• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clothing stores complaints

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Clothing stores only stocks two sizes: Too big, and too small.

Incorrect, DP.

All clothing stores have three sizes on hand: "Too big", "too small" and "Oops! We made a mistake: This one fits".

They don't let you keep anything in that last size, however.

"Too big", "too small" and "not in stock" are the three sizes.  :nod:

With apologies to my Sup Tech friends

daftandbarmy said:
In defence of the clothing stores folks at Esquimalt, I've always found them very helpful.

Me: "Hi I'm here to get a set of the new NCDs. I'm going on exchange with the USN for a month and my CO and Coxn directed that they wanted me in the new NCDs."
Civi at the front desk: "What? Who said what now? You're not entitled to the new NCDs! You can't have those!" <turns around> "Master Seaman, this guy's saying his Coxn wants him the new NCDs".
Master Seaman sitting at his desk: "Makes sense to me. Let 'em have 'em."
Civi at the front desk: <visibly irate>
Me: <smirking>

(this WAS in Esquimalt back in 2010 just to be clear)

Lumber said:
Me: "Hi I'm here to get a set of the new NCDs. I'm going on exchange with the USN for a month and my CO and Coxn directed that they wanted me in the new NCDs."
Civi at the front desk: "What? Who said what now? You're not entitled to the new NCDs! You can't have those!" <turns around> "Master Seaman, this guy's saying his Coxn wants him the new NCDs".
Master Seaman sitting at his desk: "Makes sense to me. Let 'em have 'em."
Civi at the front desk: <visibly irate>
Me: <smirking>

Where I'm at, that's considered "helpful".  Most places wouldn't have that MS applying "common sense" to the problem.

So are you getting the "new CADPAT but in black" ones?  They seem pretty sweet.

Unless there's a plan to replace all old NCDs with the new ones, then the civilian was correct.  As long as your current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement.

"But I want the jammy new ones" would be rejected if a five year old said it.

dapaterson said:

Yes, but a five year old would normally be cared for by a responsible adult not another five year old.

dapaterson said:
Unless there's a plan to replace all old NCDs with the new ones, then the civilian was correct.  As long as your current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement.

This was in 2010 as we were transitioning from the NCDs without tons of pockets to the NCDs WITH tons of pockets.

And as I said, i was going on a month-long exchange with the USN, so my CoC (CO and Coxn) wanted me to wear the newest version of the NCDs.

I get that "if you're current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement" bit, but does that trump PR considerations for an international exchange?

Lumber said:
This was in 2010 as we were transitioning from the NCDs without tons of pockets to the NCDs WITH tons of pockets.

And as I said, i was going on a month-long exchange with the USN, so my CoC (CO and Coxn) wanted me to wear the newest version of the NCDs.

I get that "if you're current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement" bit, but does that trump PR considerations for an international exchange?

Well, I would say no. And your CoC's opinions on the matter are especially irrelevant.

I don't think the "PR" considerations arguments holds any water. Like Anyone in the USN really gives a hoot about how many pockets your NCDs have. No one's going to notice, let alone care.

This to me seems like the Civilian was applying the policies that he was directed to apply, as laid out by his superiors, while the Master Seaman decided to just ignore what he was supposed to do because you had a "good enough" excuse. Meanwhile, I'm sure that most people here would be pissed as hell if their subordinates decided to just ignore the policies and orders that they have been directed to follow.

Internationally, Navies tend to "show the flag", rub shoulders and other PR functions wherever they are. With this in mind, I understand the CoC desire for Lumber being directed to be turned out in the newest kit. Agreed, normally the request would have been rejected.

dapaterson said:

Dapaterson is 100%. 

kratz said:
Internationally, Navies tend to "show the flag", rub shoulders and other PR functions wherever they are. With this in mind, I understand the CoC desire for Lumber being directed to be turned out in the newest kit. Agreed, normally the request would have been rejected.

I can understand the CO wanting that, but I would expect there to be a massive difference between some CO somewhere wanting something to happen, and that thing actually happening because it's been approved by an appropriate authority.

I don't see how an exchange is sufficient reason to justify deviation from the normal operating procedures and guidelines passed on down by said appropriate authority. But if it is indeed that important, the appropriate way of doing that is by the CO contacting their counterpart in BLog to request deviation from someone who actually has the authority to authorize such deviations from the policy.

Alright then...

What about NCD collars that have become frayed? You know, where it starts showing "white" at the peak of the collar?

If the NCD shrts are otherwise in good condition, would they be considered still "serviceable" and therefore ineligible for replacement?

Lumber said:
Alright then...

What about NCD collars that have become frayed? You know, where it starts showing "white" at the peak of the collar?

If the NCD shrts are otherwise in good condition, would they be considered still "serviceable" and therefore ineligible for replacement?

I don't know of any definition of "serviceable" for which said fraying would render it otherwise.

Lumber said:
Alright then...

If the uniforms are worn out they should be replaced via a 1 for 1 exchange. 

If they are simply mid life they should not be exchanged.

But as said above the appropriate way for this to have played out would have been for the two commands to chat and see if allowances can be made in your circumstances.

H

gcclarke said:
I don't know of any definition of "serviceable" for which said fraying would render it otherwise.

Do you know of any definition of “serviceable” for which said fraying would not render it otherwise?

SupersonicMax said:
Do you know of any definition of “serviceable” for which said fraying would not render it otherwise?

Fraying at the collar is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. The item is still perfectly good at doing what it's designed to do.

gcclarke said:
Fraying at the collar is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. The item is still perfectly good at doing what it's designed to do.

And to think that people used to purposely do that to show they had "time in".

http://www.ivy-style.com/the-old-money-look-princeton-boys-and-the-sandpapered-shirt-collar.html

I would love to see a Cdr/Capt(N)/Commodore on TV in NCDs with a frayed collar, and when asked why his uniform didn't look like it was in good, professional order, he responds with "Well, the supply team said that, other than frayed collars, all my shirts were still serviceable, and were therefore not eligible for replacement, so, here I am!"

Oh wait, that wouldn't never actually happen.

Back