• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert Boots

It's all about the boot chit.  I apparently have less than no arches and the issued boots were giving me stress fractures like crazy.  Switched to Danners... Smooth sailing.  I got a pair of desert Danners and i freaking love them.  A little heavy... a little sweaty... but they are tough as hell and you feel like you are wearing weapons on our feet.  I just got a pair of Desert Converse boots... I have yet to put them to the test... but friends who have the black converse boots have been watching them fall apart... so i'm not real enthused.  But in closing... with the amount of time you spend on your feet, I'd highly suggest dropkicking your issued boots into the nearest woodchipper and purchasing a quality pair of boots.  They literally make every minute of every day better.  I know lots of guys who say they don't mind the issued boots...  well for something as essential as boots... i'd rather love them than be able to tolerate them.  To this day, my boots are the best piece of pseudo issued kit i own and definitely the best kit purchases i've made.

DV

I LOVED my desert Converse and had ZERO issues with them falling apart in fact I know guys on who did their 2nd tour with them and not had a singel issue with them falling apart. I can honestly say I have no idea about the black ones. I have a chit for them but I have recently found a place to get 5.11 boots and I have to say I am very impressed with them as well.

I jjust bought a pait of USMC bates lightweight boots for the 1-08 tour, will see how they hold up

I'd say that they are better than the waffle sole issued ones :threat:

FWIW, I had the Original SWAT boots and utterly destroyed them in less than 6 months (soles separating, tread breaking down...) but keep in mind that I'm 6'3" and "around" the 250 pound mark.  I've wrecked MkIII's (which also wrecked me) and Altama Desert boots as well as a couple of other brands.

I have a pair of Danner Desert Acadia's that I've had for about a year now and they are by far the best boots that I've ever worn.  In fairness, I also have a pair of 2121 Acadias in black that are on their 2nd sole (which is what led me to buy the desert version), and I have yet to destroy my issue WWB.  I am currently in the process of breaking in a pair of the new issue Boulet boot (Combat Boot GP?? - I can't keep track...) and it feels pretty good after a couple of 10 km hikes over trails (no pavement) with about 25 pounds in an assault pack.

Vern nailed it - nothing out there is going to be a 100% solution...

blake

Just received my new USMC Bates lightweight boots, They are already superior to the new Canadian Issue boots for overseas use.

So far they are comfortable and light weight in comparison. :skull:

I wore the issued Altama boots after a failed attempt to get a chit for at least Vibram desert boots. This lasted about 2 weeks in Garrison, and after the break in time, my feet still ached. Went and bought 2 pairs of Original Swats, and they feel like slippers. Tried out the Altama's in theatre for a day, just to make sure it wasn't just them not being built for Canadian climate, and I could barely walk from the weatherhavens to the Canadian NCE compound (10 minutes). Back on the shelf they went.

I just don't understand how the Army thinks they can have everyone fit one type of boot, with the huge amount of foot sizes and shapes out there. I totally understand the uniformity aspect, but the money used to test/purchase all these different boots could just as easily be put into a pool and give soldiers a boot allowance. I'm pretty sure its a 50/50 split now with issued/non issue boots.

Maybe Vern can help me out with this question. Do you know the issuing policy for the Vibram soled desert boots? I requested them at my initial kitting for Arid gear (Kingston), and they said unless I have a chit on file, I won't get them. However, a few of the guys I deployed with that got kitted out from Ottawa all ended up with the Vibrams...

SuperSlug said:
Maybe Vern can help me out with this question. Do you know the issuing policy for the Vibram soled desert boots? I requested them at my initial kitting for Arid gear (Kingston), and they said unless I have a chit on file, I won't get them. However, a few of the guys I deployed with that got kitted out from Ottawa all ended up with the Vibrams...

Right now there are some sizes which are restricted to personnel who will be conducting overseas dismounted ops & patrols.

There are some shortages in critical common sizes, so the restriction is on to ensure the boys & gals who'll be doing the deed have priority for them.

There are also some sizes where the only stock left in the system is the ones with the vibram sole. So, either you wear one of the restricted sizes ... or Ottawa only had desert boots with vibram soles in your buds' sizes.

If you have a chit for vibram soles as a medical requirement ... you'll get them too.

(Now, please boys & girls ... -- because it's always the case -- DO NOT run over to your nearest physio/MIR to get a chit if you DO NOT really need vibram soles, but just want them -- because then your only screwing the troops who do need them first, I'd appreciate it, and I'm quite sure most of them would too.)

Infanteer said:
Advantages and disadvantages of boots vs a "hiker"/shoe maybe something worth looking at in an Army where the boot is considered part of the service culture....

It would be harder to blouse a 4-6" hiker then a 8" boot, and you know you have to have your boots bloused at all times  ::).

I know it would more likely be better in the field; but the people making the decisions are more worried about uniformity not functionality  ::).

I think boots can have their place - especially when carrying heavy loads over uneven terrain.  However that 'skill' is quickly becoming unneeded, with aerial ressuply and short mission timelines (realistic understandings of what capacity the soldier can function over), and more focus on urban operations.

A lot of SOF units are wearing shoe type footwear to excellent effect, and when you need to run down an insurgent in a foot chase - a large cloddhopper boot is doing you no favors.

In the last three years I have worn a variety of footwear and while I'm not rucking anywhere - and as of last week, other than some shooting courses I ride a desk - I have been all jocked up in gear, and the shoe has treated me best.

popnfresh said:
Never mess with the guys wearing the hiking shoes and north face jackets lol.

Oakley's and goatees too...

BKR.jpg

Infidel-6 said:
I think boots can have their place - especially when carrying heavy loads over uneven terrain.  However that 'skill' is quickly becoming unneeded, with aerial ressuply and short mission timelines (realistic understandings of what capacity the soldier can function over), and more focus on urban operations.

A lot of SOF units are wearing shoe type footwear to excellent effect, and when you need to run down an insurgent in a foot chase - a large cloddhopper boot is doing you no favors.

In the last three years I have worn a variety of footwear and while I'm not rucking anywhere - and as of last week, other than some shooting courses I ride a desk - I have been all jocked up in gear, and the shoe has treated me best.

What type of footwear have you found to handle the workload best and which ones would you steer away from???

Has anyone tried the Oakley combat boots? They appear to be shoe-like in their design, not sure if they are actually any good or just more gucci kit...

Link below for reference:
http://oakley.ca/pd/4299/14014

I've worn the Oakley Assault Boot, Assault Shoe, Oakley Flak Low (shoe, now discontinued), Oakley  Salomon Expert Mid (now discontinued) Danner Aggitator (now discontinued) Merrell MOAB's - other guys have had great reports with the Merrell Sawtooth's - both of them are still in production.

I am not the biggest fan of the Oakley boot - the sole was too firm for what I wanted, and hated the Assault shoe (due to color - black - I was in Iraq, and two the sole sucked too) 
  I have two other sets of Oakley shoes that are discontinued and I enjoed them as well.

Thanks for the feedback I-6.... always good to get up to date reviews on useful kit that actually works....

Stay Safe

Back