• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

I would not call having pride in your regiment opinionated. Without that pride as a building block you don‘t have a regiment.

Pride differences aside, if you join PPCLI, you will be based in the Western part of Canada, and RCR is based both in Ontario and The Maritimes.

The PPCLI have a better looking cap badge than the RCR. you should make you decision based only on that.

Who has the better and or newer facilities for training and living I know about gagetown god I dread that place. I hear out west things are better in most regards. Anyone whos spent time out west and in Ontairo want to elaborate.

I‘d go with location, do you want to be close to friends and family? If so, then go RCR and head to Petawawa. You should be thinking about matters such as that. The men in both regiments are good guys, you‘ll learn enough from those who walked before you.

so far all the old reg guys in my unit are screaming at me for wanting to go 3 RCR. from what everyone keeps telling me; ppcli gets better taskings, and gets the cooler smaller tours stuff. but I want to stay in the regiment for a little bit. just to say I earned the RCR capbadge, twice.
it really all depends I guess. ppcli is more light infantry then mechanized, and rcr is more mechanized then it is light.
Greg

I know 1 and 2 battalions of PPCLI are mechanized and 3 is light.I am not sure of the RCR battalions someone tell me what battalions are light and which are mechanized Thanks. :soldier:

they get trained at the canadian parachute centre and cfb trenton, ontario.
it‘s a real nice set up in there, with an 8 o‘clock wake up call of an cf-18 screaming by you every morning.
they‘ve got some good grub at the base as well. then again, it is an air force base.
1&2 RCR are mech, and 3 is light.
Greg

I think all the jumpers are out of Trenton now but they used to have a jump contingent out of Edmonton.

Do we really have a choice on where we go? My DH is in Wainright doing his SQ and BIQ courses and it seems like we don‘t really have a choice where we go. I don‘t want to go to Shilo at all!!(family in BC and ON...too far from both) Last week, one of the guys asked where they will be going...and the answer was Shilo. It is not official of course. But does someone with a family have a little pull on the decision.
He wants to be in 3PPCLI, he wants to be a jumper but if we get based in Shilo, we will both be miserable.

They ask you where you want to go and they try and send you their, however sometimes that doesnt happen if you have a family extra consdieration is taken and if you have to be moved, they will move wife and kids also.

You may get conderation later on especially if the family member is sick or terminal but in the short term no you don‘t have a choice. P.S. Shilo is a hole in the ground and I challenge anyone to tell me otherwise. We had the head of Western Canada Army at our base during Roto 12 and he‘s like "well the new people coming in won‘t have any idea how bad it is because they won‘t know any different". I wanted to kick him right in the junk. We are also losing close to 100 pers to OT‘s and getting out prior to the move. The next three years is going to get a lot worse before it gets anywhere better. The only upside to Shilo will be quick promotion for those that want it.

what do you mean by quick promotions if you go to shilo, why would it be any quicker

The RCR are to Ultramarines as the PPCLI are to the Space Wolves.

(Warhammer 40K, anyone?)

Yay....my next two exercises are both in Shilo...

The base is fine for a day or two though, but I wouldn‘t want to stay longer.

Originally posted by *CDN*Blackhawk:
[qb] You will hear mostly Opinonated answers, RCR members will claim they are best, PPCLI will claim they are best. Its really personal choice on where you want to go. [/qb]
Opinionated!?
Nah we Hengineer‘s are not and we are still the best. :D
Every one know‘s it! ;)
The only Arm‘s who are not our decendent‘s are the Infantry and Navy. :salute:

Back