• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Badges

Whats wrong with purchasing buttons, cap badges, collar dogs, mess kit or anything not available in the system???  If money is the issue i have to say bull s**t.  How many times have we "members of the forces" been on course and paid TD, FOA or a claim for a trip the well exceeded our expeditures. So don't tell me that $$ is a issue....I'm talking about PRIDE IN SERVICE...pride in ones self to dress smartly.  So public funds does not cover cost out of kit shops...WHO CARES...from all the courses iv been on....FOA and the other cash the army gives me has more than paid for the extras.

R013 said:
Whats wrong with purchasing buttons, cap badges, collar dogs, mess kit or anything not available in the system???  If money is the issue i have to say bull s**t.  How many times have we "members of the forces" been on course and paid TD, FOA or a claim for a trip the well exceeded our expeditures. So don't tell me that $$ is a issue....I'm talking about PRIDE IN SERVICE...pride in ones self to dress smartly.  So public funds does not cover cost out of kit shops...WHO CARES...from all the courses iv been on....FOA and the other cash the army gives me has more than paid for the extras.

And that's your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to it. My opinion is either way. Money is not an issue and if I were told I had no choice, I wouldn't put up a fight. I enjoy choosing my battles, and to me this is not one worth fighting. Besides, I follow orders.

BUT...

Some people have the opinion (which they are also entitled to) that they don't want to be told to pay for a part of a uniform they were issued in the first place. The argument here is that the shiny buttons and insignia is unit specific, so let the unit pay for it. Some units do. Some don't. Some units enforce the wearing of this kit, some don't. I would however, have to argue on behalf of the young private with little pay, no TD to speak of and all of his/her FOA (assuming they even get FOA) going to pay for the insurance on the piece of crap car they had to buy because of little or no credit / money to buy new... see where i'm going with this?  ;)

George. I would love to help you out but the pics? you posted are not visible on my monitor, could you describe it maybe?? Ubique

This forum has been dead for some time but I have couple questions reference cap badges.

I am an ROTP Nursing student, however I used to be an MSE Op in the reserves and was qualified to wear the Logistics badge. According to my SEM manual ROTP students are supposed to wear a cornflake until otherwise issued during their phase training. My question would be should I continue to wear my Log badge, revert to my cornflake, or wear a medical officer badge.

My second question is regards this image:

http://www.gcks.ca/catalog/images/AMDofficerscap.jpg

Is this the approved gold wire version of the medical cap badge?

CF Medical Services officers wear the cornflake (or previous service cap badge, in your case Logistics Branch) until they graduate from basic training (BMOQ), as that is when the Branch has accepted you on strength as a BTL Nursing Officer and starts to track you for career management purposes.  Prior to that, if you fail basic officer training (BMOQ) then you will not have been ever considered to be a member of the Medical Branch. 

That is the correct cap badge.  You can get it from the Training Centre in Borden along with a set of button (medical) and slip on's that say MEDICAL that you take to the taylor to get OCdt rank sewn on.  Stores will issue you the MEDICAL titles and collar dogs for your DEU. Let me know if you need a contact by PM.

Note that this is different for NCM's who are badged in front of the CFHS Memorial at the end of their QL3 Med Tech course.

MC 

MedCorps said:
Note that this is different for NCM's who are badged in front of the CFHS Memorial at the end of their QL3 Med Tech course.

I think that's a great tradition and something more branches should adopt.

We just got badged in the drill shed down the road on our grad parade after phase 1 of our 3's...but that was 22 years ago.  Glad they're doing it like that now.

MM

It really is quite the ceremony to see. Occurs after finishing all three phases of QL3 Med Tech training with the 200 odd training days normally the day before grad parade.  Getting your badge with your platoon mates in front of the hundreds of names of our fallen CFHS brothers and sisters from the South African War to Afghanistan is powerful.  The CSM of Topham Company or the TC CWO (if Medical Branch) conduct the ceremony, but all badged members from the Medical Branch are invited to attend to watch.  It is very informal, but strong words about dedication and service before self are said.

That night the newly badged medics sew the cap badge on and then (mostly) proceed on the piss, with the hopes of exercising enough self control with the drink to make it to grad parade in the morning. 

It is a good tradition, that started in the past two or so years.  We need more traditions like this.

MC

I got badged back when we still had metal badges - we marched up, the cornflake was removed and the snake put on...after the parade, we went outside and "disposed" of the old badges into the field outside of the drill shed.

MM

Back