• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)

Considering this year is the 10th Anniversary of CSOR, perhaps HM signature is forthcoming in time for it.

George Wallace said:
OK.  Their Battle Honours perpetuate the FSSF.  This has been known for some time now.

There is still one signature missing, and that is that of EIIR.
Would this require a royal signature?  Canada has patriated heraldry. 

Every heraldic Crest, etc. for the CAF that I have seen has had the Royal Signature of approval.  If you look at the old prints of Cap Badges and Unit/Formation Crests, the original copies have the Royal Signature.  I would not be surprised that it would also be the case here for the design of the Colours.  (Of course I could be wrong.)

We can find a good write up on Battle Honours on the The Regimental Rogue site that Michael O'Leary maintains.  They are approved by NDHQ. 

It is probably that most of what you have seen predates the establishment of the Canadian heraldic authority in 1988.  Have a look at these:

http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1253&ProjectImageID=1624

http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=355&ProjectImageID=351

http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2702&ProjectImageID=3882

... And more to the topic here:  http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2700&ShowAll=1

MCG said:
... And more to the topic here:  http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2700&ShowAll=1

Thanks for this update to changes.  (I have definitely fallen behind the times.)

I see that the Governor General is the approving authority now:

http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project-pic.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=2700&ProjectImageID=3877

Related to the above story:

Are you a ‘cognitive warrior?’ Canada’s special forces want you.

Canada’s special forces are looking for new members, but prepare to be tested — physically and mentally.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/06/25/special-forces-looking-for-cognitive-warrior.html

mariomike said:
I have a question about the attached pic. Is this the way they are trained to carry people off buses?

"Special Ops medics work on a mock bus explosion."

CANSOF's TTPs are secret, anyone who answers you is either:

a) lying; or
b) committing a crime.

mariomike said:
Thanks. Those who know don't say and those who say don't know?

If you'll pardon me asking, what's a TTP? Unless it's a secret of course.

Wonder why they allowed the pic to be published?

It must be a very secret way of carrying people off buses. I've certainly never seen it done that way until today.  :)

I know you're being cute (for some reason), but for the uninitiated:

TTPs are Tactics, Techniques and Procedures.  I appreciate you might not have seen it done that way, but who ever decided to release the picture wasn't disclosing TTPs, they were disclosing a picture without much context.  The scenario could have been "the bus is on fire, get the casualties off!"  We don't know.

You asked!

CCCB said:
I know you're being cute (for some reason), but for the uninitiated:

TTPs are Tactics, Techniques and Procedures.  I appreciate you might not have seen it done that way, but who ever decided to release the picture wasn't disclosing TTPs, they were disclosing a picture without much context.  The scenario could have been "the bus is on fire, get the casualties off!"  We don't know.

You asked!

Wow dude.
Just wow.

Could simply be, if the bus contains a high set of stairs, it was simply the easiest way to get the casualty out.

Not everything is a big secret.

Or they want to move CSOR to Ottawa, and are teaching them how to take the bus to work.

mariomike said:
It must be a very secret way of carrying people off buses. I've certainly never seen it done that way until today.  :)

The same thought crossed my mind as well.  It certainly violates the rules of body mechanics and patient handling I learned (and taught) over the years.

To speculate, we don't know the scenario.

Also, I suspect if the casualties were in a burning building, fully-trained and qualified firefighters and/or paramedics (sorry if I got the title wrong) may well carry out casualties by the most expedient method if that provided the best available means to get as many injured as possible clear of the danger.

But we don't know if the bus was burning or if there were other hazards present.

If you watch the W5 special, it was a bus attack. Unless things have changed, I was taught on my TCCC (2012) to move casualties out of danger ASAP, with only head/spinal support if practical and the suspected mechanism of injury indicated such support was needed. Seems from the video that they were evacing from the bus, triage on stretchers and moving to CCP for care.

Old Sweat said:
But we don't know if the bus was burning or if there were other hazards present.

Clearly, the scenario involved a party bus full of drunken Liberal MPs that ran out of gas near the local TV station in Alberta and they had to be evacuated by CSOR before the incident hit the 6 pm news. :)

PuckChaser said:
If you watch the W5 special, it was a bus attack. Unless things have changed, I was taught on my TCCC (2012) to move casualties out of danger ASAP, with only head/spinal support if practical and the suspected mechanism of injury indicated such support was needed. Seems from the video that they were evacing from the bus, triage on stretchers and moving to CCP for care.

I recall same from TCCC. A lot of things change in an active threat scenario- whether that be gunfire, secondary IEDs, fire, etc. While there is always a risk of aggravating existing injuries, the tactical situation may dictate that there is greater hazard in leaving casualties in situ. It may also be the case that limited supplies are on hand that would enable proper immobilization.

In civilian paramedicine, the situation will *nearly* always allow for the safe immobilization and proper extraction of a casualty where it is necessary. There is a reason that civilian paramedic qualifications are not an equivalency for tac med or TCCC. Even in the civilian world, active threat/shooter responses are increasingly emphasizing the employment of 'rescue teams' to extract casualties from a threat environment back to a CCP setting. The risk of further injury/death by gunfire can often outweigh the risk (relatively low) that prior gunfire has presented a danger of spinal injury. And in the scenario presented, a bus bombing, flames, secondary IEDs, and follow on ambush are likely deemed considerable risk.

Context is key.

PuckChaser said:
. . .  move casualties out of danger ASAP, with only head/spinal support if practical and the suspected mechanism of injury indicated such support was needed. . . .

Brihard said:
. . . allow for the safe immobilization and proper extraction of a casualty where it is necessary. . . . 

Context is key.

Yes , context is key.  But c-spine immobilization and immediate care in-situ is not what I (and I suspect mariomike) question.  It is the method of carry as performed by the soldier at the casualty's legs that has us puzzled.  The other soldier (at the head) is doing it right (or at least the way it was always done in the past); the one at the legs is doing it . . . . .I don't know what the **** he's doing or thinking.  Immediate removal of a casualty from danger - good.  But do it quick and do it as safely as possible.  Some basic principles of patient handling still apply - minimum handling and maximum protection, for the casualty and well as the rescuers.  If putting the casualty's legs on the rescuer's shoulders is a new protocol, so be it, but I don't see how that is an improvement over the legacy two-man fore and aft carry.

I would guess that with a lot of weighty and bulky kit on, and a bunch of broken people to get out of a really bad spot, while likely already tired, they go with what experience has shown works. It ain't gonna be pretty. You would likely see the same thing during the course of any conventional dismounted battle when shit circumstances necessitate moving casualties to a collection point with haste.

Back