• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cotton socks...?

Ounce of prevention is exactly right. It takes just one sheep hunt to figure out how important your feet are. I took great care of my feet, but due to inadequate boots I had to slow my pace at times. I remembered thinking "Congrats, in a wartime scenario you either just screwed yourself or screwed the mission." Superfeet aren't as good at fixing pronation (in most people) as the physio-issued type insoles, but they help and do wonders for ankle support. If it makes me just a little more comfortable, I'll do it. As I said earlier, quoting Paracowboy from one of his threads, any idiot can be miserable. Thanks for the advice :nod:

NorthWinds said:
quoting Paracowboy from one of his threads

My advice on another thread was to read nothing on this site.  However, if you are determined to read here, read Paracowboy.

My parents couldn't leave cereal boxes on the table as a kid because I would read them instead of eating. Determined is EXACTLY the right word  ;D

I'll keep that in mind, although do you mind if I ask what the reasoning behind that particular philosophy is?

NorthWinds said:
I'll keep that in mind, although do you mind if I ask what the reasoning behind that particular philosophy is?

Paracowboy hasn't been active here in years.  He is a dude and he is right abut a lot of things.  More right than most.

For those through the system army.ca is good.  We find advice on places to live when posted or pass on what we know about the system that may not be obvious to anyone not having personal experience in a particular area.  We also track a bit of news and vent when something pisses us off or laugh at someone because, well, why not. 

Specifically I was referring to the recruit threads because recruits are on a well trod path.  it is the same philosophy that prevents me from asking how a story ends before I turn the first page. 

Not specific to you but generally to anyone not through the recruit training system, I would encourage them to log off and enjoy the ride.  The system wants you to succeed, you want to succeed.  There is a lot of common ground there.  Millions have gone before and been successful and the vast majority made it through basic training before army.ca or the internet.

Don't be afraid t fail, to do something stupid, to get in s**t.  You will anyway.  You NCO's will jack you up and probably laugh at you.  Learn from it, enjoy it.  There in lies success.  Looking for the short cut or the easy answer from someone else is ultimately stunting.

The best part of the army is the story.  Write your own.

trustnoone73 said:
Don't be afraid t fail, to do something stupid, to get in s**t.  You will anyway. You NCO's will jack you up and probably laugh at you.  Learn from it, enjoy it.  There in lies success.  Looking for the short cut or the easy answer from someone else is ultimately stunting.

The best part of the army is the story.  Write your own.

Your NCO's were once "you", and have trained many of "you", so they know all (well, almost all) the tricks and shortcuts that you may try to pull off.  It will be next to impossible to pull off anything that will go undetected by them.  In some cases you will be disciplined for what you do, in others you may be praised for your initiative.  Like trustnoone73 said:  "The best part of the army is the story.  Write your own."  The people you train and work with will become friends for life.

I'm currently on BMOQ and my staff really doesn't care what underwear you wear, as long as it's not silly things with little hearts. (Out of sight out of mind). As for chaffing, which I had some problem with in the field, one of my Mcpl recommended Underarmor underwear. The socks they issue you are awesome though, so are the green undies. Just make sure if/when you go in the hoochies to wash every day (with wet ones) and to change underwear and socks as often as possible. Sometimes it's tempting to skip hygiene when you only get 2 hours of sleep on a good night, but you'll get plenty of problems if you do that. Also don't sleep in your combat, especially if it's wet.

/Random field tips.

Back