• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

Yeah, I guess you could say those PT test standards are low.. but, considering during my PT test at the Canadian Airborne Center (9603) in Edmonton, I watched some candidates get through 4 or 5 chinups, and then the PI (parachute instructor) deciding to start over at 1..
so, you better be dammed sure you can do much more than the "low" standard.

Cheers,

Yeah, you would hope so haha.  Would suck to have to start over again for no reason though :-\

Rad said:
Would suck to have to start [chin-ups] over again for no reason though :-\ 
It's not for "no reason" - - it's because the exercises were not done to standard.

While you may think they're perfect, from the PI perspective, it's quite easy to see a) the bouncing, lack of clear pause at the top and bottom to show the complete motion, or b) the fact that the candidate does not go all the way up or all the way down

......so, do 'em right or do 'em over; it's always your choice

Hey all, I was just wondering if any one knows the chances of an engineer, getting on a basic para course, and if there are still any airborne troops kicking around? Thanks.

Chimo :cdn:

this may be off topic,
I know it is a pain to get loaded on a basic para thru the Reg Force aside from putting in a memo, and waiting.... lots of waitig,
When I got accepted for mine, my unit (2 Svc Bn)  wouldn't even raise my travel claim till I performed the PT test in front of a bunch of PERI's (yeah yeah I am an old guy, my course was is Edmonton too...:)
I had the benefit of being a supply tech and goaded the powers that be into an interest  of becoming a Rigger which they always seem to be short on...
so maybe that helped my case a little,
Funny thing though, there is always one or two guys that fail the pt test the Monday of week 1...
and I've seen guys from the then Trenton area, just slide on in on a course,
once again, pending thier units' approval and fin codes and cost centre...

I know it may seem ridiculous, but when I was talking to a Navy PO1 and AS about Naval Officers wearing jump wings I said: "That must not happen to often" and they said "you'd be surprised many take the jump course at RMC, anybody in all three elements can sign up for it at almost any time during their career."

Maybe I totally missed the boat on this one, but i was 100% sure that while you are in the Navy you had no chance of getting on the jump course.  And RMC? I am aware that they do rappelmasters, and I said that, but the PO said "No, they can do their jump course".

So I have searched the forums and used my own common sense and if it wasn't for these two I would have never asked this question. Can anyone confirm, deny, or shed some light on the topic?

The basic para course is open to anyone in the CF, but positions are assigned on a priority basis to units with designated jump positions and then the CMBGs (who divide them between their units) and then other places.  Often, courses are not fully loaded and I am aware of a few people who have gotten onto a course simply because they were close enough to show-up at the last minute to complete the PT test on an underloaded course (my basic para course had an Air CIC officer of all the obscure things you could think of to take the course).  RMC, being only an hour down the road, is probably in a good position to get those last min calls looking with the opportunity for someone to fill a vacant position.

And you better have a good reason to sell to your boss on why you need a jump course because most ships will not cough up TD money for something that will not benefit the unit itself. Most sailors I know that have their jump wings are all ex ground pounder types who saw the light and switched over to the dark side.

A friend of mine did the jump course in Edmonton back in the mid-90's while posted to an NRD so it is definitely a doable thing. That being said, it really isn't a very good use of crown dollars to train someone to do something they will not need to do in their chosen career.

Thank you everyone, maybe (if I keep my fingers and toes crossed), I might get a shot and some wings after all.

tumbling_dice said:
Thank you everyone, maybe (if I keep my fingers and toes crossed), I might get a shot and some wings after all.

By your profile thought I would wait til you get your BMQ and QL3 overwith first before worrying on whether or not you can take courses you really don't need...

Ex-Dragoon said:
By your profile thought I would wait til you get your BMQ and QL3 overwith first before worrying on whether or not you can take courses you really don't need...

That seems to be a common thread.  Too many new applicants are worried about how they will get the best career courses when they should concentrate on getting accepted first.  One step at a time!

If jumping is what you want to do, why dont you join the army ? Your chances of getting the course are better and your chances of doing it for work after are much improved.

Sorry if I was misunderstood, I am currently in the famous waiting period during the recruiting process and am just looking at all my potential career paths. I know that right now I can't even be sure that I have a career but I'd hate to 55 (or what ever retirement age is in effect if that comes) and think "too bad I didn't know that".  Thanks again for all the replies.

You could always go jump on civilian street (if you want to know what it's like to fall out of a plane), or do you just want the wings on your chest? 

Remember you can always change career paths once you are in the CF, many people do this.

If I don't get the chance to jump in my career I will do it civy side but I know that it this can't compare to doing a military jump course. And no, although they very nice, I do not just want wings on my chest.

Hi,

Im just looking for a little insight into the Basic Para course, mainly just broadly what the first/second/third weeks consist of, what the PT is like both in content and difficulty, and anything else advise wise someone who has completed/taught the course can tell me.

I ask because by the grace of God I've been nominated to be on one come February, and I kinda hate running fulltilt into something with a blindfold on.

Thanks and happy New Years!  :salute:

- YoungQYR

P.S I know there are many other threads talking about the course but for the most part their started by people just getting into the Forces who are convinced that their going to be the next (if I may steal someone elses line) SuperParaNinjaSniper, and don't really ask any questions I feel are important.

I don't have a course message cut yet, but i'm on the JM thats running along side it at the same time-

PT's not hard.. it's to keep you loose in the AM before work and after a long day in the racks. I may vary from course staff to staff though, as usual.

Week one and two are all ground school, practicing putting on your kit properly, rigging it and whatnot. How to land so you don't hurt yourself and all the drills associated with it and some Mock Tower stuff. The course hasn't change much since the dawn of time and they still use all the old trg aids-which i thought was a real blast from the past.

I'd buy a pair of good shoes-if you don't already have them, good insoles for your cbt boots, a roll of medical tape for your pinkys on flight room training, Compression shorts or cyclist shorts instead of underwear on flight training aswell. Lastly, a party pack of ibuprofen and you should be set man. It's not hard if you show up fit and in the right mindset-like every other course in the army, right?

Any more questions you can PM me bro

Bear

Back