• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deploying the DART to Asia

They haven`t left yet - I`ve lost count how many times thy`ve been stood to in the last little while and had no movement.  Having said that, they`ll likely move in some shape or form this time (at least to Trrenton anyway, hehe).

MM

I usually think that after each government embarrasment that things will finally change.  Not bloody likely. >:(

Do we even have 24 Herc's ?  :-\ :-[  Hopefully they send over DART, they need all the help they can get over there.

PV

PViddy,

I don't think they will go by Herc.  That about only worked when they went to Honduras.  It is not necessarily 24 Hercs as much as 24 Herc trips, and either way, this is not going to happen.  I assume they will call the Antonov moving company from Ukraine like we did back for the earthquake in Turkey back a couple of years ago.

I should have rented an Antonov for New Years eve!  :P

PV

I thought they ruled out the Antonov since it would cost upwards of 12 million dollars to lease?

DART mission to region carried too many risks
By STEVEN CHASE and BRIAN LAGHI
From Friday's Globe and Mail
31 Dec 2004

Ottawa â ” Senior Canadian officials discussed sending the military's embattled Disaster Assistance Response Team to tsunami-ravaged Asia at a high-level meeting Wednesday but unanimously rejected it because of concern about cost effectiveness and danger to the troops.

The interdepartmental meeting, which included top Canadian diplomats in Southeast Asia, discussed the tsunami disaster and worries about political unrest in Indonesia.

"The major players sitting around the big table were all convinced to the best of their knowledge . . . that DART is not particularly the best suited to be deployed," the source said of the meeting, which included about 60 people from more than seven departments and agencies as well as the Prime Minister's Office.

"In the case of Sumatra and the Banda Aceh area [of Indonesia], it's not a safe area: This has been an insurrectional area and a military-controlled area by the government since 1976," the source said. "It's unstable at best."

"Is [DART] adaptable to that kind of environment? No one is convinced," the source said.

Canada's hesitancy to deploy DART to disaster-stricken Asia has critics questioning how well prepared and adequately funded the military unit really is for tackling foreign crises. It was formed in 1996, amid great fanfare, as a means of responding rapidly to disasters.

But the team's last mission was more than half a decade ago, in 1999, and its last full-scale practice exercise was in 2001.

DART's annual budget is just $250,000 â ” not including deployment costs â ” and the group has only 15 full-time staff. The rest of the team's 200 positions are filled by designated on-call staff elsewhere in the military.

The team has no dedicated aircraft and must depend on Ottawa and the cash-strapped Department of National Defence to find it transport.

DART is not able to say how long it would take to get a team to Asia, and a spokesman said that would depend on how fast it could get aircraft.

Under fire for keeping DART on the bench, the federal Liberal government yesterday dispatched a reconnaissance team to Sri Lanka, one of the countries hardest hit, to see if the unit might be needed there. The group included nine DART officials.

Critics say they fear the real reason for the foot-dragging is a lack of resources in the country's cash-strapped military. "Is this not the greatest human tragedy of a natural disaster that we have had in who knows how many hundreds of years?" asked Professor David Bercuson, director of the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary.

"If the [DART] team had been there and deployable, and the air transport was ready, surely to God this caring nation of ours would have sent them."

The decision to set up DART was made in the wake of an international failure in 1994 to get timely medical assistance to Rwandan refugees during a cholera outbreak. It has deployed only twice in its history, the last time to earthquake-rocked Turkey in 1999.

The 200-member DART team includes medical staff, security officers and engineers. They can set up field hospitals and water purification services in disaster areas as well as repair basic infrastructure and communications.

Since 2001 it has also practised assembling all DART personnel on short notice at its Trenton, Ont., military takeoff site.

After the federal government orders DART into action, team members would have 48 hours to assemble for departure from 8 Wing Trenton, where the group's supplies are also warehoused. There are 200 staff on call as well as an unspecified number of backup troops.

The 15 full-time DART staff work in Canadian Forces offices in Kingston and at DART's site in Trenton. The vast majority of the full 200-member team would come from Canadian Forces Base Petawawa if an order to deploy came today.

Retired Major-General Lewis MacKenzie said Ottawa must send the DART unit.

"If you have it, and it's for disaster â ” and now we have the biggest one in my lifetime â ” then surely it's time to deploy it," he said.

Gen. MacKenzie suggested Ottawa's delay in sending DART is partly because it's scrambling to find scarce air-transport resources to move the team there.

"They're probably frantically looking for [air] lift in order to get it there, and a lot of lift is being used up these days."

Some critics suggest DART exists more on paper than as a dedicated unit, as more of a contingency plan to pull together staff from the already stretched ranks of Canada's armed forces.

"It's like a volunteer fire brigade," said Scott Taylor, a former soldier and editor of Esprit de Corps magazine.

"They got a lot of mileage making it sound like these guys are sitting there with their jumpsuits on, ready to deploy â ” but they are not."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041231.wxdart31/BNStory/Front

There is an emergency meeting called by the PM scheduled tomorrow.  I would expect that he will announce the DART will be deployed in the very very near future then.  Don't believe me, check out my unit in my profile! :P

bossi said:
Yup - and I finally found the 1996 and 2001 census data (accompanied by the latest stats from CBC):

India - 235,930 -- 314,690 (death toll has hit 11,330 with many thousands still missing)
Sri Lanka - 67,420 -- 87,305   (27,000 people are now confirmed dead with nearly 5,000 still missing)
Malaysia 19,465 -- 20,420 (66 people were killed in Malaysia, mostly on Penang Island)
Indonesia - 8,520 -- 9,375 (tsunami death toll 80,000 and rising)
Thailand -   7,710 -- 8,130 (confirmed 2,400 deaths from the tsunami, among them over 700 foreign tourists, with another 6,000 people missing and feared dead)

So, in the grand scheme of things ... it would seem to make sense to send Canada's DART to Sri Lanka, for both humanitarian and political reasons.

Now I remember my other triain of thought ...
Somebody else contrasted the tsunami death toll with the number of people killed on September 11th.
Okay - in keeping with my conspiracy theory (... and the relative value of human life to Liberal party pollsters ...)

Does anybody remember the approximate death count from Rwanda ... ?  How many hundred thousand ... ?
The census doesn't specify how many voters we have of Rwandan origin, but once again I suspect the Liberal party pollsters similarly figured a Canadian vote to Rwanda wouldn't have garnered any appreciable number of votes or international trade ...
(Other Central and Southern Africa: 1996 - 7,805 --- 2001 - 13,525)

Hi Marc keep plugging away mate your going to end up a L/Cpl the way you are going (LOL) . I'm in Florida for the winter and on a local radio talk show this morning the host was revueing Far East disasters. I don't remember the date but I believe it was within the last 10 years and he said that a cyclone that hit Bangladesh caused in excess of 300,000 deaths. This entire debacle is turning into a huge political mess and our government is milking it for all that it is worth.

Aye Dileas

Saturdays Toronto Sun

Sat, January 1, 2005

DART misses obvious bull's-eye

By Peter Worthington -- For the Toronto Sun

A big question in the tsunami catastrophe in the South Pacific is why Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) isn't there? Instead, we've sent a plane load of water purification pills and, almost a week after the disaster, a military team to "assess the situation."

Good God! What is there to assess? It's arguably the world's greatest natural disaster ever, with the number of dead reaching towards 150,000. The lack of food, drinking water, the inevitability of disease, not to mention the injured, is so apparent as not to need much confirming or assessing.

The real reason why we -- "we" meaning Canada --haven't sent the much-ballyhooed DART to Sri Lanka or Indonesia is because we can't. It doesn't exist. Oh, it exists mostly on paper and in rhetoric, but there is no emergency team poised to rapidly respond to disaster as federal propaganda claims.

As recently as last Sept. 10, DND issued a "backgrounder" boasting that the genesis of DART was the 1994 Rwanda genocide when the army dispatched a Field Ambulance unit to "provide medical relief to refugees." Unfortunately, the relief effort arrived too late, when the cholera epidemic was diminishing.

"This experience convinced the Canadian government of the need to create a rapid-response capability to provide effective humanitarian aid ... (and) the concept of DART was born," the backgrounder says.

It said 200 trained military personnel "ready to deploy quickly" to conduct emergency relief for up to 40 days to "bridge the gap" until international aid can provide long-term help. Primary medical care and a water purification unit capable of producing 50,000 litres of fresh water a day are DART's specialty -- at least in theory. Coincidentally, drinkable water and medical care are the greatest need of tsunami victims.

So what went wrong? Again, it must be repeated that DART is largely propaganda, a smoke-and-mirrors concept. The people designated to "rapidly respond" were probably all on Christmas holidays, as were the PM, the foreign minister, the international co-operation minister. Only Defence Minister Bill Graham was around. Mercifully, he took charge and seems to be the only minister capable of making decisions and dealing with the emergency. Thank goodness for him.

Even if DART was operational (which it clearly isn't), we have no aircraft to transport the equipment. As it is, the military "assessment" team that flew to the South Pacific had to go by commercial aircraft, since the military doesn't have enough planes anymore. Nor do we seem to have planes that can make a long distance flight without turning back because of engine trouble (remember the Timor emergency a few years back?).

Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew, who is both hapless and hopeless in a job he has no talent for, insists Canada "is not a banana republic." This is true, so why do our political leaders behave as if it was?

To see the futility of Ottawa's betrayal of Canadians, go to the DND Web site (forces.gc.ca) and quick search DART and read the inflated bumf -- then wonder why a week after the tsunami nothing has happened. Some "rapid-response!"

Yet there'll be no repercussion until we elect a different government that doesn't indulge in secrecy and bafflegab. While we're at it, it should be mentioned that another classic example of DND myth-making is the vaunted JTF2 commando unit that is so secret reporters visiting Canadian units must promise not to interview or identify these guys whom regimental combat soldiers don't hold in high regard. A secret army within the army is, or should be, alien to a democracy.

Anyway, Ottawa has been caught with its pants down. In a curious way the tsunami disaster underlines how pathetic our federal government is.

Happy New Year, you guys and gals.

Just more comments from a journalist whom I am starting to lose some respect for.  I mean the swipe at JTF2 (one of his many) was not necessary for the story.  Anyone up for a side topic of what exactly is Worthington's problem with JTF2?

Just watching the PM's new conferance on CBC now.  Looks like the DART team will eventually be going, don't know how there gettin there but regardless.

PV

bossi said:
Now I remember my other triain of thought ...
Somebody else contrasted the tsunami death toll with the number of people killed on September 11th.
Okay - in keeping with my conspiracy theory (... and the relative value of human life to Liberal party pollsters ...)

Does anybody remember the approximate death count from Rwanda ... ?  How many hundred thousand ... ?
The census doesn't specify how many voters we have of Rwandan origin, but once again I suspect the Liberal party pollsters similarly figured a Canadian vote to Rwanda wouldn't have garnered any appreciable number of votes or international trade ...

I believe somewheres up around 800,000 Killed throughout the entire Genocide.

Canada sending DART

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/01/03/dart-050103.html

Off they go.....

Members of the Advance Party from the 200+ DART contingent here in Petawawa are off to Trenton tommorrow.

I don't care about the number of Herc's required, political appeasement, the cost, or anything else......

What pisses me off, is that more of my friends, some of whom got back from Athena Roto 0 and Bosnia Roto 13? not even a year ago, who were then sent on 3 to 4 month long Career Courses in Gagetown, then assisted with the work-up Trg for Athena TFK Roto 3, and who will no doubt be part of the TO&E for Athena TFK Roto 4 are being called upon again. One of them hasn't spent more than 33 days consecutively in his own home in over 2 years.

again, all comes down to money.  Hope you didn't vote Liberal  ;D  but ya, that is rediculous.

cheers

PV

The goverment is doing the right thing in not sending any teams in right away. They sent the recce group over to asses the situation. They need a plan first and foremost. The next step is can we provide the needed tools and expertise for what they need. No point in going over their only to be in the way or having the wrong peopel in the wrong place.  The first step i think is we need to see what the goverments of those countrys do themselves. If they sit on the side line and do very little, then can we afford to help them. No we need to make sure that their own goverments (civil and military) are doing the most they can. Then we need to step in and offer assistance in the gaps that they cannot fill themselves. it seems like it is a pain staking process and that needless deaths are occuring, can you imagine if we send peolpe in their only to have them in mine infested parts, or get caught up in some kind of internal civil war over control which most doublty will occur in soem parts. We need to have these people help themselves first before we can help them. Help and charity begins at home. the factthat alot of areas have been completely demloished says to me that sending in A/c and equipment may not be a good idea untill it can be supported on the ground. The reality is we have neither the money nor the man power to provide a large scale help mission, so we need to ensure that what ever support we do provide is not hastly wasted in the wrong areas.

I have to add my two cents worth that the DART, while good intentioned, is IMHO pretty much just a public relations stunt that doesn't really work well.   I would add my vote to PBI's that our military has no business doing this type of thing.

In my previous incarnation as an Artillery Officer, I was a staff officer at the Brigade Headquarters in Petawawa when DART was first set up.   We were, in a word, dumbfounded that such an idea had ever seen the light of day.   We were even more dumbfounded when the flood of VMOs began arriving that stripped some very scarce and expensive vehicles and equipment away from operational units so that it could all go sit in a compound in Trenton (no replacement equipment was ever provided, at least while I was there). If kit was slow in arriving in Trenton from our units, I would get phone calls threatening me with all sorts of dire things if I did not expedite it's removal from the brigade units (no excuses were accepted.  Even if the equipment was broken, they wanted it fixed yesterday and shipped) Forget about pointing out the impacts on training or operations or the cost- the people setting this up did not want to hear it.   All this for a unit does not exist in the classical sense.   As has been pointed out earlier, DART only has about 15 full-time members- the rest are drawn from whatever unit has it's turn to carry DART as it's secondary role.

I have been watching the news for the past week.   I have noticed that all of the military units that have been deployed to Asia to help from the US or Australia are normal combat units of their respective militaries (someone please correct me if I am wrong).   They seem to be doing just fine at helping out those in need.   So why does Canada, have as far as I am aware (again, I stand to be corrected) the world's only military-run disaster assistance team? Would we not farther ahead having more (any): heavy airlift, heavy sea lift, combat engineers, medium or heavy lift helos (take your pick or insert your own preferences) that would be useful in a wide range of circumstances including this disaster?

The only good thing that I will say about this whole situation is that we actually sent the recce party out before blinding committing the DART.   For those of you out there that say we have acted far too slowly in deploying, I'm not sure that you understand the scope of the problem here.   The disaster is huge and we want to end up where we are both wanted and needed.   We are also dealing with sovereign nations.   You don't just show up with your military unannounced, and say "hi, we are here to help", even in this type of situation.   At best, it would smack of colonialism; at worst it could be construed as an invasion.

Rant off.   Happy New Years everyone.

CTD said:
The goverment is doing the right thing in not sending any teams in right away. They sent the recce group over to asses the situation. They need a plan first and foremost. The next step is can we provide the needed tools and expertise for what they need. No point in going over their only to be in the way or having the wrong peopel in the wrong place.   The first step i think is we need to see what the goverments of those countrys do themselves. If they sit on the side line and do very little, then can we afford to help them. No we need to make sure that their own goverments (civil and military) are doing the most they can. Then we need to step in and offer assistance in the gaps that they cannot fill themselves. it seems like it is a pain staking process and that needless deaths are occuring, can you imagine if we send peolpe in their only to have them in mine infested parts, or get caught up in some kind of internal civil war over control which most doublty will occur in soem parts. We need to have these people help themselves first before we can help them. Help and charity begins at home. the factthat alot of areas have been completely demloished says to me that sending in A/c and equipment may not be a good idea untill it can be supported on the ground. The reality is we have neither the money nor the man power to provide a large scale help mission, so we need to ensure that what ever support we do provide is not hastly wasted in the wrong areas.

How about instead, at the moment we understood the scope of the disaster we confirm the Columbo airport is open and using our own strategic airlift get the water purification system, the assessment team, their own helicopter with fuel, and a logistic team there and then get to work.  The first couple of subsequent airlift loads are pre-determined (an emergency hospital and food rations) with the following loads being determined by the onsite commander having been pre-packaged in a warehouse on pallettes for years if necessary.

I'm sorry, this stupid political party has to go.  Probably millions of people are homeless without clean drinking water and potential epidemic on the horizon and the Liberal spin machine turns the whole emergency into a photo opportunity for the emperor of the nitwits, Paul Martin.

Anyone who votes Liberal should be embarrassed....

Matthew.   >:(

You know, as bad as the Libs are, I find myself not being able to blame them when I start looking at what the UN is "doing".

And "SeaKing", during a disaster of this magnitude, ANY help would have been accepted immediately.  How long has the US carrier group been actively working in the area along with the Aussies?  How far behind are we lagging?

American stinginess is saving lives
By Mark Steyn
(Filed: 04/01/2005)

A week ago, people kept asking me for my opinion of the tsunami, and, to be honest, I didn't have one. It didn't seem the kind of thing to have an "opinion" on, even for an opinion columnist - not like who should win the election or whether we should have toppled Saddam. It was obviously a catastrophe, and it was certain the death toll would keep rising, and other than that there didn't seem a lot to opine about.

I've never subscribed to Macmillan's tediously over-venerated bit of political wisdom about "events, dear boy, events". Most "events" - even acts of God - come, to one degree or another, politically predetermined: almost exactly a year before the tsunamis, there were two earthquakes - one measuring 6.5 in California, one of 6.3 in Iran. The Californian quake killed two people and did little physical damage. The Iranian one killed 40,000 and reduced an entire city to rubble - not just the glories of ancient Persia, but all the schools and hospitals from the 1970s and 1980s. The event in itself wasn't devastating; the conditions on the ground made it so.

That said, a sudden unprecedented surge by the Indian Ocean is as near to a pure "event" as one can get, and it seemed churlish to huff afterwards about why the governments of Somalia or the Maldives hadn't made a tsunami warning system one of their budgetary priorities.

But the waters recede and the familiar contours of the political landscape re-emerge - in this case, the need to fit everything to the Great Universal Theory of the age, that whatever happens, the real issue is the rottenness of America. Jan Egeland, the Norwegian bureaucrat who's the big humanitarian honcho at the UN, got the ball rolling with some remarks about the "stinginess" of certain wealthy nations. And Clare Short piled in, and then Polly Toynbee threw in her three-ha'porth, reminding us that " 'Charity begins at home' is the mean-minded dictum of the Right". But even Telegraph readers subscribe to the Great Universal Theory. On our Letters Page, Robert Eddison dismissed the "paltry $15 million from Washington" as "worse than stingy. The offer - since shamefacedly upped to $35 million - equates to what? Three oil tycoons' combined annual salary?"

Mr Eddison concluded with a stirring plea to the wicked Americans to mend their ways: "If Washington is to lay any claim to the moral, as distinct from the military, high ground, let it emulate Ireland and Norway's prompt and proportionate attempts to plug South-East Asia's gaping gap of need and help avert a further 80,000 deaths from infection and untreated wounds."

If America were to emulate Ireland and Norway, there'd be a lot more dead Indonesians and Sri Lankans. Mr Eddison may not have noticed, but the actual relief effort going on right now is being done by the Yanks: it's the USAF and a couple of diverted naval groups shuttling in food and medicine, with solid help from the Aussies, Singapore and a couple of others. The Irish can't fly in relief supplies, because they don't have any C-130s. All they can do is wait for the UN to swing by and pick up their cheque.

The Americans send the UN the occasional postal order, too. In fact, 40 per cent of Egeland's budget comes from Washington, which suggests the Europeans aren't being quite as "proportionate" as Mr Eddison thinks. But, when disaster strikes, what matters is not whether your cheque is "prompt", but whether you are. For all the money lavished on them, the UN is hard to rouse to action. Egeland's full-time round-the-clock 24/7 Big Humanitarians are conspicuous by their all but total absence on the ground. In fact, they're doing exactly what our reader accused Washington of doing - Colin Powell, wrote Mr Eddison, "is like a surgeon saying he must do a bandage count before he will be in a position to staunch the blood flow of a haemorrhaging patient". That's the sclerotic UN bureaucracy. They've flown in (or nearby, or overhead) a couple of experts to assess the situation and they've issued press releases boasting about the assessments. In Sri Lanka, Egeland's staff informs us, "UNFPA is carrying out reproductive health assessments".

Which, translated out of UN-speak, means the Sri Lankans can go screw themselves.

One of the heartening aspects of the situation is how easy it is to make a difference. By the weekend, the Australians had managed not just to restore the water supply in Aceh, but to improve it. Even before the tsunami, most residents of the city boiled their water. But 10 army engineers from Darwin have managed to crack open the main lines and hook them up to a mobile filtration unit. This is nothing to do with Egeland and his office or how big a cheque the Norwegians sent.

Indeed, the effectiveness of these efforts seems to be what Miss Short finds so objectionable. Washington's announcement that it would be co-ordinating its disaster relief with Australia, India and Japan smacked too much of another "coalition of the willing". "I think this initiative from America to set up four countries claiming to co-ordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN," she told the BBC. "Only really the UN can do that job. It is the only body that has the moral authority."

I didn't catch the interview, but I'm assuming that the Oil-for-Fraud programme and the Child-Sex-for-Food programme notwithstanding, Miss Short managed to utter that last sentence with a straight face. But, if you're a homeless Sri Lankan, what matters is not who has the moral authority, but who has the water tankers and medical helicopters. President Bush didn't even bother mentioning the UN in his statement. Kofi Annan, by contrast, has decided that the Aussie-American "coalition of the willing" is, in fact, a UN operation. "The core group will support the UN effort," he said. "That group will be in support of the efforts that the UN is leading."

So American personnel in American planes and American ships will deliver American food and American medicine and implement an American relief plan, but it's still a "UN-led effort". That seems to be enough for Kofi. His "moral authority" is intact, and Guardian columnists and Telegraph readers can still bash the Yanks for their stinginess. Everybody's happy.

So please, don't talk about how important it is to do a recce before sending down our wee little team.  While you'd be right under other circumstances, fixing a disaster of this magnitude requires bodies and equipment.  Not tomorrow or a month from now, but as soon as frggin' possible.

Back