• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC: "An 'embarrassing' gear shortage has Canadian troops in Latvia buying their own helmets"

The reasoning for the Hellyer reforms are easy enough to understand if you view this way.
Paul Hellyer was a driven ambitious man .
Mike Pearson put him in the Defence portfolio in order to neutralize and exile him .
Hellyer was not a stupid man he recognized this and amalgamation was his his reply .
The infuriating part for me is that our military was destroyed as an afterthought to someone's desire for higher office.

True, and I was only 6 years old when this happened. So therefore I shouldn't care right? But since I'm such a history nerd, I've read into the events that lead to that eventuality and the whole affair (unification, not the rationalization of common tasks) was so underhanded, soul destroying and un-necessary and that we are still trying to un-fuck it (around the edges). In light of how our current institutions work in this country today, executing policies is still done in a mainly secretive and underhanded manner with no real conversation of what the expected benefits to the nation are? What are the metrics? How are they measured? What is the end result?

What was unification supposed to do for Canada? Has it done any of these things?

#1 - Save Money
#2 - Make the CAF agile fighting force
#3 - ?
The biggest thing it wound up doing was to "create" the perception of acceptance for French language units and the implementation of French as a fact in day to day operations down to the unit level. The RCN, being by far the most English part of the Armed Forces, stood out as the Organization in need of the most re-education. How many Admirals resigned disagreeing about those changes?

My Dad joined the RCAF in April of 65 and three short years later I was a 7 year old kid asking my mom why Dad and his guys were crying after the passing out parade for the RCAF colours. She explained to me that they were saying goodbye to an old friend. The Seventies were not a fun decade for Dad . He only admitted after he retired how much he hated the green garbage bag as a uniform. So there was that.

Hellyer was not a stupid man

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

How many Admirals resigned disagreeing about those changes?

Much like @FSTO I have devoted much time in research on topic. With a keen interest in the Naval aspect.

Not once have I read or seen language mentioned, as a reason for protest from the RCN.

Watchdog says lack of domestic production hamstringing military​

National Post - 10 Jun 2023 - Bryan Passifiume
img
PARLVUParliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux appeared before the house national defence committee on Friday.

Canada’s continued reliance on foreign military procurement, as well as an inefficient doubling- up of purchasing authority, is hamstringing Canada’s ability to meet defence targets, says Parliament’s budget watchdog.

Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux appeared before the house national defence committee Friday morning to provide insight on recent reports on Canada’s defence policy — including his office’s October 2022 report on life cycle costs of Canada’s Canadian Surface Combatants ( CSC) shipbuilding initiative, their June 2022 analysis of Canada’s attempts to meet NATO’S two per cent defence spending benchmark, and its March 2022 examination of planned capital spending under Canada’s Strong, Secure, Engaged (SSE) defence policy.

Regarding the latter report, Giroux said he determined the government was underspending with respect to what was outlined in current defence policy, to the tune of $ 8 billion over four years. “The government, at that point when we released that report, had revised its capital expenditures to make up for that shortfall,” he told the committee.

PBO analyst Christopher Penney told the committee that 2022- 23 saw capital spending shortfalls of $ 1.5 billion compared to what was outlined in Strong, Secure, Engaged — with shortfalls this fiscal year of around $4 billion.

“There was over $ 10 billion planned spending under SSE for 2023/24, and only $6 billion was asked for in the estimates,” Penney said.

Responding to questions from Liberal committee member Darren Fisher on how best to streamline military procurement, Giroux said Canada’s smaller-than-average homegrown defence production base is having a negative impact — particularly when paired with policies favouring procurement from local vendors.
“Right there we’re at a disadvantage, especially if we insist on having Canadian- made major equipment — and the government, for obvious reasons, often insists on domestic production,” Giroux said. “That severely limits the competitive base on which the government can tap.”

Giroux said there’s definite value in having a domestic defence production capacity — but warned against policies that make Canada overly reliant on local production when more cost- efficient options exist overseas. “It’s difficult to meet all of the constraints if you also add domestic production,” he said.

The only way to square that circle, he said, is to make commitments to source domestically with benchmarks to allow for foreign procurement if the numbers don’t make financial sense.

“But then that would be in breach of domestic production capacity policy, and that would leave Canada exposed to foreign suppliers in case of a war outbreak that would require significant ramp- up of production,” he said.

Juggling competition with speed, expediency and financial prudence, Giroux said, requires a “delicate balancing act” between cost and value for money, “while also ensuring, as had been the government’s policy for some time now, to develop a domestic defence capability,” he said. “It’s one thing to procure major equipment from abroad, but in the case of war, it doesn’t guarantee us that we’ll be first to be served — we’d probably be at the back of the queue.”

Streamlining procurement, Giroux said, could be achieved by single points of both contact and accountability. “Right now there’s at least two departments involved — defence and PSPC ( Public Service and Procurement Canada,)” he said. “That would be one way to simplify things, having one person and one organization ultimately accountable for military procurement.”

Last June, National Post reported that Canada slipped further away from NATO’S two per cent funding commitment, putting this country’s defence spending at 1.27 per cent of GDP in 2022 — down from 1.36 per cent the previous year.

In addition to the usual expenditures of an active and functioning military, Giroux said Canada’s defence spending calculations to meet that benchmark include additional items — some Giroux said he found both surprising and unsurprising.

In line with reforms introduced by NATO in 2018, those additional items include military, civilian and veterans’ pensions, certain expenditures by the RCMP, spending by Canada’s coast guard, and limited transfer payments to NATO and other international organizations — in all adding around $ 5 billion to Canada’s defence spending.

Conservative Cheryl Gallant, who asked Giroux about these additional items, noted “The word is that two per cent will become the minimum as opposed to the aspirational two per cent that Canada has taken it to be.”

Streamlining procurement, Giroux said, could be achieved by single points of both contact and accountability. “Right now there’s at least two departments involved — defence and PSPC ( Public Service and Procurement Canada,)” he said. “That would be one way to simplify things, having one person and one organization ultimately accountable for military procurement.”
Happy Judy Reyes GIF by ClawsTNT

Giroux said there’s definite value in having a domestic defence production capacity — but warned against policies that make Canada overly reliant on local production when more cost- efficient options exist overseas. “It’s difficult to meet all of the constraints if you also add domestic production,” he said.

The only way to square that circle, he said, is to make commitments to source domestically with benchmarks to allow for foreign procurement if the numbers don’t make financial sense.

“But then that would be in breach of domestic production capacity policy, and that would leave Canada exposed to foreign suppliers in case of a war outbreak that would require significant ramp- up of production,” he said.
So, is it just me or do those statements seem contradictory? We should encourage domestic sourcing, but if it's cheaper to go elsewhere, we should do that. When has domestic sourcing not been more expensive than purchasing from allied nations?

When has domestic sourcing not been more expensive than purchasing from allied nations?
The fact that we sell small arms, optics, armoured vehicles, and simulation systems to NATO allies suggests that we must have competitive industries in these areas.

Happy Judy Reyes GIF by ClawsTNT

So, is it just me or do those statements seem contradictory? We should encourage domestic sourcing, but if it's cheaper to go elsewhere, we should do that. When has domestic sourcing not been more expensive than purchasing from allied nations?

That's a problem for Canadian companies who want to provide materials for for Canada's defence. Be competitive or die. We need to go where quality and price intersect.

There is some merit to local production. For example I have no issue with shipbuilding done in Canada. I would change how we do it though from 12 in a few years then scuttling capability for 25 to making one (or ideally 2) every year. If your not going to continuously maintain/improve the capability then you might as well not bother.

There is some merit to local production. For example I have no issue with shipbuilding done in Canada. I would change how we do it though from 12 in a few years then scuttling capability for 25 to making one (or ideally 2) every year. If your not going to continuously maintain/improve the capability then you might as well not bother.
I think we are often penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to local production.

If what we need is made in Canada, it's a quick and easy no brainer. Buy the product, keep the lines running, sell what we don't need.

If something isn't made here, buy it elsewhere. Don't build a project to engineer something that we will have to wait an additional five years for Bombardier or Colt Canada or Peerless Garments to develop the production lines on. One in hand is worth two in the bush.

If it's MOTS/COTS in another country, put in the order and be done with it. National Defence needs to stop being seen as an economic stimulus package both by those in government and those in industry.

I think we are often penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to local production.

If what we need is made in Canada, it's a quick and easy no brainer. Buy the product, keep the lines running, sell what we don't need.

If something isn't made here, buy it elsewhere. Don't build a project to engineer something that we will have to wait an additional five years for Bombardier or Colt Canada or Peerless Garments to develop the production lines on. One in hand is worth two in the bush.

If it's MOTS/COTS in another country, put in the order and be done with it. National Defence needs to stop being seen as an economic stimulus package both by those in government and those in industry.
However there can be strategic value in local production of certain items. At the moment we barely buy enough equipment for peacetime, let alone what we actually need for war time. Look at the amount of equipment being chewed up in Ukraine as a simple example of the importance of maintaining some capabilities. Our current equipment strategy seems to be beg the USA for their cast offs if we actually get into a war.

Once a war hits we might not be able to acquire the equipment we need from that foreign supplier. Afghanistan showed us the only reason we acquired certain critical kit was because our allies were willing to sell it to us or allow us to skip the queue. If they hadn't we would have had some serious problems. Ammo production is a excellent example of something that should be locally sourced, or at least a large portion of it locally sourced, as if everyone else needs ammo and you aren't making it yourself good luck being supplied with it.

I am not saying buy local for the sake of buying local, but sometimes there is strategic value in keeping some capabilities domestic.

I agree and disagree...

Remember masks in 2020? Canada had no production. We had to stand up production to ensure we could get masks when everyone else wanted masks...

We should have basic arms production in Canada, even if NLAW/Javelin/Spike costs more per unit to make here. It puts us at the front of the line, rather than the current state of "we'll get to you when we get to you".

Back