• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CC-177 Para Drop - PPCLI Para Coy, 25 Nov 12

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Parachute Company Group conducted parachute training on 25 November 2012. Approximately 125 personnel using both static line and Military Free fall parachute jumped from the CC-117 Globemaster onto Drop Zone Buxton, the focus of the training was CC-117 Jump Master drills. This was also the first time a mass parachute drop has been conducted using the CC-117.

Youtube Video

DZ Buxton, fond memory of thundering in there as a young Tpr.  ;D

Very Cool! Nothing like watching a mass jump.

The C-17 is getting involved in all sorts of military jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpI9v7ycP4&list=UUmI170j5bNgK47ajtLPkQZQ&index=12&feature=plcp

me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next
me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next
me next me next me next me next me next menext me next me next me next me next me next me next
me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next me next!

However, to equal the LCF demnstrated by the US Airborne and the C-141, they now need to start selling t-shirts that say "I've been sucked by a C-117"  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
The 5 points of contact are:  balls of feet, left *** check, helmet, spine and....

That sounds about right for most of the B Para students during the landing classes...  just throw in a PI saying you're all f*cked up to add insult to injury  :D

Eye In The Sky said:
The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Parachute Company Group conducted parachute training on 25 November 2012. Approximately 125 personnel using both static line and Military Free fall parachute jumped from the CC-117 Globemaster onto Drop Zone Buxton, the focus of the training was CC-117 Jump Master drills. This was also the first time a mass parachute drop has been conducted using the CC-117.

Youtube Video

DZ Buxton, fond memory of thundering in there as a young Tpr.  ;D
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lfwapao/sets/72157632112938075/with/8223819099/

Rheostatic said:
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lfwapao/sets/72157632112938075/with/8223819099/
Despite what LFWAPAO call it, for the rest of the CF it's a CC-177
("CC-117" three times in one paragraph is not a typo)

NFLD Sapper said:
RCAF website uses both too....
Thank you. I wasn't suggesting that PAO's unfamiliarity with CF nomenclature was limited to LFWA.

Edit to add:It is nice for everyone to realize that parachute insertion is one of those skills that the Army and Air Force let rust while we were all focused on the ATO.

Nice to see the RCAF finally using the CC-117 as the airborne delivery platform the US Army has been for a couple decades now. Even though the it was a "Hollywood" (to use the Americanism) jump.

Someday the Army may put together enough jumpers to fill a CC-117 for a true mass jump:

A full company, full equipment night, utilizing stick commander drills.

Show me that video.

Rider Pride said:
Edit to add:It is nice for everyone to realize that parachute insertion is one of those skills that the Army and Air Force let rust while we were all focused on the ATO.

Nice to see the RCAF finally using the CC-117 as the airborne delivery platform the US Army has been for a couple decades now. Even though the it was a "Hollywood" (to use the Americanism) jump.

Someday the Army may put together enough jumpers to fill a CC-117 for a true mass jump:

A full company, full equipment night, utilizing stick commander drills.

Show me that video.

FYI it was a full company plus attachments, stick commander drills... and a night time drop changes nothing other than your DZ drills on the ground.

Your comment made me laugh as it shows how far out of the loop you really are with respect to Parachute Company Group activities. (At least in the west)

Cheers.

yukon said:
FYI it was a full company plus attachments, stick commander drills... and a night time drop changes nothing other than your DZ drills on the ground.

Your comment made me laugh as it shows how far out of the loop you really are with respect to Parachute Company Group activities. (At least in the west)
Your mocking of the comment by Rider Pride isn't warranted.

I saw the same bare-ass jump, wandering around the DZ, standing while bundling chutes...is that Para Coy SOP?  If not, you've completely justified his comment.

If you believe that night ops bring no additional changes beyond mere DZ drills, you've obviously never had to deal with ground and air fire support, coordination of boundaries and other control measures, adjusting CSS support..... In effect, your comment shows how far out of the loop you are with respect to parachute ops -- but it didn't make me laugh.

Not mocking his comments just stating the facts... Para coy group has done numerous fully tactical jumps over the last few years however his comments would lead others to think otherwise... Regardless of the type of delivery method used its just another method of insertion to the fight.  The necessary coordination will always have to be done IOT set the conditions for success.

A bare *** jump is just that, anybody can fall from the sky however aircrew and jm capabilities do need to be tested for future reference under more trying circumstances.

Cheers.

For my own PME, I'd be interested to know what a (Western) Para Coy Gp composition is? What makes it a Gp?  (vice 120 guys jumping out of a plane)

No offense intended, but it looked pretty administrative...more like practice for manifesting and LM/JM duties than a demonstration of a para coy gp "in action."

Regards
G2G

Eye In The Sky said:
the focus of the training was CC-117 Jump Master drills. This was also the first time a mass parachute drop has been conducted

Exactly, focus was as stated in original article.

Cheers.

Good2Golf said:
For my own PME, I'd be interested to know what a (Western) Para Coy Gp composition is? What makes it a Gp?  (vice 120 guys jumping out of a plane)

I'm curious too. I'd take a stab at saying that a 'company' would be the normally composed infantry jump company, whereas when they say 'company group' it denotes that substantial additional assets have been attached; I know there's a jump section within 1 CER, for instance. I would assume there are similar additional 'plug and play' jump qualified assets within other 1 CMBG units outside of the infantry.

Back