• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Nevertheless I think it was difficult for DnD to justify their budget and existence without deploying them to Afghanistan.  Just MHO though.

KevinB said:
Mark Carey of Spartan Blades is a former US SF guy and is based out of Bragg/Fayettville.  Maybe someone posted down South as a LO (or whatever) struck up a deal.

There has been numerous times where CSOR dudes are working with the US teams in the last 3-4 yrs. Likely the idea got introduced somewhere along the way.

I like it; adds a modern twist on the historical records.

It is a pretty cool knife.  I just don't have the cash to grab one  :'(

X_para76 said:
My understanding as to why Jtf-2 was deployed to Afghanistan is even though it was outside the unit's mandate of domestic CT op's. DND had this unit with a multi-million dollar budget and couldn't defend the idea of not deploying them to Afghanistan to the government.  Which is somewhat understandable.

1)  This is the CSOR thread, not JTF-2.
2)  JTF-2's mandate covers more than domestic CT.
3)  The government has many ways of addressing its foreign policy objectives, including deploying military forces.
4)  Individual units don't decide whether or not they want to deploy somewhere as a means of justifying their existence.

X_para76 said:
My understanding as to why Jtf-2 was deployed to Afghanistan is even though it was outside the unit's mandate of domestic CT op's. DND had this unit with a multi-million dollar budget and couldn't defend the idea of not deploying them to Afghanistan to the government.  Which is somewhat understandable.

Into the eggnog a little early this year?

X_para76 said:

Taken from CANSOFCOM website:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-special-forces/index.page

Operational Tasks

CANSOFCOM has five strategic tasks:

Provide advice on special operations to the Chief of the Defence Staff and other CAF operational commanders;
Generate deployable, high readiness Special Operations Forces (SOF) capable of deploying as part of a broader CAF operation, or independently;
Conduct and command SOF operations on behalf of the CDS;
Continuously develop SOF capabilities and tactics; and
Maintain and promote relationships with Canadian security partners and allied special operations forces.
In support of these strategic tasks, CANSOFCOM personnel are organized, trained, equipped and always ready to conduct a wide variety of operational tasks. These tasks include:

Hostage rescue;
Direct action;
CBRN crisis response;
Sensitive site exploitation;
Combating Weapons of Mass Destruction;
Maritime special operations;
Support to non-combatant evacuation operations;
Special protection operations; and
Defence, diplomacy and military assistance.
The small size and unique capabilities of CANSOFCOM provide Canada with an agile, adaptive, and rapidly deployable military response.

Please be quiet already  :)

Well I stand corrected! I appreciated the sarcasm from the usual cast of characters  as well as a few new people! 

X_para76 said:
I appreciated the sarcasm from the usual cast of characters  as well as a few new people!

For the record, I'd just like it noted that I deleted my sarcasm and just posted facts.  :nod:

The poster remains on <ignore> given his track-record of bumbling outside his lane and continued inability to post informed opinions.

That's a sexy knife but wouldn't they be worried about loosing their $500 knife if they miss when they throw it at a bad guy? 

KevinB said:
It is a pretty cool knife.  I just don't have the cash to grab one  :'(

Just get a job in any HQ from Bde level on up and you will be highly likely to collect one between the shoulder blades in due course.  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152060277359583.1073741856.100533039582&type=3

Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo. Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR

KerryBlue said:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152060277359583.1073741856.100533039582&type=3

Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo. Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR

Seen those photos with captions.  Plus, I read the article.  Unfortunately, as you seem to have pointed out, there are no visible minorities in the photos.  Also, in the captions on the photos, and in the narrative, there is no mention of foreign troops involved.

KerryBlue said:
... american multi-cam ...
Are they in American uniforms, or just multi-cam uniforms? 
There are 27 countries using multi-cam.  It is the new woodland pattern in that everybody is wearing it.

KerryBlue said:
Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo.

Not everyone in those photos are CSOR.

KerryBlue said:
Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR
The troops in the white/grey/black camo are members of 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group; they are most likely portraying a foreign unit for this exercise.  It is pretty common for troops doing OPFOR/COEFOR to be wearing non Canadian uniforms.

Here's a excerpt from the article saying who is taking part in this training.
As members of the Canadian Armed Forces, both CSOR and 2 CMBG train to maintain readiness in order to respond when asked to by the Government of Canada. This joint training enabled personnel from each organization to apply their skill sets and learn from each other.

MCG said:
Are they in American uniforms, or just multi-cam uniforms? 
There are 27 countries using multi-cam.  It is the new woodland pattern in that everybody is wearing it.

You are correct MCG, I apologize for my error.

-Skeletor- said:
Not everyone in those photos are CSOR.
The troops in the white/grey/black camo are members of 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group; they are most likely portraying a foreign unit for this exercise.  It is pretty common for troops doing OPFOR/COEFOR to be wearing non Canadian uniforms.

Here's a excerpt from the article saying who is taking part in this training.

Sorry skeletor must have missed that somehow. Interesting to know about OPFOR/COEFOR wearing non Canadian uniforms.

KerryBlue said:
Interesting to know about OPFOR/COEFOR wearing non Canadian uniforms.
PXR points have noted that troops find it "troubling" to shoot at 'Canadian' soldiers; several units have gone to non-CADPAT for the bad guys.

I always preferred the torn t-shirt and cam cream look:
8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJfEQQ_Tl_o

More for the photo fans:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=710113765682608&set=pb.207409132619743.-2207520000.1387640856.&type=3&permPage=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=710113569015961&set=pb.207409132619743.-2207520000.1387640856.&type=3&permPage=1

Back