• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

apostle

Inactive
Reaction score
I read on a recent thread, sorry that I can't remember which forum it was posted on, that the Government plans to replace the Griffons with the new Chinooks.  While I applaud the decision to purchase the Chinooks (long overdue), I have a concern.  If this is true, would 17 Chinooks be able to meet all of the army's rotary lift needs.  My thinking is that if the Griffon is to be phased out, then it would make more sense to either buy more Chinooks or order new light to medium utility helicopters (such as the CH148 Cyclone) to supplement the Chinook fleet.  I would like some feedback from those would have more knowledge than myself on this, could 17 Chinooks meet all of the army's rotary airlift needs without putting too much strain on those airframes? :cdn:

apostle said:
I read on a recent thread, sorry that I can't remember which forum it was posted on, that the Government plans to replace the Griffons with the new Chinooks.  While I applaud the decision to purchase the Chinooks (long overdue), I have a concern.  If this is true, would 17 Chinooks be able to meet all of the army's rotary lift needs.  My thinking is that if the Griffon is to be phased out, then it would make more sense to either buy more Chinooks or order new light to medium utility helicopters (such as the CH148 Cyclone) to supplement the Chinook fleet.  I would like some feedback from those would have more knowledge than myself on this, could 17 Chinooks meet all of the army's rotary airlift needs without putting too much strain on those airframes? :cdn:

The Chinook is not replacing the CH-146.......

Apostle, the CH147A (I guessing on the designator, based on the original) will complement vice compete with the CH146 Griffon.  They have their own strengths.  I can tell you personally, the Griffon rocks for what is (honestly) asked of it -- it puts a smile on my face every time I fly it.

G2G

p.s.  CA...maybe having 4-5 navigators all around you is kind of rubbing off?  :p

I don't know why but I am pretty sure that G2Golf like that when people make that mistake  ;D

Ran across this photo of seating for 55 troops. Although I dont think they would be able to bring a ruck. :)

55_Seats.jpg

8651455.CH47Interior.jpg

But when you just have to pack em in, just take out the seats. ;D

afghanistan_operation_mountain_lion.jpg

Ran across photos of the PPCLI in Afghanistan - the early days. :)

towr_ghar_a.jpg

tora_bora_a.jpg

dna_a.jpg

B_Co_PPCLIBG_3_a.jpg

very nice....and someday that will be a Cdn helicopter they are disembarking from!! ;D :cdn:

I believe the "world record" for the number of pax on a single Chinook is (was?) held by RAF.  They carried 84 pax on a single lift during the Falklands War.

The Canadian record is held by a joint 447/450 crew who flew Chinook 009 during RV85.  68 pax on a single lift, 2 platoons of the CAR, plus their RSM.   According to my logbook the pilot was Capt Tessier of 447 and the Co-Pilot was Capt Jim Baldaro of 450 Sqn.  Can't remember who the FE was, and I was the LM.  

Great days !!!!  :cdn:

IN HOC SIGNO said:
very nice....and someday that will be a Cdn helicopter they are disembarking from!! ;D :cdn:

Well, to be truthful, some of the ones used by Canadians there over the last few years have BEEN Canadian birds in a previous lifetime.  ;)

midget-boyd91 said:
Well, to be truthful, some of the ones used by Canadians there over the last few years have BEEN Canadian birds in a previous lifetime.  ;)

We just gave them to the Dutch to fly...right?  ;D

IN HOC SIGNO said:
We just gave them to the Dutch to fly...right?  ;D

Just being polite  ;D. We knew that if we ever needed to use them and they said no, we could just tell Diemaco to halt shipments of weapons to the Dutch.  ^-^

Back