• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Eye In The Sky said:
If only they would have supplied that somewhere convenient...like the back of the pad you used in the field for messages!  :blotto:

Oh, I miss the days when the runner (usually the Tp Ldr's dvr) would go from callsign to callsign in the hide, with a copy of the Warning Order...which you would read, copy the important parts into your FMP and then initial that you'd read it.  Back in the day when, people actually talked to each other and stuff...
To sound truly old & crochety, however did the British/French/Belgian empires ever maintain their rule without email?

Or consider the lot of poor Captain Cook, without benefit of supervisory assistance for three whole years!  Truly tragic.

And they forced him to do it two more times. 

Chris Pook said:
Or consider the lot of poor Captain Cook, without benefit of supervisory assistance for three whole years!  Truly tragic.

And they forced him to do it two more times.
With nary a Powerpoint briefing to be seen.

Sadly, these days, we're closer to the famously mangled Winston Churchill's quote.... Never has so little been done by so many for so few [Xp

Eye In The Sky said:
If only they would have supplied that somewhere convenient...like the back of the pad you used in the field for messages!  :blotto:

Oh, I miss the days when the runner (usually the Tp Ldr's dvr) would go from callsign to callsign in the hide, with a copy of the Warning Order...which you would read, copy the important parts into your FMP and then initial that you'd read it.  Back in the day when, people actually talked to each other and stuff...

Tp Ldr's dvr?! He should stay with the veh. Take the GIB, take the GIB! (or Golf's gnr  [Xp)

The pads still have carbon at the back...but it's not easy prying those from the hands of an RQ, they're expensive...

blackberet17 said:
Tp Ldr's dvr?! He should stay with the veh. Take the GIB, take the GIB! (or Golf's gnr  [Xp)

The pads still have carbon at the back...but it's not easy prying those from the hands of an RQ, they're expensive...

Given the reserves access to functioning radios, carbon paper and runners would probably be a step up

milnews.ca said:
To sound truly old & crochety, however did the British/French/Belgian empires ever maintain their rule without email?

An unshakable faith in themselves, God and Country. In that order usually.

We Were Caesars, There Being No One to Contradict Us’

http://frontierpartisans.com/1369/we-were-caesars-there-being-no-one-to-contradict-us/

MilEME09 said:
Given the reserves access to functioning radios, carbon paper and runners would probably be a step up

Touché, my friend...touché.

We're down to two man packs...we started using Kenwoods the last ex...

blackberet17 said:
Touché, my friend...touché.

We're down to two man packs...we started using Kenwoods the last ex...

we've been using them for years since we've only had two radios, usually one in the CP the other in the wreaker, sometimes we get luck and other units loan us one or two. It's incredibly frustrating trying to do a tactical road move using kenwoods having to play telephone vehicle to vehicle for the convoy.

MilEME09 said:
we've been using them for years since we've only had two radios, usually one in the CP the other in the wreaker, sometimes we get luck and other units loan us one or two. It's incredibly frustrating trying to do a tactical road move using kenwoods having to play telephone vehicle to vehicle for the convoy.

Yep.

We can manage on some road moves and short bounds with hand signals or head/brake lights...but we have left a GIB or two on the side of the road once or twice...

Another issue is OP's...a little difficult to report back when radios and field phones aren't available, and the cell phones die...

blackberet17 said:
Yep.

We can manage on some road moves and short bounds with hand signals or head/brake lights...but we have left a GIB or two on the side of the road once or twice...

Another issue is OP's...a little difficult to report back when radios and field phones aren't available, and the cell phones die...

Ah yes cell phones, PRes comms, I think i'll be making the carbon paper/runner recommendation to my chain, I found it sad on a EX I was on sentry and due to a small hill I couldn't communicate to the CP anyone else from my OP unless they were 50m away with a kenwood. Given our lack of working radios, the reserves really should invest in alternate comms, heck i've suggested using funds to buy better PRR's and a signal amp to hopefully create comms.

MilEME09 said:
Ah yes cell phones, PRes comms, I think i'll be making the carbon paper/runner recommendation to my chain, I found it sad on a EX I was on sentry and due to a small hill I couldn't communicate to the CP anyone else from my OP unless they were 50m away with a kenwood. Given our lack of working radios, the reserves really should invest in alternate comms, heck i've suggested using funds to buy better PRR's and a signal amp to hopefully create comms.

Or just dumb down training so that you only are able to achieve the standards seen in any paintball game.

daftandbarmy said:
Or just dumb down training so that you only are able to achieve the standards seen in any paintball game.

As high as that? Isn't that awefuly optimistic?

blackberet17 said:

No good A c/s is going to let the Troopie have a JAFO when the ptl's are short...which they always are!  :blotto:

blackberet17 said:
Yep.

This should be an indicator of the exact role the GoC believes the Pres should have. 

No comms?  No orders?  No way to communicate?  Best thing to do...same as always...brew up and have a dart!

Seriously, if that is the state of affairs now, I honestly can't see how the unit (s) are retaining anyone.  If I was still doing that stuff, I dare say I'd find better things to do with my weekend than go on a Ex with no comms.  Whats the point?

Additionally, it seems to put an exclamation mark on this post I made earlier in the thread.  I'd bet a box of donut holes the PEIR also doesn't have the veh's (runners, not counting VORs) to man and equip a scaled down Troop if the SHTF.  We know the answer to that comm's side of the house already.

The PRES is in a shambles worse than it ever was.  Individually there are good troops, NCOs, WOs, Officer to be found.  But if a recce troop can't even communicate internally...boy things are rough.

The PRES had to become part of the solution for its own problems.  Amalgamate units and CBH HQs.  Maximize trg opportunities, share resources that are scarce.  I've said it before; there is ZERO requirement for 2 complete CBGs and HQs in 5 Div.  (Its not a Div...fuck me, but that's another a topic).  How much $ is being pissed away in Cl B/A wages?  Lots.  PEIR/8CH/Hfx Rifles together couldn't form a skeleton Regiment.  Amalgamate into one "Regiment", keep your cap badges.  3 Sqns with different cap badges form the "5 CBG Armour Regt" or whatever.  Stop wasting money flying your Bde SM from province to province.  If it were up to me, I'd likely have the Bde SM a Reg Force CWO;  I know what little actual experience your current Bde SM has and have seen those types before during my time at a CBG HQ.  I also know 1 CWO at the HQ that has metric shit-tons of experience, Reg and Res, who SHOULD be the Bde SM.  The CBG HQ is a self licking lollipop in my experience.  I get it, people want to keep their jammy jobs.  Hard choices have to be made if the PRES is going to be anything more combat effective than the Cadet units in the same area.  It would piss off a lot of Career Cl B Commandos, and PRES MWOs/CWOs and Snr Officers who've been holding out for their turn in the wheelhouse;  it will also trim some of the fat, the most expensive fat at that. 

If the change doesn't come internally, then the big pants folks in Ottawa need to direct it. 

Otherwise, PRES cbt arms unit will be so far out of relevance and usefulness, they might as well just fold altogether and turn their PYs and $ into more Reg Force positions that can be used.

Kenwoods and personal cell phones.  Fuck me senseless.

The succession planning is lacking in my reserve world. And by lacking, I mean non existent. What usually happens is that we get a "reserve" CSM, who inreality was a Reg F WO who released into the the PRes. (we've had 3-4 now). The problems are two folds: it makes my glass ceiling real low and even a good RegF WO has a hard time coming to terms with some of the PRes intricacies. This is not insurmountable, but it makes it hard to reach through to the chain when the final stop doesn't really understand where his troops are coming from. (Our problem is compounded as we are part of a RegF Regt.) Then as a motivated individual who has been trying to get varied experiences, chances are I still won't get a shot at CSM. A good friend has been a WO for 20+ years (currently working outside the unit) and he likely will never get promoted higher. Thankfully for me, my motivation is not rank/position based. But at some point you need new challenges.

Eye In The Sky said:
Seriously, if that is the state of affairs now, I honestly can't see how the unit (s) are retaining anyone.  If I was still doing that stuff, I dare say I'd find better things to do with my weekend than go on a Ex with no comms.  Whats the point?

Because: why we fight.. and some other stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcJtU9dr6I

So don't get in our way, 'k?

daftandbarmy said:
Because: why we fight.. and some other stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcJtU9dr6I

"We are told that the American soldier does not know what he is fighting for. Now, at least, he will know what he is fighting against.”

General Eisenhower

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd bet a box of donut holes the PEIR also doesn't have the veh's (runners, not counting VORs) to man and equip a scaled down Troop if the SHTF.  We know the answer to that comm's side of the house already.

It would help if we ever saw our vehs again after a summer in Gagetown and Aldershot...but we've also discussed that point ad nauseum.

Eye In The Sky said:
PEIR/8CH/Hfx Rifles together couldn't form a skeleton Regiment.  Amalgamate into one "Regiment", keep your cap badges.  3 Sqns with different cap badges form the "5 CBG Armour Regt" or whatever.

We train together two-three times a year as it is. But it doesn't solve the issues of lack of vehs, radios, etc.

Eye In The Sky said:
Stop wasting money flying your Bde SM from province to province.

Whoops.

MilEME09 said:

There is a solution, likely will have to buy your own wire
ta_312.jpg

.....and the RQ would go out and buy single-strand, being too young to know better.    ;)

Back