• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cougars to Armoured Recce

George Wallace said:
Then the point has to be drive home to Treasury Board that the Budget has to be 'Fixed".   This is where I figure they have given up and don't fight for more.  

Or that they continually fight the good fight on our behalf - we just don't get to see it.  Perhaps things would be a lot worse if "they" weren't beavering away?

A job has to be done and it requires the support necessary to do it.

No argument there...

If the hierarchy can't point that out to the Government then they are not doing their jobs.  They are accepting defeat.

There is a difference between "pointing something out to the Governement" and getting them to agree to your point.

Lets put it this way - you wouldn't blame your Tp Comd if there was an ammo shortage for the Training Year would you?

George Wallace said:
I might if he never thought to indent for some... ;D

Says the lieutenant in a slightly panic stricken voice "I was supposed to indent for it???"

http://www.army.dnd.ca/GGHG/Ops&Trg.htm

We have turned a rotten lemon to something more palatable. I hope that whatever happens, that it will work out for the better.

To 12A; I too regret the course we have been told to march through. 

Welcome Phil

Look forward to hearing more from you. Might help though if you fill out your profile. Goes a long way to people taking you serious.  ;) Cheers.

GunfighterSB said:
http://www.army.dnd.ca/GGHG/Ops&Trg.htm
We have turned a rotten lemon to something more palatable. I hope that whatever happens, that it will work out for the better.

An excellent website.  Kudos to the Regiment.

Welcome aboard FG, :salute:
I need reinforcements from time to time here, :warstory: LOL

Yes a great site, tanks.
See ya back at the Div soon. :tank:

12A, as of October 7, 2004; we are no longer using the Cougars as a transition platform to recce. My CO just returned from the Armour Corps Conference and told us that we are getting 16 Iltis from warstock to train with.

I expect to be betrayed again so I am not even trusting them to deliver those Iltises to our unit. A pity but with the way we (reserve armour) have been treated in the past, I remain skeptical. Even if we do get them, they probably will be farmed out to drive some Obese REMF Staff Wiener, who will break it from his over the bridge class girth - while complaining that it is too cramped for him. Leaving us with a broken jeep with no spare parts.

I am running every other day right now to improve my speed and stealth and learning to read Russian from the rest of my Regiment so that I can "borrow" a T-XX and continue on my rampage. This may seem the only way for us to get armour.

I chaired the Armoured Recce Conversion Conference in LFCA in the Spring, and I am surprised by the ILTIS news.  This is an option that had been considered, and discounted.

When you talk about the fat obese stff REMF - are you talking about Regimental staff?

PPCLI Guy said:
I chaired the Armoured Recce Conversion Conference in LFCA in the Spring, and I am surprised by the ILTIS news.   This is an option that had been considered, and discounted.

When you talk about the fat obese stff REMF - are you talking about Regimental staff?

No. One has to be svelt and slim to fit in the turret. Plus with all the talk of going recce last year, we have made the efforts to be leaner and meaner (because we have to bluff our way now, instaed of blasting them to Arrallu!).

We are caged in the same building with Brigade and LFCA headquarters. Since those MILCOTs and the rental 4x4s can not go off road.....

To all you Cougar soldiers, change is come! Get with it. That Regs have and learn the damn job. I think some in the Regts are scared. No more donuts and extra cheese on the burgers. Now they have to get out and learn something. PPCLI Guy, you chaired the ARCC?

Actually, I don't blame them if they have some angst.

Cougars gone, and so far, nothing to replace them.  The most likely feel like an infanteer with his rifle taken away.  Kind of hard to do reconnaissance training with no wheels! (or tracks).  The milverado won't do the trick, and the Gelandewagen is still a couple of years away for some of the Units, isn't it?

How are they even expected to retain soldiers, let alone recruit?

Lance Wiebe said:
Actually, I don't blame them if they have some angst.

Cougars gone, and so far, nothing to replace them.   The most likely feel like an infanteer with his rifle taken away.   Kind of hard to do reconnaissance training with no wheels! (or tracks).   The milverado won't do the trick, and the Gelandewagen is still a couple of years away for some of the Units, isn't it?

How are they even expected to retain soldiers, let alone recruit?

Actually they will have Iltis to replace them, and an Iltis is more like a G-wagon than is a Cougar.

From what I understand, they have not yet received the Iltis, at least most of the used-to-be-once-proud-armour-units-but-now-have-no-armour units.  Of course, the recce units have Iltis.

But the ex-Armour Units will be waiting quite some period of time for the Iltis to show up, won't they?

Lance Wiebe said:
From what I understand, they have not yet received the Iltis, at least most of the used-to-be-once-proud-armour-units-but-now-have-no-armour units.   Of course, the recce units have Iltis.

But the ex-Armour Units will be waiting quite some period of time for the Iltis to show up, won't they?

Less than one month I would think.  VMOs should have been already cut.

Recce41 said:
To all you Cougar soldiers, change is come! Get with it. That Regs have and learn the darn job. I think some in the Regts are scared.

Thanks Recce41, I feel much better now. I knew someone could put it into words I could understand.

Change without planing is a fuc*&^*^'ing joke.the people who are runnig the operation are sleeping at the wheel.
This will do more harm to all Armoured res units no matter how much everyone sugar coats it.

But maybe that was the plan all along, tear down the res's through no kit, god's knows they have tried to do it with no funds for training and for the last 10 years.

Wounder how many reg force units that when they lost there tanks were to train on nothing till the MGS comes online would hold on the the "lets suck it up" atitude and who would not leave there units?

From your position you can't understand what this means to  the res's, Lance hit it on the head"tell the grunts there losing there wpns".

At our unit there pulling in Iltis's for all over for us to train on, when they break we are back to the same problem that was the fate of our jeeps SCRAPED, oh planning, take  away the Working cougar with parts, then give iltis with no parts.

No planing, but this has been our history for a long time has it not.

And oh ya,,,, I'm sucking it it allright.............................

12Alfa said:
Thanks Recce41, I feel much better now. I knew someone could put it into words I could understand.

Change without planing is a fuc*&^*^'ing joke.the people who are runnig the operation are sleeping at the wheel.
This will do more harm to all Armoured res units no matter how much everyone sugar coats it.

But maybe that was the plan all along, tear down the res's through no kit, god's knows they have tried to do it with no funds for training and for the last 10 years.

Wounder how many reg force units that when they lost there tanks were to train on nothing till the MGS comes online would hold on the the "lets suck it up" atitude and who would not leave there units?

From your position you can't understand what this means to   the res's, Lance hit it on the head"tell the grunts there losing there wpns".

At our unit there pulling in Iltis's for all over for us to train on, when they break we are back to the same problem that was the fate of our jeeps SCRAPED, oh planning, take   away the Working cougar with parts, then give iltis with no parts.

No planing, but this has been our history for a long time has it not.

And oh ya,,,, I'm sucking it it allright.............................

I'm pretty much certain that there will be more Iltis available to train on than there would have been Cougars.

Do you want to train, or would you rather drive around posing in the "Pumpkin Launcher"?    

What training are you losing out on other than Cougar Driver courses in the next month?

Reg Force Arty units are "sucking it up" having parked M109s, Infantry have lost Mor, Pnr, Coyote and TOW.

OK.  Let's visit this in one month, and fine out how many Iltis have been delivered, and of them, how many are operational, ie, TCCCS equipped.

For one, Recce is not veh dependent. The Germains use vehs from the GW to LEO.

Back