• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

I am currently living in Cold Lake, the bar scene has dropped off here in recent years but with Maple Flag coming I am sure there will be people opening up new bars in old locations. I am told that the officers mess is not too bad, but you will find alot of people (officers and NCMs) start on Firdays at the pub on base (called: North 54).  If you are very serious about your night life, go to Edmonton.  Lloydminster does get some good bands in and it is alot closer but you will not get the 'big city' feel as it is an oil and farming comunity.  As mentioned above, there are some people carting around some things you would not want to pick up (HIV, STD) but that pretty much goes for anywhere these days.  Cold Lake does not have a higher rate than anywhere else.  Golf, the course on base is really good, the one off base is not too bad either. As for R&Q, I hear that the mess is not to bad for food (it is an all ranks dinning area).  For the cost of quarters, check the 4 Wing DIN site, they may be listed, or give accommodations a call.  Good luck, bring a car!!

Last time I was there was 1981. If you are going ATC Cold Lake is great for lots of aircraft activity.  Should be very useful for someone soon to go to Cornwall.

Maple Flag is a great experience, you will be exposed to a tremendous variety of military aircraft that can't be duplicated easily.

I can't comment on off work aspects as I was on course every time I was there, ie. no car.

I found a great base spirit simply because there were not many off base options.

I did get a little exposure to the "Western" mindset, reminds me a little of Texas. Pickup trucks as the family car, huntin', fishin'.

Good Luck, make it what you want it to be.  :)

Baden  Guy said:
I did get a little exposure to the "Western" mindset, reminds me a little of Texas. Pickup trucks as the family car, huntin', fishin'.
Whatdayamean??  Reminds you of Texas?  We are Canadas Texas!  The only things missing are the openly worn handguns. (mostly)

I've spent a lot of time up in Cold Lake for short periods of TD (from a couple days to a few months at a stretch).. These were between '99 and '04, so what I remember may be different now.

Nightlife was decent, although the bars tended to go up and down in popularity. You just need to find the one (or ones) that are hot at the time you're there. Car is very important, because, as was mentioned, it is not cheap to take cabs all the time to and from downtown. If you make some friends though you'll be sure to find some people to split the fare with. It also gives you a chance to check out stuff in and around the town (I brought my mountain bike and had some fun, but listen for the quads and the occasional bear). The golf club was nice enough, but I'm no connoisseur. Junior ranks was also pretty nice, right by the transient quarters. Good place to go play a game of pool or darts.

Mess food was really good, and they had (this may have changed) a nice a la carte menu. Most of the guys I knew were Pte/Cpl types with single rooms, typical military base fare. The transient quarters (Maple Flag Inn) are fantastic though, with your own phone line (base local, need a phone card for LD or you can call other bases for an outside line), tv with cable, bar fridge, and maid service. You have a sink in the room, and share a toilet and shower/bath (depending on the room) with the room next to you. Unless Maple Flag was on it was rare to actually have someone in the room next door though.

The bars are Legends (lots of young girls and pretty gross to go to, toilets backing up), Camels Toe(lots of young girls usually not to busy), Stars the famous Gay Lesbian bar( i think it got shut down), In Bonneyville you have the Zoolander or wetlander. It is pretty good Thursday nights. 
There are numerous pubs/ drinking establishments. Wednesday nights is wing night at the Marina View, decent wings. Club 41 Fridays is Keroke.  Like I said there are alot of pubs/ drinking places.

As for the STD situation., If you must go into town, go talk to the Pre Med tech first. Yes Syphillis was a major issue last year in Cold Lake as was HIV. Dont listen to me, go find out.

As stated if you have a Vehicle bring it.

Lots of great fishing/hunting and such.

I am sorry if my view is jaded about Cold Lake, but if you have a family it is a wonderfull place to be. If you are single and there for more then Maple Flag it sucks. Plain and simple.    Simple and to the point.
For those who wonder how my views are or question me, I spent 18 months there. Living the amazing life. There is a reason why young people are leaving Cold Lake.

I hope that you have a good time there.

Interesting. I myself am doing a CT/OT for pilot within the Air Force, with the ultimate goal of Cold Lake in mind (as it currently stands). If any others have any info or experiences (both good or bad) about Cold Lake, please continue to add... I am also quite interested about life both off and on that specific base.

It's just like anywhere, it's only as good as you make it. If you go in there thinking it's going to be misery, it'll probably be misery.

Cold Lake is what you will make of it. I was there from 95-03. Just as long as you have a good click of Freinds to hang with, and your open to new experiences you will be laughing.
Rugby, baseball, hockey, fishing , hunting, going to the show, weekend trips to Edmonton or Calgary, a days drive from Banff or Jasper. Your off time will be filled with lots of things to do.
Work is steady which is good. There is always something going on.
Women....There are lots NO THEY ARE NOT ALL HIV/VD CARRIERS. Just play safe and follow your ROE's when picking up a stange piece of tail.

So go check it out for yourself.  Make your own decision.

Ok here is my 2 cents on the "Cool Pool" ,my memories are a little faded I was posted there from 1990 to 1994.It was a great place,lots of outdoor activities and a pretty scenic place,cept for out in the muskeg which was pretty bleak,nothing but muck and jackpines. The Base itself was pretty well run back then,I worked at PLER so I didnt really hang about on the main base. I do remember Club 41 could get rocking pretty good sometimes,not sure what the Officers mess was like but Aircrew are known to have a good time :)

I am sure things have changed alot now,more stores in town and stuff like that.
Give Cold Lake a chance its a nice spot in my opinion with lots of wildlife to see,Bears,Moose and Deer.

Have fun

Mark

Is anybody here from Cold Lake?
Or been here recently, after it is not a  remote posting anymore?
Any information would be highly appreciated, especially from Met Techs, because  I am a MetTech by trade.

Hey I am going to be finishing up my QL3's In Shearwater around June 20th and I am curious as to how the PMQ's in Cold Lake look in comparision to the Borden PMQ's. Just curious as to what they look like.

Thanks

Same as they are in Borden. Probelly more expensive. I not in any more but I hear they rasied the rates there again.

Hi all,
Anyone aware what a 4 bedroom PMQ goes for in Cold Lake nowadays?  We've been looking on CFHA's website but nothing about the prices there.

Thanks!

I'm being sent to CFB cold lake for OJT starting Oct. 14th - Jan 5th,

I haven't been given any particulars as to what unit I'll be helping out or anything like that.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue what the shacks were like for privates there? Like how many to a room, internet/cable access, etc.

Thanks

Buying new snow tires in the next couple of days, and getting posted to Cold Lake shortly.  Could anyone recommend whether studded tires are needed there, or if regular snow tires would be fine?

Thanks

AGC

agc said:
Buying new snow tires in the next couple of days, and getting posted to Cold Lake shortly.  Could anyone recommend whether studded tires are needed there, or if regular snow tires would be fine?

Thanks

AGC

I was going to say studded tires are illegal, but, after a little research I find they are legal in Alberta (and most other provinces).

So, do you need studded tires? I would say no. I was in Cold Lake for five years in the '80's and I got by using all-season tires, even when I was out out hunting in the boondocks, never had any problems.  Mind you, I had a Ford Bronco II 4X4. 

However, these days the conventional wisdom says that during winter months, you use winter tires, and that's what I would suggest.

Studded tires are legal in Alberta, but plenty of municipalities have by-laws that prohibit their use.

Back