• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chosing a reserve unit

RudyTwoShoes

Inactive
Reaction score
I found an old post claiming that within cities such as Vancouver there is one infantry unit that likes to get their hands dirty and one that doesn't.

I'm strongly considering joining the infantry, and am most concerned about joining a unit that is "switched on", very active, and serious about their training, has the numbers etc.  I would go to another trade if that meant finding such a unit.

Any suggestions for finding this out for myself?  I saw an old post that referenced "soldier for a day", is it possible to attend parade night at the reserves to observe the different units in operation?

I cant say for sure, but my advice would be to try it.
Give their respective recruiters a call and ask them directly if they wouldn't mind taking you on for a parade night.  If they don't allow that, then just set up a meeting with the recruiters to talk to them and use your judgement to get a feel about which you think you'd fit in with more.
I'd be willing to bet that you would be fine with either unit. They are trained militia and will work hard to stay trained.

p.s. If you are unsure of how to contact the recruiter call the unit itself and ask to speak with a recruiter and they will put you through. Every unit has its own recruiter.

A single parade night isn't much of an indication. Many parade night are preparation for specific tasks on field exercises, or might be theory lectures.

Find a couple contenders, find some people from both and ask.

Either way, in most cases a reserve regiment is what you make of it. Any unit can have a lot of opportunities switched on, and sometimes if you're simply in the right place at the right time.

Are you in Vancouver, or was that just a random example?

Back