• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constraining Canadian Federal Budget during Post COVID Downturn

My daughter wants to be a farmer. I told her I would retire and help her set up and get going. Shes 10, so I still have some time lol

While perhaps not a "trade" its in the same family of jobs IMHO.
So I’m not sure what sorts of schools they have in NS for farming but Guelph University offres a pretty good agriculture program (basically farming school) here. I think we also have a few more that offer similar programs. But Guelph I think is the better one.

Last edited:
Not likely to happen though...

I frequently regret not going into a trade, and I'm an engineer that uses my degree daily. Depending on what trade I'd done, I probably make a bit more money compared to what I would have and it's easier on the body, but a lot of days the bureaucracy injures my soul, and you take it home.

I never once took home anything other than some tired muscles and a sense of accomplishment when I worked semi-skilled labour jobs before joining.

I'd probably tell 18 year old me to do welding, cnc or similar, and look at special quals and options for things like QC to give the body a break as you get old.

I think it would be good if people stopped expecting to be fulfilled by their job as the primary driver, and looked for something that paid the bills first. If you find work you don't mind, and gives you enough free time to pursue your passion as a hobby while paying the bills, that's probably a lot less stress then doing something you love and needing to hit up food banks.

It's weird though, because a lot of people are working 2-3 part time jobs to get those degrees, and those are generally unskilled labour, so it's not like there is a lack of work ethic as they are grinding themselves to the bone. Seems more of a disconnect with achieving the degree then what they can actually do with the credentials and how it translates into getting paid.

So I’m not sure what sorts of schools they have in NS for farming but Guelph University offres a pretty good agriculture program (basically failing school) here. I think we also have a few more that offer similar programs. But Guelph I think is the better one.
If you actually want to farm I'd argue that Ridgetown is the better option. UofG lost something when they move the two year program to the satellite campus.

So I’m not sure what sorts of schools they have in NS for farming but Guelph University offres a pretty good agriculture program (basically failing school) here. I think we also have a few more that offer similar programs. But Guelph I think is the better one.

Dalhousie has an AG College in Truro.

I'm honestly not sure how it would compare with Guelph's programs.

If you actually want to farm I'd argue that Ridgetown is the better option. UofG lost something when they move the two year program to the satellite campus.

Isnt ironic that we are lamenting the over saturation of post secondary qualification and here we are talking about a degree for a farmer ?

That is where I am pushing my kids.
I'm ten years away from any kind of "push", but yeah
  • Trades with either a 1 year college business diploma (in person if they want to get out and live in the city, online if not) to set themselves up to either advance in their company or go it alone and do well
  • Anything in the medical field
  • STEM/CS if they really have a passion and plan for how to use it

Knew a few people in the Agi program; it is pretty intense but they learned a lot. I vaguely remember it included things like the business aspects, IP and some of the other big picture things impacting farms that weren't an issue 50 years ago, as well as a lot of the science for crop and animal husbandry.

Guelph also has one of the best vet programs in the country so there was some overlap there as well. I don't know if there is anything else like it in the country. I think it's one of those unique programs that is at a university but a lot more hands on and practical like you would expect for a college, which I think is the best of both worlds for a lot of fields.

Ontario Agricultural College |

Niagara college also has a program like that, but very specific to vineyard agriculture, and I think also a sommelier program. I imagine there are similar across the country.

Isnt ironic that we are lamenting the over saturation of post secondary qualification and here we are talking about a degree for a farmer ?
Not really. The two year program is an incredible hands on diploma

And I'm sure no offense meant, but you should spent a couple of hours listening to farm radio show to appreciate the complexity of the career and life. Farm kids hitting Ridgetown is in no way credential driven.

Not likely to happen though...

You know who will likely persue a career in skilled trades? Immigrants. They'll gobble up the good paying jobs while the 3 in 4 Canadians fight it out for the scraps. The rest will just live under never ending social welfare and complain about lack of jobs (for them) and resort to becoming activists for whatever the trendy topic of the day is.

Not really. The two year program is an incredible hands on diploma

And I'm sure no offense meant, but you should spent a couple of hours listening to farm radio show to appreciate the complexity of the career and life. Farm kids hitting Ridgetown is in no way credential driven.
Agreed. The program is very robust. It’s incredibly hard to get into farming unless you were raised on a farm and learned everything from birth. This at least is one way to get people into it.

Knew a few people in the Agi program; it is pretty intense but they learned a lot. I vaguely remember it included things like the business aspects, IP and some of the other big picture things impacting farms that weren't an issue 50 years ago, as well as a lot of the science for crop and animal husbandry.

Guelph also has one of the best vet programs in the country so there was some overlap there as well. I don't know if there is anything else like it in the country. I think it's one of those unique programs that is at a university but a lot more hands on and practical like you would expect for a college, which I think is the best of both worlds for a lot of fields.

Ontario Agricultural College |

Niagara college also has a program like that, but very specific to vineyard agriculture, and I think also a sommelier program. I imagine there are similar across the country.

I'll vouch for the Unigoo programmes. One of the key aspects of the Aggie programmes at Guelph is lots of well equipped labs with industrial equipment.

Back