• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

You get a choice now?

Avoid 1AMS at all costs, trust me from experience. 410 is a training unit that doesn’t deploy while 401/409 does. Depends what you’re looking for.
Thanks for the info! Any differences between 409 and 401?

You get a choice now?

Avoid 1AMS at all costs, trust me from experience. 410 is a training unit that doesn’t deploy while 401/409 does. Depends what you’re looking for.

Not really, they are essentially sister squadrons. Rumour is 409 is the better place to be now, but that’s off second-hand rumours and it changes in a yearly basis. I did both squadrons and both have highs and lows depending on what’s going on and who’s in charge. Just don’t go to 1AMS.

Not really, they are essentially sister squadrons. Rumour is 409 is the better place to be now, but that’s off second-hand rumours and it changes in a yearly basis. I did both squadrons and both have highs and lows depending on what’s going on and who’s in charge. Just don’t go to 1AMS.
appreciate the insight!

I am in the process of re-enlisting as a acs tech, and i have the option of 1ams, 410, 409, or 401. was hoping i could get some insight to help me make a decision on which unit to choose as an Acs tech.

Cheers
First, I would be skeptical of anyone telling you that you have a choice of units if you're still not in. Unless you're talking to the Cold Lake ETO/DETO or ACS trade advisor, you're not speaking with the people who make those decisions. Where you end up on the wing is the ETO's discretion, the CM just sends you to Cold Lake.

Second, 401 vs 409 if you want to get tours, 410 if you just want to deploy. The AMS shouldn't be on anyone's choice list.

First, I would be skeptical of anyone telling you that you have a choice of units if you're still not in. Unless you're talking to the Cold Lake ETO/DETO or ACS trade advisor, you're not speaking with the people who make those decisions. Where you end up on the wing is the ETO's discretion, the CM just sends you to Cold Lake.

Second, 401 vs 409 if you want to get tours, 410 if you just want to deploy. The AMS shouldn't be on anyone's choice list.
Not 100% accurate. Local staff may attach post people between units, but the CM is the one who posts people to specific positions.

Every in-trade position is managed by the MC, and I believe upon rejoining the CM is the one that designates the position number/position. Local staff may do an AP if it makes sense, but I believe rejoining offers are based on position number, not just "location".

Not 100% accurate. Local staff may attach post people between units, but the CM is the one who posts people to specific positions.

Every in-trade position is managed by the MC, and I believe upon rejoining the CM is the one that designates the position number/position. Local staff may do an AP if it makes sense, but I believe rejoining offers are based on position number, not just "location".
I think it is pretty accurate as the CM's posting message is usually based on feedback from the regional reps. CMs can't possibly know every nuance for members and the region (except for small trades) so they rely on the regional folks to essentially create the plot that the CM reviews and then enacts with actual posting messages.

I think it is pretty accurate as the CM's posting message is usually based on feedback from the regional reps. CMs can't possibly know every nuance for members and the region (except for small trades) so they rely on the regional folks to essentially create the plot that the CM reviews and then enacts with actual posting messages.
For a normal posting I'd agee, but the local rep isn't the one that will be speaking with a member rejoining. It's the recruiting centre, and a CM that handle a member getting back in as far as I'm aware. My contact in the CM world just left the job a week ago, but based on our last discussion that's the jist of it.

Even beyond all of that though, each posting is to a specific position number, so the CM is the final authority on where a member is posted, and then the local chain uses AP to "make it work" as required.

For a normal posting I'd agee, but the local rep isn't the one that will be speaking with a member rejoining. It's the recruiting centre, and a CM that handle a member getting back in as far as I'm aware. My contact in the CM world just left the job a week ago, but based on our last discussion that's the jist of it.

Even beyond all of that though, each posting is to a specific position number, so the CM is the final authority on where a member is posted, and then the local chain uses AP to "make it work" as required.
It is an interconnected chain between a local rep and the CM, I suspect none of them are making this a blind dart board throw. Re-joining may have some additional nuances but parachuting someone in without talking to a local rep would just be silly, it is at its core just a posting from outside the area at the end of the day. The only difference is the local rep (either at gaining/losing area) is just not part of the mbr CM loop in this case. It is a CM to recruiter as you point out with the local rep giving feedback on spots to fill to the CM which are passed on to mbr through recruiting center.

At the end of the day it could totally be the CM just looking at their open posns in an area for that rank and pulling the trigger but my experience has been that isn't the case.

Just curious about this statement, 401 vs 409. Is it a NORAD / domestic role vs NATO / expeditionary role difference?

I thought that Hornet techs were now managed at the CAG level rather than CM level?

I thought that Hornet techs were now managed at the CAG level rather than CM level?
Maybe, I'm not 100% familiar with all trades, but the general rule is the CM cuts the message and posts the member.

Unless the RCAF has come up with a policy that bypasses DGMC, I'm pretty sure they function under the same general system the rest of the CAF does. At the pointy end it may seem the local authority makes the decisions, but in practice, the local authority still has to go through the career shop to make things happen.

Maybe, I'm not 100% familiar with all trades, but the general rule is the CM cuts the message and posts the member.

Unless the RCAF has come up with a policy that bypasses DGMC, I'm pretty sure they function under the same general system the rest of the CAF does. At the pointy end it may seem the local authority makes the decisions, but in practice, the local authority still has to go through the career shop to make things happen.
Of course, but I am pretty sure the who goes where is decided at the CAG level and the CMs just cut the messages.

Sorry, Army guy here so just asking for clarification on that last bit.

You mention 401 & 409 if one wants to get tour, and 410 if they just want to deploy. What is the difference between a tour and a deployment in RCAF parlance? (When I deployed to Kandahar, we considered it a tour.)

Also, a few people mentioned to avoid 1AMS, or that AMS shouldn’t be on the list. Why is that? (Genuinely no idea)

Sorry, Army guy here so just asking for clarification on that last bit.

You mention 401 & 409 if one wants to get tour, and 410 if they just want to deploy. What is the difference between a tour and a deployment in RCAF parlance? (When I deployed to Kandahar, we considered it a tour.)

Also, a few people mentioned to avoid 1AMS, or that AMS shouldn’t be on the list. Why is that? (Genuinely no idea)

I believe he meant by deploy as in TD (Temporary Deployments) when in actuality they are exercises in the US. 401/409 deploys in your normal overseas sense like eastern europe. In my mind, Deploy=tax free pay and medal parades. TD=endless flying in Miramar or Key West.

1AMS is a shops unit where you don't see the light of day. I think the entirety of the place should be phased over to civilian contractors and the military personnel be put back into front-line ramp units. Quite often the 4xx sqn undesirables get sent to 1AMS, then you have an entire organisation full of people with medical, personal or professional issues. It's the dumping ground (not all people) of the wing.

You may believe so, but you'd be naive to the Cold Lake-isms that take place once you're destined for that base. There are 6 units (AETE not included) in which an ACS tech can be posted to; 401, 409, 410, 417, 1 AMS and 10 FTTS...they're all under the purview of Cold Lake's own ETO. That base is as incestuous as it gets.

In my time there, I've seen at least 2 dozen mbrs arrive with a posting message that says one thing, and a location to report to on day 1 that doesn't match. The CM may ultimately have to cut a message, but I'll be damned if I haven't seen who wears the pants in the relationship.

Back