederate banter. They appear to have members of most ethnic and political stripes.

They are right of centre, but the site appears only to counter the bullshit from the left.

They certainly appear NOT to be an alt-right hate group.

A fraternal organisation based on western values (as they see them). There is nothing wrong with that.

Let's remember who controls the MSM and pushes the leftist agenda, that is pigeon holing the group, before we clamour over ourselves to be first in line to condemn them.

Chief Stoker said:
No one seems to care about that George, they're out for blood. If the protesters were burning a Canadian Flag and the five members did the same thing, no one would be saying anything. I also noticed the protestors are using the publicity of this to garner donations. ::)

Difference is that one group is not subject to the provisions of the NDA while others within the group of 5 may be. The NDA-liable folk don't get a walk or a bye because both groups happen to be moronic idiots.

ArmyVern said:
I'm talking about the hate group's blog ... they are pretty proud of their 5 proud boys representing.

I don't usually even venture into, on, around sites like that...ever.  I don't want them in my History or them to have my IP, that kinda stuff.  I've never heard of this group Proud Boys before...however, watching the majority of the 8 minute video that is on the web about this, the female with the glasses was the one I felt was being the most...ignorant, racist-leaning talker, whatever the right term is.

I don't know about Proud Boys and all that stupid kind of stuff, I stay away from that crap.  I don't agree with protestors, of any kind, for any reason, telling other Canadians they can't go here or there, you have to be quiet, get rid of your flag, etc because it is the opposite of their message.  Something about double standards...

If the citizens protesting the treatment of natives from XXX years ago have the freedom of association, peaceful protest, speech etc then everyone else should have it, too.  Serving members included.

I was also not fuckin' impressed to see an upside down Canadian flag with writing or drawing or whatever was on it.  I think you're asking for trouble when you do stupid shit like that, and I don't care one rats ass what the reason is. 

Eye In The Sky said:
... Serving members included ...

Yet, you know that is not the case.  We are expected to hold, and are held, to a higher standard.

ArmyVern said:
Difference is that one group is not subject to the provisions of the NDA while others within the group of 5 may be. The NDA-liable folk don't get a walk or a bye because both groups happen to be moronic idiots.

True, it was stupid. If I was walking by and saw the Canada flag being burned or in this case it was being flown upside down, I may of intervened and been stupid as well. From the video footage I have seen there were more words being thrown on the protest side then on the other, still they were in the wrong and must reap the consequences.

Chief Stoker said:
True, it was stupid. If I was walking by and saw the Canada flag being burned or in this case it was being flown upside down, I may of intervened and been stupid as well. From the video footage I have seen there were more words being thrown on the protest side then on the other, still they were in the wrong and must reap the consequences.

I think it's the hate group bit that's the difference between you and them and  the bit that will eventually cause the greatest fallout from this.  Many of us who serve would be pissed to see disrespect to the Flag we serve under and would really think about intervening.  But, thank fuck, I don't think many of us - ideally none of us - would belong to hate groups either.

ArmyVern said:
Yet, you know that is not the case.  We are expected to hold, and are held, to a higher standard.

According to the Charter, that is the case.  Mark my words...someone, sooner or later, will challenge this is a court (CAF rules contrary to the Charter) and they'll win.  Why should my rights and freedoms be less than any other citizen? 

*I don't agree with racist crap and association with racist crap groups...that's not my argument. 

Eye In The Sky said:
According to the Charter, that is the case.  Mark my words...someone, sooner or later, will challenge this is a court (CAF rules contrary to the Charter) and they'll win.  Why should my rights and freedoms be less than any other citizen? 

*I don't agree with racist crap and association with racist crap groups...that's not my argument.

And yet the Supreme Court continues to rule that the NDA is acceptable as it applies to CAF members and our "unique" requirements of service when Charter Challenges have been brought before it.

Back