• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Police Officers Joining Reserves

Smity199 said:
I think it would be cool if Police Officers were MP's in the reserves, but in case of a crisis or natural disaster which would he or she have to oblige to?

Smity, I know Paramedics who are in the reserves, and love it. But, for some, the last job they want is Med Tech. They want the Armour Corps and Infantry and trucking or cooking because it's different from what they do full time. I suspect many Police Officers would feel the same way.

yeah good point, It would probably be alot more enjoyable to do something different from your day job on the weekends.. One of my brother friends retired from the Regs when he was like 35 or something and he became a police officer and has now just applied to get into the reserves

Smity199 said:
I think it would be cool if Police Officers were MP's in the reserves, but in case of a crisis or natural disaster which would he or she have to oblige to?

I was actually told by one of the reserve LogOs that we have here, who is also with the O.P.P. that there is some regulation that prevents someone from being a police officer on two separate forces simultaneously. I am unsure if it is a Federal, or Provincial policy, or merely either CF or O.P.P. policy.

The answer was in response to my question as to why she remustered Logistics rather than MPO.

gcclarke said:
I was actually told by one of the reserve LogOs that we have here, who is also with the O.P.P. that there is some regulation that prevents someone from being a police officer on two separate forces simultaneously. I am unsure if it is a Federal, or Provincial policy, or merely either CF or O.P.P. policy.

It's called "Two-Hatting". ie: Full-time emergency services members working part-time ( or as paid "volunteers" ) for other municipalities:
http://www.firefightingincanada.com/content/view/1331/213/
I have never heard of a problem regarding working your trade in the CF as a reservist. 

mariomike, I believe, and I stand to be corrected by any of the LEO's here, that the difference among the cops is that they could easily find themselves conflicted if they were to serve as police officers in another organization/role. I further believe that the "two hatter" debate as you've quoted in your article represents firefighters alone as I have never before heard of the medics or the cops being rung up for this sort of thing. As well, the two hatter thing as it relates to firefighters is much a union thing, not a force stating that it's not on for I have never heard of that but am more than willing to hear it if someone has some dirt

As far as fire goes it is a complex and heated subject as one can see just by skimming the quoted article. I have my opinions for both sides and can see where both sides are coming from having served as both a paid and volunteer firefighter and having done both at the same time (though not a "two hatter" by the OPFFA's definition as my job was not union)

I could dish a lengthy and prepared document summing up my thoughts on the two hatter debate but it would add nothing to the thread.

Scott said:
mariomike, I believe, and I stand to be corrected by any of the LEO's here, that the difference among the cops is that they could easily find themselves conflicted if they were to serve as police officers in another organization/role. I further believe that the "two hatter" debate as you've quoted in your article represents firefighters alone as I have never before heard of the medics or the cops being rung up for this sort of thing. As well, the two hatter thing as it relates to firefighters is much a union thing, not a force stating that it's not on for I have never heard of that but am more than willing to hear it if someone has some dirt

As far as fire goes it is a complex and heated subject as one can see just by skimming the quoted article. I have my opinions for both sides and can see where both sides are coming from having served as both a paid and volunteer firefighter and having done both at the same time (though not a "two hatter" by the OPFFA's definition as my job was not union)

I could dish a lengthy and prepared document summing up my thoughts on the two hatter debate but it would add nothing to the thread.

Hello Scott. How are you?
I think Metro Police has members serving as MP reservists. If you look at page 11 of this pdf:
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d43/20060616-d43_community_informer.pdf

Good on the force and their members then! Thanks for the link.

All is well here. Good rescue a couple of weeks ago that I was part of which makes things worth doing.

Scott said:
Good rescue a couple of weeks ago that I was part of which makes things worth doing.

I would like to read about that sometime, Scott. If you find the time. Goodness knows, I have plenty of that now.
I like to monitor TFD sometimes. To see if there's any worth checking out in my neighbourhood. Isn't that pathetic? hahaha:
http://www.toronto.ca/fire/cadinfo/livecad.htm

I worked on changing the CF QR&O's and RCMP Act so that RCMP members could serve in the PRes. Once the rules were ammended, the only trade that was prohibited was the MP trade either as an Officer or OR. There is a caveat in the RCMP Act that a member cannot serve as a sworn Peace Officer in another organization.

Now as I understand it, this is a moot point as all but AF PRes MP's are not badge carrying sworn Peace Officers. I guess it may come down to perception and the word "Police".

But as someone already pointed out, why would I want to do my day job again in the MO?

Noneck

I am sure it boils down to one thing and one thing only:  In an Emergency when the military is called out to Aid in the Civil Power, a Peace Officer can not be in two places at the same time, wearing two different uniforms.  (S)He either goes as a Police officer or a Reservist,  but not both.

I am sure, in the eyes of the municipality/province/nation, it is more important that (s)he perform his/her duties as a member of the police force, and be exempted CF duties, than the other way around.

We have had at our platoon (and other platoons currently have) municipal police officers amongst its ranks.

The job of a reserve MP is sufficiently different from typical policing that I doubt someone would get bored.

noneck said:
But as someone already pointed out, why would I want to do my day job again in the MO?

Financially, it makes little no sense to refuse overtime, Paid Duty and Stat Holiday shifts from your career department to work elsewhere in the same, or similar, job classification. 

I see im a little late to the initial post, however, im a member of the reseves in addition to being a full time police officer. it works for me, and i do what i can with my unit, but my priority is to my career as a police officer. My service, refered to above as 5 RCR, is very accomodating when it comes to current military members who are among its ranks. so much so, that we have an internal policy that allows members to take additional time off to serve with your unit (both weekend ex's, or deploying overseas). 

Tyrus you bring up a very good point re: Police Service CF leave policies. I would like to see a definitive leave policy for PRes CF Members in the RCMP developed.

Could those folks that are members of other PS send me a copy of their outfit's leave policies by PM? If this doesn't work give me a shout via PM and i'll give you my address on ROSS.

So far one of the best policies is that of the City of Calgary. They top up all of their city employees wages while they are on work up and deployed....pretty kick ***!

I have applied to a reserve infantry unit, and I am also considering applying to Toronto Police Services for my full-time career. Does anyone know if one may pursue both careers simultaneously? That is, does TPS allow time off for courses etc.?
Thank you

Bob Fisher said:
I have applied to a reserve infantry unit, and I am also considering applying to Toronto Police Services for my full-time career. Does anyone know if one may pursue both careers simultaneously? That is, does TPS allow time off for courses etc.?
Thank you

Yes you can do both.  At the same time, you may not be able to.  You are planning on joining both at the same time, and the demands on training time for both may conflict.  Perhaps you may want to become established as a Constable first and then try joining the Reserves.

There are many Toronto Police officers in the Reserves.

George Wallace said:
...  Perhaps you may want to become established as a Constable first and then try joining the Reserves.

Bob.  That's the best advice if you're going to do both.  I have several friends in the reserves who are also members of their local police forces (London, Ottawa, Toronto, RCMP) and AFAIK they have all had to take time off from one to complete training with the other.  It seems to work out quite well for all of them, but joining both at the same time would be asking for trouble.

:2c:

Bob Fisher said:
That is, does TPS allow time off for courses etc.?

Hello Bob. You may find this thread of interest:
[merged the two threads]
Good luck with "Metro's Finest"!  :salute:

Thanks for the advice, and that thread is indeed very helpful!
The only difference with me is that I already have my BMQ from a short stint in the reg force. Thus, I was told that I could get both my SQ and QL3 next summer once re-enrolled.
So in my case, perhaps I should do those courses, get my chevron, then try for TPS?

I am both a member of the the PRes and a RCMP member. In the PRes I am currently the Depot Pl WO at my unit and have two soldiers currently going through as police recruits and military recruits.....it's very hard to commit to both. They are both now on ED&T until they finish their RFT. It will also be hard for them as junior coppers to get prime leave off in the Summer to go away for 4-8 weeks on PRes training, without rocking the boat!

I am in no way saying put off your policing career for the MO,  but my advice is to get as much PRes training out of the way while you go through the process with TPS. If it takes 6 months to a year or so to get on with the police then that's time that you can devote to the MO. Your MO time will set you up with some great examples for your interview and will also enhance your application.

PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Back