• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

@Furniture

We shut that down at our dinners. Who knows if someone has a medical issue or social anxiety? Why make someone uncomfortable because they need to perform a routine bodily function?

I never had a problem with singing or any other ritual embarrassment to go to the washroom, but I also know that I'm a lot more comfortable in front of a crowd than the average person.

I love mess dinners, they can be a lot of fun. But I am glad to see some of the stiffness of them fading away. Personally I think they should be a much more open affair, inclusive of spouses/partners and more relaxed. I know that's more like dinning in; maybe that's the direction we should be moving.

I also think its strange that we worry about people's social sensitivities and comfort levels.

If some good natured public ribbing is a bridge to far the CAF probably isn't the right fit for them. If that's too much, I really don't trust sending them into a burning or flooding compartment and keeping their composure and doing their duty.

We shut that down at our dinners. Who knows if someone has a medical issue or social anxiety? Why make someone uncomfortable because they need to perform a routine bodily function?

I never had a problem with singing or any other ritual embarrassment to go to the washroom, but I also know that I'm a lot more comfortable in front of a crowd than the average person.
Well that’s why my caveat says event dependent. We have senior NCO events or unit only events with good humoured ribbing and commentary. Like at one event where we typically boo the RSM when he’s introduced. Other more solemn affairs like more traditional commemorative things or with outside guests and it will be less so.

We had a former general come speak at one event and he commented on how we had just the right mix of formality and relaxed jovial atmosphere. That is what we should be aiming for.

I love mess dinners, they can be a lot of fun. But I am glad to see some of the stiffness of them fading away. Personally I think they should be a much more open affair, inclusive of spouses/partners and more relaxed. I know that's more like dinning in; maybe that's the direction we should be moving.

I also think its strange that we worry about people's social sensitivities and comfort levels.

If some good natured public ribbing is a bridge to far the CAF probably isn't the right fit for them. If that's too much, I really don't trust sending them into a burning or flooding compartment and keeping their composure and doing their duty.
It isn't really a mess dinner if significant others are invited. My mess did it once. We had a few people who refused to come because they felt that it was inappropriate for their significant other to attend.

It isn't really a mess dinner if significant others are invited. My mess did it once. We had a few people who refused to come because they felt that it was inappropriate for their significant other to attend.

There used to be 'Ladies Nights', or whatever the politically correct term is these days.

They were always done poorly with one speaker at one such event using the memorable term 'camp follower' in his toast to the ladies.

A truly spectacularly awful moment which, despite the horror, I'm glad I was there to see :)

Back