• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I might as well say it before the 'usual suspect'.

This thread is useless without pics.

Let's hope none exist, hahaha!  It's pretty ridiculous, I'm sure.  ;D

I’m new to the Army and I have searched the internet for how I could possibly wear my hair (because the whole bun + thin hair looks ridiculous and my family would kill me if I cut my hair off. (Though after all this bs and regs, it’s VERY tempting.) This forum has been the most informative. (Sadly, most of the links didn’t work, and I would, at this point, KILL for the PDF with photos that has been mentioned.)

I think, my best bet, since my hair in thin and curly (= HELL TO DEAL WITH!) I’m opting for cornrows (le sigh!) for BMQ, which I will be attending in a few months.

I’m going to have to learn to French Braid my own hair and I’m going to go for the 2 French braids deal. (Youtube, you better teach me good!)

Anyway,  I wanted to thank you all of the info! :)

A very old and very wise man once said to me "Loosing your vanity is the greatest thing you can ever do"

Fally said:
I’m going to have to learn to French Braid my own hair and I’m going to go for the 2 French braids deal. (Youtube, you better teach me good!)

I bet you'll have another female (or male) member on the course that can help you out with the French braids. You'll learn that BMQ is quickly about teamwork, and people will be willing to help you if you're there to help the team. Don't sweat it, and good luck on your course.

Current (The most current published) Dress Regulations are available here for this week.  DND has a tendency to change URLs on a very frequent basis though.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/downloads-telechargements/reserve/dress-tenue/CF_dress_instructions_mod2008_0514.pdf

Look around page 50-70 for hair.

Fally said:
I’m new to the Army and I have searched the internet for how I could possibly wear my hair (because the whole bun + thin hair looks ridiculous and my family would kill me if I cut my hair off. (Though after all this bs and regs, it’s VERY tempting.) This forum has been the most informative. (Sadly, most of the links didn’t work, and I would, at this point, KILL for the PDF with photos that has been mentioned.)

I think, my best bet, since my hair in thin and curly (= HELL TO DEAL WITH!) I’m opting for cornrows (le sigh!) for BMQ, which I will be attending in a few months.

Anyway,  I wanted to thank you all of the info! :)

Someone like me ... is going to have a field day with you.

Word up.

If my long, curly, frizzy and red (IE: Real hell) hair can go up, so can yours. As for ridiculous --- it won't be me (or someone like me) looking ridiculous. As for "BS and regs", I'd highly suggest you get over that right quick --- or you're not going to do very well at making this a career path.

Corn rows and french braids are fine ... until your hair reaches the length where it is even with your armpits, then it's up into that bun or cut it the hell off. Oh, and in dress uniform - it's always in a bun. Don't like those rules? Then cut it. Your family don't like? Grow up -- and perhaps let them know that the law, at least, considers you an adult already. Simple as that.

;)

Good luck with your BMQ; your attitude here tells me that you will need it.

ArmyVern said:
Someone like me ... is going to have a field day with you.

Word up.

If my long, curly, frizzy and red (IE: Real hell) hair can go up, so can yours. As for ridiculous --- it won't be me (or someone like me) looking ridiculous. As for "BS and regs", I'd highly suggest you get over that right quick --- or you're not going to do very well at making this a career path.

Corn rows and french braids are fine ... until your hair reaches the length where it is even with your armpits, then it's up into that bun or cut it the hell off. Oh, and in dress uniform - it's always in a bun. Don't like those rules? Then cut it. Your family don't like? Grow up -- and perhaps let them know that the law, at least, considers you an adult already. Simple as that.

;)

Good luck with your BMQ; your attitude here tells me that you will need it.

Thank you.

I suppose one can't read sarcasm and humour on the internet. That was my attempt here.

Again, thank you for the information on this topic.

ekpiper said:
Current (The most current published) Dress Regulations are available here for this week.  DND has a tendency to change URLs on a very frequent basis though.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/downloads-telechargements/reserve/dress-tenue/CF_dress_instructions_mod2008_0514.pdf

Look around page 50-70 for hair.

This is great! Thank you! :)

PuckChaser said:
I bet you'll have another female (or male) member on the course that can help you out with the French braids. You'll learn that BMQ is quickly about teamwork, and people will be willing to help you if you're there to help the team. Don't sweat it, and good luck on your course.

You know, I never even thought of that. Although, I work well in a team environment, I'm very independent, so it didn't even come to mind.
Thank you :)

I planned on doing the cornrows for basic because it would keep my hair out of the way and one less thing to worry about. I mentioned this to a Bdr in my holding platoon and she told me that I couldn't because I wasn't "African Canadian". Can anyone tell me if this is true, can they put a limitation on that because I'm Caucasian?

From CFP 265  Chapter 2 Section 2

5. The following additional details apply to
specific groups to accord with religious and spiritual
practices
and public perceptions of a disciplined
force:

b. Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar (see below.) Exaggerated styles,
including those with excessive fullness or
extreme height, are not authorized. Braids,
if worn, shall be styled conservatively and
tied tightly: secured at the end by a knot or
a small unadorned fastener. A single braid
shall be worn in the centre of the back.
Double braids shall be worn behind the
shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length
when gathered behind the head and
braided which does not extend below the
top of the armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows)
shall be directed toward the back of the
head, pulled tight to the head and secured
at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener.
Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun. With the permission of a
Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition
from short to long hairstyles, during which
time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a
positive military appearance, and subject to
the member’s safety.

My interpretation is, unless you belong to a specific group where it is practiced, then, no you can not have cornrows.

I am so friggin' sick of this hyphenated citizenship\ race crap.

'Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be
directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the
end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun'

I've seen plenty of Caucasian women in the CF with cornrows.

para b in the post above talks about women's hair in general and has nothing to do with religious and spiritual practices

211RadOp said:
From CFP 265  Chapter 2 Section 2

My interpretation is, unless you belong to a specific group where it is practiced, then, no you can not have cornrows.

I see your point RadOp.  However, if you look at the subtitle of the paragraph that you have quoted, the special group indicated by this is "women".  Just as "a. Men" and "c. aborginial members"

I would agree that it is vague as it does not clearly state that you must be of African decent to wear you hair in that fashion.  It was so much easier when, if it was below the collar it had to be in a bun.  Personally, I have never seen a caucasian woman wearing cornrows.

Again, it is my interpretation and everyone will have thier own.  If the RSM has another, I would certainly not argue with it  :nod:

Fally said:
I planned on doing the cornrows for basic because it would keep my hair out of the way and one less thing to worry about. I mentioned this to a Bdr in my holding platoon and she told me that I couldn't because I wasn't "African Canadian". Can anyone tell me if this is true, can they put a limitation on that because I'm Caucasian?

I agree with the interpretation of others that the "specific group" mentioned in para 5 is women.

Even if cornrows were limited to a certain group (apart from women in general) it would be based on the group's religious or spiritual practice, not simply a matter of race.  I'd suggest that the Bdr is wrong.  How far you want to push it, however, is up to you.

Thanks for the info everyone. I suppose if it was a huge issue I would just have to take them out. However, I am not sure I want to start my BMQ on the bad side of anyone. Second option, cutting all my long hair off, having to deal with it at BMQ is not worth the hassle. (French braids are also pain in the ass haha!) None the less, I will get it figured out. (I start my BMQ in Edmonton, June 27th.)

Fally, if you choose to keep your long hair, you will find that the bun is a super easy super quick way to put your hair up.  Just make sure you have hairnets to keep all of the loose pieces in.

Practice before you start BMQ, great way to get used to what you can do and how much time you need.  Good luck!

airmich said:
Fally, if you choose to keep your long hair, you will find that the bun is a super easy super quick way to put your hair up.  Just make sure you have hairnets to keep all of the loose pieces in.

Practice before you start BMQ, great way to get used to what you can do and how much time you need.  Good luck!

Yes, the bun is easy and quick but my hair is layered and curly/wavy... it is all over the place. I already get razzed about it being all over the place despite my efforts. French braids get messy within hours! :(

Back