• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

Another article I read indicated that the press asked questions about meeting the minimum 30 minute flight time on a dry gearbox as well.

Eye In The Sky said:
Any chance one might be seen on TGEX?  We will be there to play...
[/quote

TGEX this year?  No, the OT&E crrws aren't ready for thst yet. 

Next week will be busy with the start of OT&E flying and hosting TRINATS though...

As for the other questions (gearbox, engine power), they're not in my lanes; if they are an issue it's an Ottawa issue as far as I can tell.

Perdonally, I think its been a great week.  The yardsticks were advanced on three things I've been working on for a long time early in the week; and at the end of the week the Wing was given the keys to six aircraft

CBC didn't show footage because they have a camera crew on-site for this particular dog n' pony show. There are some new stills though.  CTV had a full crew.

cupper said:
Another article I read indicated that the press asked questions about meeting the minimum 30 minute flight time on a dry gearbox as well.

The "30 minute run dry" requirement was dropped due a change in the MGB design and that, disregarding the crash of Cougar 191 off St John NL, the odds of that scenario occurring are extremely remote. The crash of Cougar 191 was caused by a failure of the titanium mounting studs for the MGB oil filter assembly.  See the attached link below.
http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2009/a09a0016/a09a0016.asp

Canada's new helicopters wil be a Lockheed Martin product.  Lockheed is buying Sikorsky for $9B (US).

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/20/lockheed-martin-strikes-9m-deal-to-buy-helicopter-maker-sikorsky-black-hawk

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/article-template-standard.page?doc=chocks-away/icdjny1q

Notice how long it took from the flight to the release by the PAO and this is on a major PR item

Chocks away!

News Article / July 21, 2015

By Second Lieutenant Dawn O’Connor

Five aircrew from 12 Wing Shearwater’s Helicopter Operational Test and Evaluation Facility (HOTEF) made history on June 22, 2015, when they took the newly accepted CH-148 Cyclone maritime helicopter on its first flight as an air asset of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).

The six Cyclones, accepted by Defence Minister Jason Kenney on June 19, 2015, are based at 12 Wing Shearwater, Nova Scotia, and will be used for training and testing with the RCAF. In their final configuration, the CH-148s will be capable of a full range of anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare, search and rescue missions, and utility taskings in various environments, and will be among the most capable maritime helicopters in the world

“I think it’s fair to say we’re pretty excited,” Major Travis Chapman, HOTEF commanding officer and tactical coordinator for the first Cyclone mission, said before the flight. “We are ready for the task at hand and are looking forward to commencing the operational test and evaluation (OT&E) program in the coming weeks.”

The HOTEF pilots and crew flew aircraft tail number 820 on this milestone flight. It was a proficiency mission, aimed at refreshing aircrew and pilots who had completed the Cyclone initial cadre training program training this spring.

The testing and evaluation facility provides timely and effective operational testing and evaluation, leads tactical development, and executes acceptance test flight duties on behalf of the maritime helicopter community. HOTEF’s world-class operational test and evaluation team will lead the maritime helicopter community into the future through the safe and effective introduction of the Cyclone weapon system.

“There was a lot of anticipation for this flight and it took a lot of hard work at all rank and trade qualification levels to make it happen,” said Major Kirk Baltussen, flight commander and pilot for the first flight, and deputy commanding officer, HOTEF. “Because of the success of the hard work and preparation, we were able to quickly shift our focus to the task of building our proficiency as a crew. We conducted a variety of training from specific piloting skills to using the mission systems and executing utility training.”

“Needless to say,” he added, “it was very exciting to be a part of the first all-RCAF crew to fly the CH-148 Cyclone.”

OT&E on the Cyclone Block 1 will run until early 2017. It encompasses a wide range of maritime helicopter missions, including flight operations from land and sea. These operations can take place day and night (with night vision goggles, as required) in utility evolutions, search and rescue, anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare disciplines.

“We have invested a great deal of time, energy and resources into the Cyclone, and although it will continue to evolve in the coming years, it is important to start the operational testing now,” Major Chapman said. “I have every confidence the Cyclone will mature into the world-class maritime helicopter Canada deserves.”

Just throwing a stupid question here for all those people out there who want the Navy to get rid of the VICTORIA class boats: How would you train and maintain the proficiency of the Cyclone's crew in ASW then, Eh?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Just throwing a stupid question here for all those people out there who want the Navy to get rid of the VICTORIA class boats: How would you train and maintain the proficiency of the Cyclone's crew in ASW then, Eh?

[semi-smartass response]

Contract the Chilean or Spanish Navies for their SSKs?

[/semi-smartass response]

Well we could also rent this

Foudre-01.jpg

Oldgateboatdriver said:

We could do ASW training in the Baltic, the Black Sea, north of Norway.

Sure to be a training target rich environment. Maybe we could even figure out what it was that was sneaking around in Swedish & Finnish waters last year and earlier this year.

And wouldn't create any issues that I can foresee.

cupper said:
We could do ASW training in the Baltic, the Black Sea, north of Norway.

Sure to be a training target rich environment. Maybe we could even figure out what it was that was sneaking around in Swedish & Finnish waters last year and earlier this year.

And wouldn't create any issues that I can foresee.

I'm sure the Aurora crowd would love to get in that as well out of Andoya, but imagine the amount of $ for TD and ships/aircraft tied up for that.  Last time visited Norway, I remember it wasn't exactly cheap.

Colin P said:
Notice how long it took from the flight to the release by the PAO and this is on a major PR item

It was in the Trident 13 Jul, on the front page. http://thechronicleherald.ca/tridentnews/flippingbook/trident-july-13-2015

Seems to me there's no real story here, and the press knows it.  We accepted the airplane, like we said we would.  We are getting on with making it work, like we said we would.  As we get the crews and the aircraft meshing, it will become what it needs to be, like we said we would.

I thought it was cool 'cause I was in a Sea King doing work facing 820 as it taxied.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Main plan is to use the sims... hopefully we'll get some boat drivers at some point over.

Something we're working through is how to do proper Joint training that way.  That's why there is work going on right down to bring all the Maritime assets (RCN and RCAF) together on the Ex Net.  Hopefully in the near future we can bring back the Wed wars.  I'd love to see the Frigates plugged in along side with the Ops Room and bridge manned.  We also need White Cells, Red Cells, Green Cells, Blue Cells...

... and of course culminate it all with TG level exercises at sea; but at that point you should be focusing on Joint C2, not individual skills.

My  :2c:

Baz said:
Main plan is to use the sims... hopefully we'll get some boat drivers at some point.

The boat drivers will have to be educated on the system capabilities (ASW tracking).  I have no idea how the cyclone will employ passive tracking but the new system is an amazing piece of kit.  I seriously think submariners are oblivious to what the new system brings.  It is a game changer.  The old "you found us because we wanted you to find us are gone". 

I'll almost BET that the Cyclone crews are going to be fairly "closed-mouth" about the capabilities of the new passive systems. No point in giving away the entire store before we get a chance to explore it fully.

What do you think there Baz?

Going back to the short-ish discussion about training with subs, I am wondering if there are some Project 636 or Project 877 boats available to play with.  "They be SNEAKY buggers."
:salute:

CycloneMech said:
I'll almost BET that the Cyclone crews are going to be fairly "closed-mouth" about the capabilities of the new passive systems. No point in giving away the entire store before we get a chance to explore it fully.

I would expect nothing less, this is a new realm for the MH crews.  The LRP crews have had their mitts on the new system for a while now, hopefully the experience gained will be shared, so we can get on with it. 

CycloneMech said:

We don't talk about certain things to most people, including most in our own community.  This was true on HELTAS, mostly true on the 'A's, and more true on Cyclone.  And its not just capabilities, and its not just passive.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I would expect nothing less, this is a new realm for the MH crews.  The LRP crews have had their mitts on the new system for a while now, hopefully the experience gained will be shared, so we can get on with it.

Hopefully we can figure out what should be the same, what should be different, and get on with it...

Back