• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Boots policy 2018-CANFORGEN 127/18

You could also ask for a military discount to bring the cost of the boots down to the allowance.

From my reading of it, $340 + applicable sales tax.... so if you're in a place like Ontario with 15% HST it's going to be $391... if you buy a pair of $347 boots ($399.05 after 15% HST) you're paying $8.05 while the CAF foots the other $391.

Ask for an all in price. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

ballz said:
From my reading of it, $340 + applicable sales tax.... so if you're in a place like Ontario with 15% HST it's going to be $391... if you buy a pair of $347 boots ($399.05 after 15% HST) you're paying $8.05 while the CAF foots the other $391.

And Conservative politicians will scream about how bad it is the troops have to pay $8.05 for boots under the Liberals  ;D

Jarnhamar said:
And Conservative politicians will scream about how bad it is the troops have to pay $8.05 for boots under the Liberals  ;D

I will happily pay $8.05 out of my own pocket for a good set of boots...

SeaKingTacco said:

At that price I'd buy you boots too  ;D

Its really an incredible move by the chain of command that's going to save soldiers money, save the overburdened  medical system time, save the overburdened clothing system time and save the military as a whole money (I think anyways).

I hope the approved list coming out has fairly wide arcs.

With so many items paid in full, we see it all too often where members of the CAF forget,
and assume an entitlement that does not exist.

Boots $391 + HST = member paying $51 for boots that fit and actually enable the member to do his job.

Don't bother complaining to me over $51.

SeaKingTacco said:

That scheme isn't for aircrew though  :whistle:

Dimsum said:
That scheme isn't for aircrew though  :whistle:
I can see how you'd need high-speed boots to walk from the taxi into your 4-star hotel room, after a gruelling day of sitting on your butt flying in circles for a few hours.    :nod:

:stirpot:

Jarnhamar said:

As awesome as this is, it's still bizarre and sad that we can't issue good boots to our troops, which is a tool about as basic and critical as any of the others we do our work with.

Journeyman said:
I can see how you'd need high-speed boots to walk from the taxi into your 4-star hotel room, after a gruelling day of sitting on your butt flying in circles for a few hours.    :nod:

:stirpot:

Actually, I would like a set of boots that won't:

A) cripple me from being on my feet on the steel deck of a ship 14-16 hours per day

B) send me straight to the bottom of the ocean, should I have the misfortune to ever have to do a water egress from a helicopter

SeaKingTacco said:
Actually, I would like a set of boots that won't:

A) cripple me from being on my feet on the steel deck of a ship 14-16 hours per day

B) send me straight to the bottom of the ocean, should I have the misfortune to ever have to do a water egress from a helicopter
Don’t forget freezing into hockey pucks to provide zero traction while simultaneously robbing your feet of any heat through the mandatory steel toe.

I don't know what you zoomies are complaining about, the RCAF solved all your kit issues with leather jackets and pearl grey ranks.

PuckChaser said:
I don't know what you zoomies are complaining about, the RCAF solved all your kit issues with leather jackets and pearl grey ranks.

Don't forget 1970s aviators!  All about LCF dude!

Call me jaded but...

People think the same organization that has spent what, 15+ years? trying to get a boot that will work via the procurement process is suddenly going to be able to magically come up with a magical pre-approved list with boots that work?  If they could do that, we'd already be wearing these magical boots.  Further to that, I'd be shocked in Logistik agreed to provide more than 2 or 3 different variants via their site so once Phase 3 kicks in, I suspect a lot of people are going to be back to paying for their own boots again.

If we are lucky, we are going to end up in a PLD situation; stuck in limbo in phase 1.

We'd be set if it was stuck in phase 1 forever. The only problem is dinosaur RSMs only approving black or all leather boots, severely limiting choice.

PuckChaser said:

Whoa now...don't forget, we also got new mess kit when Blondin was our Boss.

daftandbarmy said:
As awesome as this is, it's still bizarre and sad that we can't issue good boots to our troops, which is a tool about as basic and critical as any of the others we do our work with.

I fully agree. The inability to procure a decent boot for the troops is indicative of a bigger problem.

garb811 said:
Call me jaded but...

People think the same organization that has spent what, 15+ years? trying to get a boot that will work via the procurement process is suddenly going to be able to magically come up with a magical pre-approved list with boots that work?  If they could do that, we'd already be wearing these magical boots.  Further to that, I'd be shocked in Logistik agreed to provide more than 2 or 3 different variants via their site so once Phase 3 kicks in, I suspect a lot of people are going to be back to paying for their own boots again.

If we are lucky, we are going to end up in a PLD situation; stuck in limbo in phase 1.

The US Military struggled with the same problems for years, now they have a list of 12+ different boots/boot manufacturers that are AR670-1/Berry compliant and are approved for wear. They purchased the boots using their Uniform allowance.

They've had this system in place for 10 years and there's no sign of it changing.

Back