• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

It says we can do a braid down the center of your back or 2 braids down your shoulders, can they be french braids?

Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar (see below.) Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly: secured at the end by a knot or a small unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be worn in the centre of the back. Double braids shall be worn behind the shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length when gathered behind the head and braided which does not extend below the top of the armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be directed toward the back of the head, pulled tight to the head and secured at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned fastener. Multiple braids extending below the lower edge of the collar are to be gathered in a bun. With the permission of a Commanding Officer, a reasonable period may be authorized in order to transition from short to long hairstyles, during which time hair may extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a positive military appearance, and subject to the member’s safety.

Be aware, I am a dude and have no clue what a french braid is.

Melanie Jane said:
It says we can do a braid down the center of your back or 2 braids down your shoulders, can they be french braids?

AFAIK, yes.  You can also gather it in a ponytail and then braid it (recent change to the dress regs that many women were doing anyway).

Generally, if you have your hair put together neatly without doing something super radical (like a braid that runs around your head) you will likely be okay.

Strike said:
Generally, if you have your hair put together neatly without doing something super radical (like a braid that runs around your head) you will likely be okay.

But the former Ukrainian PM (Tymoshenko) totally worked the wraparound braid.  :blotto:

I know, I know....back into my lane...

I have searched through many responses in regards to the question I have. I leave for BMQ in a week and was wondering what I am allowed to do with my hair. My hair is short, cant even put in a ponytail, Its at about my chin.  Am I allowed to clip the front part back with bobby pins? I also was wondering if I could do something similar to a cornrow, just minus the braid.

For example, picture 1 is what my hair looks like
Picture 2 is what I was thinking of doing, just a lot tighter to my head.

ModlrMike said:
Picture 1 - yes

Picture 2 - no

Can I ask what is the difference between putting my hair back, out of my face, with bobby pins and using elastics?

Picture 2 is not with bobby pins.  Plus, it may be considered an "exaggerated" style.

I think I know what you mean, it's probably hard to find a picture to depict it.

PMedMoe said:
Picture 2 is not with bobby pins.  Plus, it may be considered an "exaggerated" style.

I think I know what you mean, it's probably hard to find a picture to depict it.

Haha yes it was hard to find a picture, but basically just using bobby pins to pin my hair back, but because my hair is so short Id probably have to use a lot. Ive already tried it with wearing my husbands beret and it wasn't noticeable. I know basic training is different though.

Time in basic is your enemy more than anything, if you can't pull it off in under 2 minutes, it's too complicated.  From a guy perspective, at least.

Kat Stevens said:
Time in basic is your enemy more than anything, if you can't pull it off in under 2 minutes, it's too complicated.  From a guy perspective, at least.

This.

Kat Stevens said:

Good advice!!

Which brings us back to picture 1. A couple of pins to hold your bangs in place and you're ready to go.

Kat Stevens said:

And from a gal's.  I had very short hair in basic.  It does grow back, you know.  ;)

Rocksalt said:
My solution to the long hair is to just get it cut! Hair will grow back. :)

Wow.  Insightful first post.....  ::)

So.. I'm a girl and I've got a small section on the right side of my head shaved and the rest of my hair is pretty long. Is that considered as a crazy hairstyle or is it acceptable? Has anyone seen it /done it before? Or am I going to be forced to cut my hair off.. I'd be okay with it but I love my long hair. :-(  The rest of my hair pulls back pretty nicely into a bun though.

burkus2 said:
So.. I'm a girl and I've got a small section on the right side of my head shaved and the rest of my hair is pretty long. Is that considered as a crazy hairstyle or is it acceptable?

AFAIK, that would not be acceptable. How short is it, and how much is shaved off(eg the entire side)?  Also, did you do this before or after being sworn in?

From the Dress Pam
Hair on the head shall be neatly groomed
and conservatively styled. The length, bulk or style
of hair shall not detract from a positive military
appearance or preclude the proper wear of military
headdress. (Bulk is the distance that the mass of
hair extends from the skin, when groomed, as
opposed to the length of hair.) In particular, style
and colour shall not present a bizarre, exaggerated,
or unusual appearance.

Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be
styled conservatively and tied tightly:
secured at the end by a knot or a small
unadorned fastener. A second small
unadorned fastener may be used to secure
the top of the braid. A single braid shall be
worn in the centre of the back. Double
braids shall be worn behind the shoulders.
Hair shall be a maximum length when
gathered behind the head and braided
which does not extend below the top of the
armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be
directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the
end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener. A second small unadorned
fastener may be used to secure the top of
the braid. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun. With the permission of a
Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition
from short to long hairstyles, during which
time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining
a positive military appearance, and subject
to the member’s safety.

burkus2 said:
Has anyone seen it /done it before?

I haven't seen any females in the Military do that.

burkus2 said:
Or am I going to be forced to cut my hair off..

Looking at your posts, you have recently joined a Reserve Signals unit. What have they told you? Or have they not seen your hair yet?

burkus2 said:
I'd be okay with it but I love my long hair. :-( 

Perhaps you shouldn't have shaved part of your hair off than.

burkus2 said:
The rest of my hair pulls back pretty nicely into a bun though.

Neat, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you had a portion of your hair shaved off.

Back