• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

I passes my skill test in the 1st third ,
All looks well from here ,
But i have a criminal record , notthing bad , no drugs no alcool
Just a kid mistake  was like 8 years ago , already asked
For Pardon.

I kinda stress with that , im all clean but that ... Anyone knows
If it will affect my admission !?

If you have legal obligations (court, probation etc.) and have not been granted a pardon, you will be unable to enrol in the CF.

It will affect it. We cannot predict whether it will mean you will be unsuccessful. It will depend on the nature of the offence, whether you have outstanding legal obligations (court dates, probation, conditions, firearms prohibitions, etc- all of those are a hard stop on a file).

If it was a youth offence under the YCJA, it will have much less impact, if, as you've said, it's a minor offence.

The only way you will no for sure is seeing the process through.

Okay no probation to fulfill , no legal obligation , nottin said about fire arms ..

Pardon is granted but have to wait till its effective !!

So all depends on what it is , and all the stuff

Around it i guess !!!

Well ill wait and see !

Gotta still be confident !

Lets go FTW !

I Passed my CFAT yesterday - but was obviously very honest on my past drug use as a teenager/young adult, and my criminal history which subsequently has a damper on my credit file as well. ( two outstanding fines for no insurance while driving to college) Most of my charges stem from youth offenses but have no disposition in place, my Last conviction was in 2009.
The Sgt I spoke with immediately pulled me into a room and we had a chat about my file. As I expected I would have to wait a little bit longer until booking a time for medical and interview, because of the credit/criminal/ and reference check. That being said if you have a criminal record/bad credit just be prepared to be patient.  :salute:

matthew709 said:
hi first time poster on this site. I could use some help regarding my situation. I will keep it as brief as possible but it could take a decent amout of writing to get what I think is the necessary info out.

when I was 15 (18 now) I got charged with x2 attempted armed robbery. I eventually pled guilty to x2 theft. I was given a conditional discharge. no restricted firearms, no check ins etc, just a flat discharge. my record will be dropped in may. the judge took into consideration my wanting to join the army and that's why she decided not to restrict my firearms. id like to add that the "attempted armed robbery" was a joke with a fake gun on someone who I thought wouldn't take it seriously. but that's besides the point now I guess..

i also have some things that could be on my record from when i was like 12-15. just stupid things like warnings and stuff. no actual charges. i haven't had any trouble with the law in over 3 years. im not some criminal i just did some dumb things when i was younger. im super motivated and determined to join and maybe transfer to regular force.

so will they let me in with this situation. thanks in advance for any replies. not exactly positive if this is the correct section of the forum to post this but it seemed the right place. if any extra info is needed for a solid answer just say so and i will post it.

If this happened when you were under 18 and you were charged as a minor then that record is sealed.  A CPIC check would show the presence of the youth record but it would also show that it is sealed and would not show what it was for.  Essentially, as far as I have ever seen, the only record the recruiting centers are concerned about are adult in nature. 

Hatchet Man said:
Not for the CAF, I explained this in another thread, the information in a YO record is sent to a very select few at CFRG HQ.  Based on the information they receive, they will simply tell the applicant's recruiting centre, to continue processing or cease processing.  There is a reason the security forms don't exclude YO offences.  And that reason is they do get checked.

I have never seen that.  My brother works at CFRG HQ in Borden and processes such files.  Even he cannot see a criminal record for a youth and as an MP I know that even I cannot see it when I do a CPIC check.  It is sealed at 18 and remains so. 

Phoenix80 said:
Hi every one,
I read this current thread from the first page and it seems no one asked the question that I have.
What about arrest(s) records/petty charges/ but no convictions whatsoever? And those arrest records/finger prints have been officially destroyed years ago through proper channels. Court records indicate that no conviction was ever received and the charges were dropped. Can those arrest records possibly prevent a potential recruit from joining the CF? Do they even show up on the background check?
Thank you.

Yes, your charges and such will show up on a police records check which is the standard check conducted when they look in CPIC.  At the same time however the only things that are considered adversely against you are convictions.  Anyone can be arrested or charged with an offence however the simple principle of "innocent until proven guilty" always applies.  The standard question that gets asked by anyone requesting background when they talk to you is something along the lines of "have you ever been convicted of a crime for which a pardon has not been granted?"  That does not encompass charges so you are good as long as the charges are still not active and not disposed of by the Courts.

Every time I had to do a check for employment purposes the record came back with my youth offenses on paper but I think that is only because I am the one that requested the document.

Schindler's lift said:
I have never seen that.  My brother works at CFRG HQ in Borden and processes such files.  Even he cannot see a criminal record for a youth and as an MP I know that even I cannot see it when I do a CPIC check.  It is sealed at 18 and remains so.

One would think this to be the case but it isn't and is slightly more complex than just "sealing" something when an individual turns 18.  Depending on the reason for conviction, there are periods of time which may have to pass before the record reaches the point of "non-disclosure", which can be as long as 5 years duration (beyond the existence of Judicial obligations). 

Also under the YCJA, I believe that if you have a Youth Record which is still in effect beyond the age of 18 and the individual subsequently "re-offends", the Youth Record is automatically converted over to "Adult Status".

Schindler's lift said:

That's nice, but I guess your brother isn't one of those select individuals.  I was a file manager in Toronto, and we would initiate dozens of checks every week and some of those would come back as adverse, and that we had to wait for decision from CFRG HQ , because it involved youth offences.

Just a quick question, I had to do a CPIC for a tour of a medium security prison and was wondering if on the security forms that I have to fill out for when I go to do my CFAT if I should put that I did a CPIC for something other then a job? I don't have a criminal record but I figures this post would sort of be relevant to the thread.

If you have never been convicted with a crime i would put no. Having a check done is a normal thing for employment purposes, visits to a jail, even traffic stops.

I have briefly skimmed the posts in this topic and have found some hurtful comments and what seems to be SOME misinformed People. There are a few comments I would back up personally in this topic, like " contact your Recruiter". It's the only way to go. As this site has become very helpful in preparation towards my application process and to better familiarize myself with the understanding of Canadian Armed Forces life, I find that there is no significant value in asking more in depth questions pertaining to you personally as a harsh reality seems to be " your a criminal and always will be, the Armed Forces will never let you in" is a shame to hear from what obviously is from an uneducated human being.

Granted we are all not idiots on here, if your applying and your just got arrested and out on bail. apply in a few years. No recruiter will offer any preparations in you openly tell them you have an outstanding legal obligation. Well were on that topic, talk to your recruiter, be honest and open. Tell them all the information, there going to find out eventually. Why waste both your time and there's, It's the Government moron's, Don't think you can hide things from them.

So if your thinking of heading down, talk to someone, tell them your story, your honestly will be understood and make you both stand out as an individual and show that your ready to face your problems and be an adult. Be proud to be a Canadian and show people that yeah maybe your a F^%$ up, but no mistake in your past will stop you from making your future right.

Cheers! :cdn:

Eh?

So not everyone here is an idiot, but then you generalize all (applicants, I assume, we are talking recruiting) as morons.

I briefly skimmed the thread as well and all I see is people being honest. It seems, more and more, that some people prefer to change "honesty" into something more sinister because they simply cannot handle someone telling them the cold hard truth. It also seems that, as a recurring theme here, the more seasoned members get a little tired of being asked the same question(s) over and over. I can understand that because I get tired of having to reply to posts like yours every now and then as well.

Here it is for all morons and non-idiots alike: with a criminal record you WILL have a harder time gaining entry into the CF. FULL STOP. Hell, I'd venture a guess that there ain't many jobs out there that require one to have a record, and so if you're facing equally qualified candidates of course it's going to hurt your chances - everywhere.

And if you do not like the above: tough shit. Go talk to a recruiter, go through the added steps of the process because of your thudfuck attack(s), wait the time, and see where you land. Simples.

It was more of a generalized comment to the specific few more than anything. I was not indicating that every or all here are idiots. I found it more geared to the others that feel the need to misinform possible candidates soly on there past indiscretions. I was doing this to notify many (what seemed) unsure applicants that certain situations shouldn't limit them. Granted I do have to agree with you in this matter that the process does take longer, but if your not willing to dedicate yourself to it why apply in the first place. I do apologize if I have made you or anyone feel singled out in this or my last post as that was not my intentions. Just felt like my moral obligation to speck my mind in this matter more then anything.

I'd like to just take the time to express my experience for those of you who can use the knowledge I learned from my application process. This is just a general post to cover what I've gone through.

When I started the application process with the Canadian Forces I had, and still do, a criminal record (for DUI). Right off the get go I was told this was not a show stopper. However, it will hinder the speed in which your application goes through the process GREATLY. It took me ten months just to get through the security and background checks. I wish that was the only thing that slowed me down, as I had credit problems as well. I owed close to 10,000 dollars in debt. Which my recruiter advised me to pay off before my application could go any further (which I done).

In closing, I say if you want to apply, do so. There is only one way to find out if you will, or will not, get approval (BE PREPARED TO WAIT). As of right now I am merit listed and waiting for my call. Don't be discouraged by your past. Push for your future and prove you've changed for the better. If all else fails, The Canadian Forces helped me get my life back together, even if I never get the call I'm waiting for.

PS. Sorry in advance for the bump of an old thread.

Hatchet Man said:
That's nice, but I guess your brother isn't one of those select individuals.  I was a file manager in Toronto, and we would initiate dozens of checks every week and some of those would come back as adverse, and that we had to wait for decision from CFRG HQ , because it involved youth offences.

No doubt that was the case but that does not mean that CFRG HQ can see the records.  There are mechanisms for them to inquire about the info through proper channels and they still do not see the records.  They only get it confirmed that the youth record was not for a select number of offences that would prohibit enrollment. 

Back