• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

• Thread starter Thread starter Yard Ape
  • Start date Start date
In my day it was a Clerk and Storesman, supported by 3 RSS staff, Captain, Warrant and M/BDR. When Ops tasked I think we added a vehicle tech, another clerk and for awhile a transport NCO to manage vehicles.
We had 5 RSS and 3 Class B then. Multiply that by several units.

But, it's the formation headquarters that have expanded.

🍻

DRC 3 was supposed to be located in Vernon, at the Cadet Camp, as I recall...

Just sayin' ;)
Cadet camps are grossly under used but also falling apart. Many would also be great for the ARes if some funding was allocated to renovations. The Rocky Mountain cafeteria camp for example would be great for weekend exercises for calgary units during the training year if the facility was winterized and HVAC upgraded to modern standards. Road improvements would also be needed.

Cadet camps are grossly under used but also falling apart. Many would also be great for the ARes if some funding was allocated to renovations. The Rocky Mountain cafeteria camp for example would be great for weekend exercises for calgary units during the training year if the facility was winterized and HVAC upgraded to modern standards. Road improvements would also be needed.

There is a co located ASU in Vernon, but it should probably be larger. Where I king 39 Bde would be structured around three hubs: Chilliwack, Vernon, and Victoria. Each hub would house some kind of barracks structure and enough stores for a company plus, and sub sub units of CS / CSS, to train at a time.

Not having reserve and cadet logistical and infrastructure handled in a single structure is ridiculous. So much of the use-case is identical, and far too much of the infrastructure goes unused because it's on the other's list.

Connaught ranges cadet camp would be an ideal area for local courses as well. It happens from time to time but the cadets have overall control

Not having reserve and cadet logistical and infrastructure handled in a single structure is ridiculous. So much of the use-case is identical, and far too much of the infrastructure goes unused because it's on the other's list.

I made the mistake of poking my nose into that idea once and out of it sprouted this wonderfully awful reaction connected to 'how badly' the Cadet system is treated by the rest of the CAF.

We have our own internal Balkans, it would seem ;)

Connaught ranges cadet camp would be an ideal area for local courses as well. It happens from time to time but the cadets have overall control
Which is funny because the person who controls the cadets in Ottawa is the chief of the reserves as well, funny how red tape works.

Which is funny because the person who controls the cadets in Ottawa is the chief of the reserves as well, funny how red tape works.
The previous structure had the Regional Cadet Support Units under the "local" commander (MARPAC in the case of Pacific). Don't think the much more siloed Formation structure does anyone any favours.

Honestly, my "if I could snap my fingers" would see as much of the CCO structure broken up as possible: keep a tiny policy, budget, and common training office under DGRC, and splinter the rest into cells in whatever "rest of the CAF" entities would make most sense (elemental HQs and Training Development, e.g.).

A little update on 3 Div's purchase of side by sides to augment the critical VOR at ARes Armoured units - they're kinda useless. Someone who procured them has the bright idea of buying cheap tyres with no standing mechanism to replace them efficiently - they're getting shredded by deadfall when they leave black tracks. Further - they're limited to 40km/h or less if carrying 1000lbs +...so between kit, ammo and bodies, they'll probably be able to carry two dudes or three dudes if they have no supplies. I respect they tried to do something to help, but they sure missed by going with Ranger 1000s with dump boxes.

Edit: Forgot to add they can't be altered in any way, minus wrapping them. Can't even paint the stark white hood. Warranty...

Last edited:
Separating Cadets and Reservists is generally a very wise thing.
Yes it can be more costly - but, at the end of the day so are alcohol related incidents with minors...
*Yes some reservists are still minors I know.

Separating Cadets and Reservists is generally a very wise thing.
Yes it can be more costly - but, at the end of the day so are alcohol related incidents with minors...
*Yes some reservists are still minors I know.
Good idea in theory but in reality cadets should be separate because they suck up a lot of valuable space in our armouries. There's nothing at an armoury that wouldn't be better at a community centre for these kids. Keep their airguns in the closest local vault if need be but they'd be better served out a local school or something along those lines. That said, I guess there is the aesthetic benefit of them being in military facilities that could help with recruiting down the line in their lives.

Good idea in theory but in reality cadets should be separate because they suck up a lot of valuable space in our armouries. There's nothing at an armoury that wouldn't be better at a community centre for these kids. Keep their airguns in the closest local vault if need be but they'd be better served out a local school or something along those lines. That said, I guess there is the aesthetic benefit of them being in military facilities that could help with recruiting down the line in their lives.
I'm generally okay with Cadets using local armories - but any camps or other overnight facilities well I think that is just a train wreck awaiting to happen.

I'm generally okay with Cadets using local armories - but any camps or other overnight facilities well I think that is just a train wreck awaiting to happen.
When I was a young Trooper on tasking in Gagetown we'd stay in D25 - right up the road from the Argonaut Cadet Camp. It was extremely common for the new cadet 2Lts to walk up the hill and...get busy with the boys in the shacks. I shudder to think any of them were lying when they said they were cadet officers.

When I was a young Trooper on tasking in Gagetown we'd stay in D25 - right up the road from the Argonaut Cadet Camp. It was extremely common for the new cadet 2Lts to walk up the hill and...get busy with the boys in the shacks. I shudder to think any of them were lying when they said they were cadet officers.
I've been a Duty NCO in shacks that have held cadets, reservists and Reg Force - and found out that a number of 14 year old cadets look older, and only when having their CoC retrieve them learned their ages - and I suspect that looking at the looks of who's room they had been removed from, that their 'host' hadn't suspected they where under 18. Which then led to the MP's and...

Most armouries could free up space by consolidating messes or by abandoning heritage buildings unfit for purpose... But it seems sometimes that the Regimental silver is a higher priority...
Instead of taking a shot at reservists you could ask and almost all of us would say our armouries are desperately out of date. Most of us have been asking for facilities from this century for years and years but Ottawa doesn't give a shit about us. None of us want 28° classrooms in the summer since there's no AC, none of us want asbestos or lead contamination, etc etc. The real enemy here is the government who doesn't care about the CAF and the reservists employed within it, not the reservists leashed with a 125 year building that's 40 years behind on maintenance.

Instead of taking a shot at reservists you could ask and almost all of us would say our armouries are desperately out of date. Most of us have been asking for facilities from this century for years and years but Ottawa doesn't give a shit about us. None of us want 28° classrooms in the summer since there's no AC, none of us want asbestos or lead contamination, etc etc. The real enemy here is the government who doesn't care about the CAF and the reservists employed within it, not the reservists leashed with a 125 year building.

Um... @dapaterson was a reservist so knows what he's talking about.

I tend to agree with him. In my old armoury we had one (poorly appointed) room assigned to training, but 6 assigned to drinking (a.k.a. various messes).... 7 if you include the Pipe Band's room.

This is probably not the right ratio of 'training to drinking' space if your aim is to steel troops for modern conflicts, whether or not the building is old.

Um... @dapaterson was a reservist so knows what he's talking about.

I tend to agree with him. In my old armoury we had one (poorly appointed) room assigned to training, but 6 assigned to drinking (a.k.a. various messes).

This is probably not the right priority if your aim is to train troops for modern conflicts, whether or not the building is old.

Key word in this case is probably "was".

The glorified social club view of most units have been dead since the buddies of reservists were dying in Afghanistan. Sure elements of it remain but to imply most reservists are more interested in the silver and bars is somewhat disrespectful. We want to do the job but time and time again the military prevents us from doing so in some way, shape or form. Maybe I just have an overly rosy view of my fellow reservists from 3 Div.

I haven't been in an armoury where this was the case in 10 years. Perhaps there are examples still out there where this is the case but most armouries that ratio would be flipped. Two to three rooms dedicated to messes are the usual max in armouries. There's only so much you can do with a room anyways that wasn't designed with modern IT and classrooms in mind. I think back to the "hangar" we had years ago at our armoury, problem was a GWagon couldn't fit in some of the doors, they were too low. What is a reservist supposed to do with that?

Back