• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

Journeyman said:
I'm somewhat in the know. Some jumpers are better at CREW (ie - CREW: Canopy Relative Work) than others.

During the selection camp, the various 'air show' routines will be sorted out. If you happen to have a knack for freefalling individually with a smoke on your ankle...that's your load-station; if you're OK locking legs and spiralling with another jumper (CREW) that's likely where you end up

Seen.

CReW looks like it'd be great to learn. But unfortunately for me, I don't think there's many people around here who do it, let alone instruct any of it.

CREW = Combat Related Employment for Women (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdnmilitary/women-cdnmilitary.html).

Damned re-use of acronyms...

Just a question for anyone that has completed or has been nominated for the Basic Para course.

I know the standard for the Pre Para course PT test is
: 7 Chinups
: 33 situps
:and a 1.6km run in 7 min.

But how competitive would my numbers be:

~ 15-25 Chinups
~ 50 situps or more
~and the run in about 6.5min for the 1.6km.

I just worried that those numbers wont be good enough. Any other insight would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Derek said:
Just a question for anyone that has completed or has been nominated for the Basic Para course.

But how competitive would my numbers be:

~ 15-25 Chinups
~ 50 situps or more
~and the run in about 6.5min for the 1.6km.

I just worried that those numbers wont be good enough. Any other insight would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
Good enough for what?  When you do the test at the start they cut you off at after the bare mins unless it has changed in the last few years.  If your asking for keeping up on pt, then your fine.  People usually fail out on things you can't physically prepare for so stop worrying.

From those I've spoken with, you will need to be better than the minimum standard. Ask yourself if you're fit enough for 2 PT sessions a day (morning and after work), running everywhere between classes, and also doing 7 chinups everytime you enter or exit the building. If the answer is yes, then you're good to go.

Thanks for the reply,

I should be fine,

Booya!

rom those I've spoken with, you will need to be better than the minimum standard. Ask yourself if you're fit enough for 2 PT sessions a day (morning and after work), running everywhere between classes, and also doing 7 chinups everytime you enter or exit the building. If the answer is yes, then you're good to go.

Not sure where you got those numbers, but the Para PT Test minimums are

•Chin-ups (7)
•Sit-ups (31)
•1 mile / 1600 meters run (7: 30 minutes or less)

If U read above -Skeletor- you are right and I am right as well. I telling what I am currently at for the PT test and I am exceeding the mins. But I wanted to know how competitive my numbers were. Thanks.

Derek said:
If U read above -Skeletor- you are right and I am right as well. I telling what I am currently at for the PT test and I am exceeding the mins. But I wanted to know how competitive my numbers were. Thanks.

Just train smart and don't get injured, or try to carry an injury on the course.  :pushup

Derek said:

Not to be a dick, but you were wrong here

I was just clarifying what the standards for the PT test are.

As for being competitive, yea your scores look good.  Once you are at CFLAWC it doesn't matter what your scores are(not a competition), as long as you pass. It only matters when you are doing the test at your unit.  Usually a unit will get X amount of spots and XX amount of troops wanting that spot.  So those who score higher on the PT test will generally tend to be the ones the unit sends on the course. 

If things are the same as in '93 you better be capable of  doing 12 clean chin ups and doing the mile in 6:30.  :) You only need to do 25 push ups; the last one will take about 75 attempts.

A strong core is good for when you have to adopt the 5th point of flight procedure as a corrective action.  They like to flip you between the push-up position and the 5th point (basically a V-sit with arms up in line with your upper body, toes pointed and chin on chest).  Good luck!!  :)

Did my Pre para fitness test last Friday, These were my results:

15 Chinups,
73 Situps
and the 1.6 km run in 6min 11 secs.

Not too bad.

Congrats, good luck on your course if you get loaded.

Indeed, low winds, blue skies and warm, cuddly para instructors. Fat chance on the last.

I can't remember my push ups and chin ups (after all it was in 1968,) but I ran the only mile that was ever timed. I did it in 4:47.

Jeez Old Sweat, that's a quick mile! I don't think I could have done that even if someone was shooting at me.  ;D

Bump.
I'm looking to get on a B-para in the winter (ya, I know, it will only be soft fluffy snow I land in I'm sure).  I've heard rumours that the CF has switched from using the CT1 parachute that drops at about 24fps to something else as the standard static line chute that drops at about 17fps.  Anyone know about this at all?

There is new chutes, not very many, they generally go to the instructors or big guys. I don't know the exact fall rate, mine is a lot slower then everybody else as I'm (160Lb) but its still way too quick for my liking.
Feet and knees together and you'll be ok

They are looking into a new chute system to be delivered sometime 2014. I've heard a rumour from someone who recently completed BPara that they are just having everyone jump with square canopy right off the bat, to try to prevent injuries while on course and giving everyone that qual as well. Is there someone here from CFLAWC that can verify whether that is true or not?

I thought having 15 regular jumps was a pre req for doing square canopy?

Back