• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

You have wired Internet in the Maple Flag Inn.  Bring a router (or a Mac laptop) and you are golden.

Ah beautiful Cold Lake.  I was posted there from 83-90, when I was a cook...one of my best postings, even after I re-mustered.  Met my wife in Edmonton and both my kids were born in CL.

Eagle Eye View said:
What the heck you're doing in Cold Lake? There's no such thing as AES Op in Cold Lake!

There is for a few weeks!  Ex.

One of our FO's got tasked with the LRP LNO...in Wainwright.  :rofl:  I'll enjoy the view of Tower Hill and the Banana Feature better with a bit of flight feeding and a big cup'a coffee! From FL XXX.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
There is for a few weeks!  Ex.

One of our FO's got tasked with the LRP LNO...in Wainwright.  :rofl:  I'll enjoy the view of Tower Hill and the Banana Feature better with a bit of flight feeding and a big cup'a coffee! From FL XXX.  ;D

I did a similar job to that in 2011.  It's not all bad...at least the Air staff at the time had 16-man barracks and not in tents.  >:D

Dimsum said:
I did a similar job to that in 2011.  It's not all bad...at least the Air staff at the time had 16-man barracks and not in tents.  >:D

Ah, he thinks he will be in the Trg Area...I won't tell him any different.  He's been to Wain-wrong before and knows what its all about.  ha!

Hello!

At the end of June I will be posted to Cold Lake assuming the semi isolated screening goes through smoothly. I was wondering what the shacks are like and what internet service providers are available to install into the shacks?

mariomike said:
For reference, perhaps Borden to Cold Lake Accomodations will be merged with CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged. 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/3933.425
18 pages.

I took a look through it and it mostly talked about PMQ and increased prices. I just wanted to know what the barracks are like and what internet provider people use in the barracks.

messupdude said:
I took a look through it and it mostly talked about PMQ and increased prices. I just wanted to know what the barracks are like and what internet provider people use in the barracks.

I work with a guy in the shacks. He says it's not bad at all for a very cheap price. You get your own room with I believe a shared bathroom and cable is included. Internet is with eastlink I think and it's pretty fast but extra. If you don't want the shacks there are plenty of places to rent in town.

Quirky said:
I work with a guy in the shacks. He says it's not bad at all for a very cheap price. You get your own room with I believe a shared bathroom and cable is included. Internet is with eastlink I think and it's pretty fast but extra. If you don't want the shacks there are plenty of places to rent in town.
Any chance you know if it's air conditioned?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Pusser said:
You do realize that Cold Lake is a CANADIAN Forces Base don't you?

I'm going to guess you've never been to CL?  You'll want AC in the shacks. 

And if you want to blend in, driving a big honkin' white truck with $3000 worth of tires on it seems to do the trick.  ^-^

Eye In The Sky said:

And if you want to blend in, driving a big honkin' white truck with $3000 worth of tires on it seems to do the trick.  ^-^
LOL I'm just wondering whether to buy an AC on the way there or not. I'm from Vancouver and the eastern section of this country is killing me inside and out. I heard there were new shacks and wasn't sure if they came with ac already built in. I already bought a Mazda 3 here in Barrie and was considering buying chains.

messupdude said:
LOL I'm just wondering whether to buy an AC on the way there or not. I'm from Vancouver and the eastern section of this country is killing me inside and out. I heard there were new shacks and wasn't sure if they came with ac already built in. I already bought a Mazda 3 here in Barrie and was considering buying chains.

I was stationed in Cool Pool in the mid-late '80's and never needed chains; heck never even had snow tires, but, in hindsight, I would recommend a good set of snow tires. Also, make sure your car has a block heater installed or make sure you it get one installed upon arrival.

messupdude said:

I'd recommend going to the 4 Wing Accommodations DIN site, and contacting them, unless someone on here is currently living-in in CL.  There are enough stores in CL you should be able to buy one local when you get here;  I'd guess if you did want one and the room didn't have one, Accn would have to approve it anyways.

Eye In The Sky said:

I think you missed my point.  I wasn't commenting on whether or not it was needed, but rather on the fact that the Canadian Forces would never pay for air conditioning.  We would never think of putting people in a public building without heat, but we frequently put them in buildings without air conditioning (or at least adequate air conditioning).  Heck, we'll even force people to work in buildings with the heat on full blast, even though it's 25 degrees outside (because it's mid-April and we don't turn off the heat until end April - calendars are poor instruments for telling temperature...).

Greetings,

I have been digging through and reading a lot about accommodations in Cold Lake (a lot of it might be dated information).  If a newly minted AC Op was posted to cold lake right out of BMQ.  What type of single quarters are currently available. The 4 wing Cold Lake website I have found is less then informative.

Also have things improved since all the studies done in 2013 by the Ombudsmen or is cost of living and finding reasonable housing still a major concern with members serving there.

What recommendations would you have to a 19 year old moving into the Cold Lake area.  Career wise it seems an excellent choice for an OJT and first posting but having read so much bad publicity on the need to take a second job and the fact the PMQ's are in a horrible state and still are some of the most expensive at any air force base, it makes one have a deep second thought. 

If anyone has a good link even from the DIN that would provide some good answers that would be greatly appreciated.

If you are posted right out of BMQ to Cold Lake then you will be put into Building 45.  Which is double rooms (some people are not sharing) but you could always get a roommate at anytime depending on how busy the barracks are.  Bathrooms are a located on each floor and are common.  There are also common rooms on each floor and cable is also provided currently. 

PMQ prices have gone down, but overall I would recommend the barracks to save money if you are ok with the common living situation.

123zxy said:
If you are posted right out of BMQ to Cold Lake then you will be put into Building 45.  Which is double rooms (some people are not sharing) but you could always get a roommate at anytime depending on how busy the barracks are.  Bathrooms are a located on each floor and are common.  There are also common rooms on each floor and cable is also provided currently. 

PMQ prices have gone down, but overall I would recommend the barracks to save money if you are ok with the common living situation.
Some slight corrections. Pvt/Cpl will be put into building 45 or top floor of building 44 (all ranks). MCpl and above will be in Maple Flag In. Officers will be in building 42 I think?

Back