• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert Boots

Wow, those look like some highly modified Rifles. Neat Night Vision pics too, what range is that on?

Perhaps you want to know the range so you can sneak up on our sentries unawares?

:)

Whats NSCC CF_Lifer?

I got my desert boots second hand.  I'm not sure what brand they are but the soles are ro-search and are worn but still in very serviceable condition.  They still have traces of the "nubs" on the soles, and I wear them on a fairly regular basis over a decent variety of terrain (concrete, gravel, grass, sand, asphalt) and I occasionally jog/sprint in them when the dog decides he wants to run.

I've had these about three years; perhaps the ros-search soles are hard rubber the Wellco's or Altama's?

Ghost. NSCC Is The DCRA's (Dominion of Canada Rifle Association) Nation Service Conditions Competition. It entails Practical Pistol/Rifle and Service Pistol/Rifle, as well as Precision Rifle. Anyone can enter. Civilians, Reserves, Regs, Police. They also give the Queen's Cup to the top Reservist. They also hold Team Matches, like the Falling Plates for the Rifle, and Clay Birds for the Pistol.

I dont think you'd know the range  8)

NSCC - the civilian portion of what was CFSAC,  The DCRA is allowed to award the reserve/rcmp Queens Medal (for champion shot)

Probably not. Is it out in Edmonton? It looks like a CF Range. With the Numbered lane boards.

Not Edmonton  ;D

*hint some pics are not inside of Canada...

Hey everyone

Although, i am an Airforce Officer, hopefully i won't be shuned to much  :).  I had a question that maybe some vets/reg or res pers. might be able to answer for me.  Does anyone know if the Canadian issued desert boots are the same as the American ones ? i would like to pick up a pair but gotta stick by the dress regs!  any info would help.

Thanks
PV

I've never seen american ones in person, but from what I've seen on them from TV an in pictures they look exactly the same.

I have 2 pair of 'em sourced thru CF sources, and one pair I got thru US sorces, and they are both identical, even with the same numbers on the inside.

The CF issue  ones are off the shelf purchases of generic US boots.

I do believe that the US company Altama makes them, with the Panama sole, and marked Ro-Search on the bottom. If you want a cheap pair, go to ebay and do a search for 'desert boots'. You can land a cheaper pair that way.

Cheers,

Wes

PS - there is 2 types, in short the my CF and US sourced ones have padding near the top, and leather support on the sides. Altama also another type. Its shorter and without the padding along the top, and nylon instead of leather supporters on the sides. These cheaper boots are identical to the old US green type boots less the OD canvas, spike protective, vent holes, leather instead suede, and of course colour black instead of tan.

This different version has the same Ro-Search   and Panama sole, and are also genuine, but just slightly different.

just so you can know sir.
they do still have them in the inventory, however they are phasing them out for a company in Quebec called boulet. they're basically a desert version of the cold wet weather gore tex boot. at least that's what's happening in CFB Petawawa, don't know about the other bases.
personally I love these things so much more then the old altama ones. I was always fearing of a rolled/broken ankle wearing them.
Greg

What's the sizing like for the desert boots? Same as the combat boot?

US sizes for desert boots are as fol:

Sizes 7-12 (including half sizes) that I know of (other smaller and larger ones might be a special order): and

N for narrow
R for regular
W for wide; and
XW for extra wide

Sized as then for example, 9W.

Hope this helps ya out.

wes

I don't mean to be facaecious sir, but I'd like to know what kind of crazy dress regs they follow in the air force. So you're allowed to wear issued DBs, but you haven't been issued them? I presume this is in garrision. If its the field, and you're allowed personally purchased DBs, would their country of origin really matter? and what does "the field" mean? Like walking across the tarmac?

Wesley H. Allen said:
Hope this helps ya out.

Not really, but I appreciate the effort.

I was wondering about the fitting... such as my Civvie shoe size is 9 1/2, but in combat boots, I take an 8F.

I am a CIC Officer in the RCAF and thus issued items only as required.  Since i am neither reg force or combat trained or even seen operational areas such as A-stan, i can't expect a comfy pair of desert boots to show up in my stocking anytime soon.  Stuff like that is called "snivel kit" not required but desired. 
As for us Airforce types never being stationed in the field, if you check DND's site i am sure will you find many Airforce occupations that will prove you wrong, forward air controllers, UAV operators, SAR techs to name a few.

thanks to all for the info, very helpful.  I am glad i found this site.

cheers

PV

Just a note... in 1968, the RCAF ceased to exist after unification. It is now known as the Canadian Air Force and not the RCAF.

Just a word on snivel kit.........

You don't have to be miserable and uncomfortable in the field to be 'hard'........Someone harder than I'll ever be, who's serving privately in Iraq at the moment taught me that.........

Until you've walked the walk in the shoes of those you seek to discredit (not aimed at anyone in particular), it might be more prudent to listen/read, rather than spout...........

Back