• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contract Lengths (Merged)

Thanks Fusilier,

Wow, that clears up a misconception I had about TOS. I was surprised to see some of the trades that have a lot of classroom time associated with them have fairly short terms, like ANAV is only 6 years. While Infantry is a full 9 years.

Remember OFP!  Operational Functional Point, I'm not sure why ANAV is 6 yrs and Infantry 9....minds greater than mine at work  ;).  Be sure to talk to your recruiter for more details on individual occupations.

Thanks for the clarification Fusilier...one more question regarding this:

[quote author=Fusilier]
737 Med Tech - first TOS = VIE of 6 yrs, second TOS IE of 25 (this means you serve 6 yrs and then if you wish to stay in you then sign a TOS 25 bringing your TOTAL service to 25 years)
[/quote]

Must it be a TOS of 25 years after your initial TOS of 6 is up? Is it not possible to sign for another 3, 4, 6, or even 10 years, instead of another 19?

Zombie said:
Must it be a TOS of 25 years after your initial TOS of 6 is up? Is it not possible to sign for another 3, 4, 6, or even 10 years, instead of another 19?

You sign a contract that will allow you to serve up to the 25 year point before new Terms of Service (TOS) would be required, perhaps a short Continuing Engagement (CE) or only a few years, or terms taking you to Compulsory Retirement Age (CRA). The contract to 25 years is not a compulsory term, you would be permitted to request release before it's completing (subject, as always, to service requirements) but there has been no discussion that I have seen allowing for shorter engagement terms.

Does any of this affect remustering? Or is a remuster (request) allowed at any time?

I'm a little confused I've been selected for 434 FCS tech, does this mean I might be serving more than 3 years in my initial time?

Hi guys,

Ok first off - to Zombie, 

However, for the Med Tech trade the only TOS options are intial VIE - 6 yrs and then onto an IE for a total service of 25 yrs, and of course there may be options for further TOS as Michael O'Leary stated. Remember though "contract" is a dirty word. ;)

In ref to remustering, yes you can request a voluntary occupational transfer (VOT) as long as you meet the fol prerequisites: 
- Must have completed 48 months of continuous service by 31 December of the year in which the application is made.
- Must meet appropriate medical category for desired MOC (you must be fit medically for that occupation)
- Must be QL4 qualified in current MOC (normally a period of On the Job Training (OJT)
- Must be Pte/Cpl or if MCpl or above, must be willing to relinquish rank and pay to Cpl
- Member's occupation must be "open out" as detailed in competition message (which are published yearly)

Big thing to note - "members who voluntarily occupationally transfer (VOT) must agree to a Restricted Release Date/Period (RRD/P).  This will help recover the training invested in bringing members to the OFP (remember this  ;) ) in the new occupation.  The RRD/P takes effect the date members sign the statement of understanding for the new occupation.  The actual 3 yr RRD/P commences the day after members reach OFP in their new occupation."  Make any sense?  Basically, you've trained as a Med Tech, and now for some strange reason you decide you want to become infantry  ;D you've already served four years of your Med Tech VIE (6yrs), now you will have to sign another VIE of 3 yrs for the infantry in order for the army to recoup the cost of training you.

To Copper - I'm guessing you've just been selected, yes it's more than three years.  You will be on a VIE for 4 yrs, then the next TOS will be a CE of 5 yrs and then finally an IE to bring you to a total of 25 years.

Remember, once you've finished your first VIE, if you don't want to stay in no problem just refuse futher TOS, same goes for at the end of a CE.  Once you're on an IE you may submitt voluntary release (with 6 months notice) at any time. 

So clear as mud?

So clear as mud?

Fusilier,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I am hoping for Med Tech, and I was quite confused about how the whole term of service situation worked. It actually all makes sense how it works now. Again, thanks so much for the clarification.

Thanks for taking the time to explain Fusilier, that definitely helps out a lot...

You're very welcome!  Almost like having you're own personal clerk eh ;D

Ya I just got the confirmation of the 4 years followed by the remaining 25 in my update interview... I always kind of wonder if kincanucks is the one interviewing me though... that would be weird.

Already on my IE but just for sh!ts and giggles; anyone know how long Sig-Op (215) VIEs are?

Fusilier,

How long are the initial TOS for RMS Clerk or a Supply Tech?  I had no idea that the initial TOS were differant for every trade.  I thought it was 3 yrs for all of them. 

Thanks,
RS

The first basic engagement for supp tech or clerk is 3 years AFAIK, as for comms, dunno.  I know when my transfer goes through for  Armour its a 3 year BE, an my brothers first BE for Infantry was 3 years.

Supply tech and clerk are still 3 years, sig op is 4 years, and trade 011 crewman is now 5 years. This is all courtsey of Fusilier's word document titled "TOS Sequence by Occupation" found on the second page of this thread. This and the one for officers should actually be stickied if any directing staff are listening.

Copper is correct (would make a good clerk  ;)), the difference for Sup Tech and RMS Clk is the second TOS the CE.

Sup Tech VIE = 3 yrs, then IE 25
RMS Clk VIE = 3 yrs, CE = 5 yrs then IE 25
Sig OP VIE = 4yrs, CE = 5 yrs then IE 25

Back