• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial Pin

An SSI might help hi-light the fact that there are many who have not spent much of their careers at sea.

I don't think it'll be as much one-upsmanship as you may think, but I also think that recognition of how much time you've actually been at sea isn't such a bad thing....especially when they've taken away some of that recognition by removing the ability to award the SSM(NATO) for 180 days of NATO time.

All that said, the salt behind some of the "old salts" usually speaks for itself.....and those who know, do.  Those who don't know, talk about doing.

NS

Been wearing 'green' for 28 years now & have been posted to a naval reserve for the last 4 years ; I'm proud to wear the pin on my CADPAT slip-on.  :salute:  :cdn:

IMHO, the SSI was thrown in the mix to "appease the mass" because the officers were getting the curl back.

If going back to "tradition" was the reason for the return of the executive curl, then why haven't the C&POs got their sleeves buttons back?

RumRunner said:
IMHO, the SSI was thrown in the mix to "appease the mass" because the officers were getting the curl back.

If going back to "tradition" was the reason for the return of the executive curl, then why haven't the C&POs got their sleeves buttons back?

Not to seem ignorant but what are sleeve buttons other than the obvious and what do they signify?

Further more as a die-hard Armour Crewman I think the Navy should go back to the tradition of old and start wearing the old style round Dory plug hats instead of our Black Beret  ::)

although I agree with getting rid of the Black Beret I would prefer we just go to wearing our ballcaps instead.  Leave the plugs for the cadets.

It used to be that CPO's wore 3 buttons on the cuff of the sleeve as rank indicators just as the Royal Navy still does.

The buttons were not in the mix as that would not have appeased the mass plus it was a lot easier to get the Admirals to support the curl.

RumRunner said:
Not at all - the SSI was CMS' preferred initiative and was in the works before the executive curl. The curl had been proposed internally and thumbs-downed by CMS earlier; in the end it was essentially thrust on him by Parliament and the Minister, as I understand it.

Tank Troll said:
Further more as a die-hard Armour Crewman I think the Navy should go back to the tradition of old and start wearing the old style round Dory plug hats instead of our Black Beret  ::)
Since the tank is an offspring of the navy (The Royal Navy and the Landships Committee of 1915) - what would you wear if the naval black beret disappeared?  ;D

Lex Parsimoniae said:
Since the tank is an offspring of the navy (The Royal Navy and the Landships Committee of 1915) - what would you wear if the naval black beret disappeared?  ;D

HAHAHA

My uncle is a long retired RCD WO, we have this "disscussion" all the time.

jollyjacktar said:
I personally don't feel the need to proclaim my sea time with a badge.  I'm not a Yank or a Boy Scout.

Personally, I am looking forward to wearing the SSI.  Yes, it was my choice to transfer from Navy to Air Force, but my heart is still at sea.  The SSI will give me the chance to show my background and still have a part of the Navy with me.

I can understand your feelings Mich.  I am all for those who will derive pleasure from this, and will happily appaud as I always do for folks getting awards as I truly want to congradulate their accomplishments.

But for myself, I don't go for badges and the like.  Don't get me wrong I have a sense of satisfaction or pride if you will in my service here and there.  I just keep that stuff inside of me and don't share it out.  Like my Birthday for instance, no cards from the family, no cakes, or gifts from my wife at my request.  Character flaw I guess.

Back