• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Back on topic

An oldie but goodie

I have intentionally left the gunners out of this. I figure they should be tucked up nice and tight with the Ref Force regiments

This is all the Territorial Groups / Brigades

Each one has a Sigs Sqn, a Svc Bn and and Eng Rgt.

They also have, usually, two Cavalry elements. As well they have an indeterminate number of Infantry elements.

The interesting part for me is the second line. That is the size of the recruiting area in millions of Canadians. The distribution does not appear to be particularly rational. If TBGs are organized like 36 TBG then the Toronto Area should be able to raise 9 and Alberta 4. Either that or if 36 TBG is the model then 36 TBG should be reduced to a company team.

Militia Districts.png

I just finished watching the late Queen's funeral. The procession up the Mall from Westminster Abbey and Horseguards to Buckhingham Palace was very impressive. There was a bit of pride in seeing the RCMP being the lead element in the parade and the only horsed element other than the Lifeguards and the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry. The Australians looked good in their slouch hats. The Kiwis were identifiable in their lemon squeezers with their red bands. I was told that there would be a strong Canadian representation in the parade. I looked hard for them in the Commonwealth section at the head of the parade, along with the Mounties, the Aussies and the Kiwis .... but all I could see was a motley crew in fancy dress.

I just finished watching the late Queen's funeral. The procession up the Mall from Westminster Abbey and Horseguards to Buckhingham Palace was very impressive. There was a bit of pride in seeing the RCMP being the lead element in the parade and the only horsed element other than the Lifeguards and the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry. The Australians looked good in their slouch hats. The Kiwis were identifiable in their lemon squeezers with their red bands. I was told that there would be a strong Canadian representation in the parade. I looked hard for them in the Commonwealth section at the head of the parade, along with the Mounties, the Aussies and the Kiwis .... but all I could see was a motley crew in fancy dress.
8E653362-C143-4F1C-BF95-5598604A3C2F.jpeg

What is the point you want to make?
DE5D0080-2EF2-4403-AA31-5CBB4230F2C5.jpeg

Something to do with regimental parochialism. I used to wear a kilt and Glengarry. Everybody in rifle green and a beret would start solving a bunch of problems.
Nothing wrong with the different uniforms, while some may say it's a soup sandwich, it also shows the diversity of heritage in the Regiments of the commonwealth

Nothing wrong with the different uniforms, while some may say it's a soup sandwich, it also shows the diversity of heritage in the Regiments of the commonwealth
That contingent was also filled with units that Her Majesty had links to. They looked good and did Canada proud.

Good for them. An experience those CAF members won’t soon forget.

Something to do with regimental parochialism. I used to wear a kilt and Glengarry. Everybody in rifle green and a beret would start solving a bunch of problems.
And you are making the point in this thread because … ?
A lot of the funny uniforms in there are Reg F. The Gunners all wore a unique uniform that they picked a few years back, and many of those red coats are R22eR. Most of the highlanders were still at least in the distinct Canadian green.

And you are making the point in this thread because … ?
A lot of the funny uniforms in there are Reg F. The Gunners all wore a unique uniform that they picked a few years back, and many of those red coats are R22eR. Most of the highlanders were still at least in the distinct Canadian green.
Only Shame here is that there is no reg force highland regiment

Uh oh, now you've gone and done it ;)

battle GIF

And who is to blame for that? They also binned a rifle regiment with historical roots and a guards regiment with none. I never really could understand why the RegF decided to contract into three multi-battalion regiments rather than go with six or more single battalion ones. Was there a sale on in Pakistan on only certain cap badges and accoutrements?

:unsure:

What possible problem would it solve ? I’m at a loss here. You’d be surprised to know that the Kiwis have dress distinctions within their army; the QAMR were quite proud to tell me they were the only regiment allowed into wear their “jungle hat” in garrison.

I’ll add.

The whole point of that Contingent was to highlight the Commonwealth Units that the Queen had a special relationship with. The Canadian portion certainly did that all the units they sent in their unit dress. The Kiwis and the Aussies look great but they all look the same and could essentially be from the same unit for all we know. Only their environmental dress differentiated them.

If there was a parade where mixed dress was appropriate this was it.

I don't like the 'coat of many colours' look. I like both the historic regimental identities (and especially the kilts and the scarlets) and the idea of highlighting the Commonwealth units with whom the Queen had a special relationship. Why not parade in rows by environment and by regiment (or at least by similar uniform)? I know this would be a mess for the Sr NCOs to organize but then at least then you could identify the various regiments...

I think Kirkhill’s point was that while the Kiwis and Aussies were all in their equivalent to DEU, we were a mix of DEU, patrols, and full ceremonial, so we kinda looked like a dog’s breakfast. Not to say you need to erase regimental diversity with DEU. If you look closely, the Kiwis have different headwear depending on their branch/regiment. It was like national command in Australia and New Zealand decided how their representatives would dress, but in Canada, that decision seemed to have been made by each unit CO.

Having said all that, I don’t think it was terrible, or bad. It just looked uncoordinated. :)

I think Kirkhill’s point was that while the Kiwis and Aussies were all in their equivalent to DEU, we were a mix of DEU, patrols, and full ceremonial, so we kinda looked like a dog’s breakfast. Not to say you need to erase regimental diversity with DEU. If you look closely, the Kiwis have different headwear depending on their branch/regiment. It was like national command in Australia and New Zealand decided how their representatives would dress, but in Canada, that decision seemed to have been made by each unit CO.

Having said all that, I don’t think it was terrible, or bad. It just looked uncoordinated. :)
If the Queen had passed between 68 and 88, we would have looked consistently….green. Alas, ‘‘twas not to be.

My guess and it is only a guess is that the tasking likely indicated Ceremonial Dress? And likely the Brits organised how they would be arrayed on parade based on their protocols. Looks like maybe units in precedence by rank? Officers definitely at the front followed by SNCOs and and then other ranks.

Back