• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

From 2003-08 I tracked Army Reserve attendance. No unit was at or about 200 people parading regularly, and the only three with a company (150) or more regularly parading were 51 and 55 Svc Bns, and Les Voltigeurs de Quebec.

Lots of units made significantly greater claims that were unsupported facts. And many had dozens of soldiers they claimed to be "effective" who had not paraded in over a year.

Reserve units are notorious for bullshitting themselves about their current strength, and about their pasts.
I see plenty of times the rules get bent so "good" troops do not go NES. It's a lot better then it used to be, 13 years ago, I'd be lucky to see a section on exercise, and maybe Two sections on a Wednesday night. Now I get 30-60 on a Wednesday and 20-30 on an EX if lucky. Most of these troops are untrained, especially in the CSS world we lack a Cadre of experienced cpls.

I see plenty of times the rules get bent so "good" troops do not go NES. It's a lot better then it used to be, 13 years ago, I'd be lucky to see a section on exercise, and maybe Two sections on a Wednesday night. Now I get 30-60 on a Wednesday and 20-30 on an EX if lucky. Most of these troops are untrained, especially in the CSS world we lack a Cadre of experienced cpls.

And how were you recognized, or otherwise rewarded and thanked, for the leadership skills/ miracles required to raise parade strengths from almost nil to a respectable number?

Let me save you the trouble of answering ;)

absolutely fucking not no way GIF

And how were you recognized, or otherwise rewarded and thanked, for the leadership skills/ miracles required to raise parade strengths from almost nil to a respectable number?

Let me save you the trouble of answering ;)

absolutely fucking not no way GIF
Does the cake count on the battalion birthday? Of course not, in summer 2020 I was on the OP laser class C, and I had to come in on my leave to sort things out because of poor planning. Why? Because the chain said we didn't need yo conform our weapons tech tool boxes were good to go for a potential Dom op. I gave my opinion otherwise, then we got flipped to running a reserve battle school and needed weapons tool boxes. I told you so doesn't exactly say it all

What did I get for it all to make a maintenance cell work with 3 techs supporting 14 courses? A commendation and a ask to do it again the following year......

In 1990 I was on ED&T for 5 months (Jan to May) going to school in England. I was extremely surprised to find out from a phone call with my parents that a letter had arrived telling me I was loaded on a CLC course 3 weeks before I returned to Canada and 4 weeks before my ED&T ended.
When I arrived home, I was even more surprised to find out that the RCR BSL seemed to think I was awol from the course…

30th FD seemed to have forgotten I was gone, and was equally as surprised as the RCR BSL that I hadn’t shown up - which back in the time of paper claims and route letters, I found odd that no one had realized I hadn’t got one and even more odd they no one seemed to notice I was gone for 4months by then.
I realized later that my FOO had never replaced me as his Tech, after he (plus the BC and CO) had signed my ED&T, and he and a signaler had been doing the FOO Party with the two of them and no one else in the Battery seemed to realize I was gone.

It was even funnier in September when the BSM was sure I’d been promoted after my CLC…

In 1990 I was on ED&T for 5 months (Jan to May) going to school in England. I was extremely surprised to find out from a phone call with my parents that a letter had arrived telling me I was loaded on a CLC course 3 weeks before I returned to Canada and 4 weeks before my ED&T ended.
When I arrived home, I was even more surprised to find out that the RCR BSL seemed to think I was awol from the course…

30th FD seemed to have forgotten I was gone, and was equally as surprised as the RCR BSL that I hadn’t shown up - which back in the time of paper claims and route letters, I found odd that no one had realized I hadn’t got one and even more odd they no one seemed to notice I was gone for 4months by then.
I realized later that my FOO had never replaced me as his Tech, after he (plus the BC and CO) had signed my ED&T, and he and a signaler had been doing the FOO Party with the two of them and no one else in the Battery seemed to realize I was gone.

It was even funnier in September when the BSM was sure I’d been promoted after my CLC…
I had a phone call three months after I’d arrived at 1 VP post my CT from my old wondering why I hadn’t shown up for a tasking they’d decided to send me on.

I had a phone call three months after I’d arrived at 1 VP post my CT from my old wondering why I hadn’t shown up for a tasking they’d decided to send me on.
My CT took me from teaching on an ISCC at the RCR BSL as a Jack, to attending the PPCLI BSL as a candidate on basic infantry BSL— nothing surprises me ;)

My CT took me from teaching on an ISCC at the RCR BSL as a Jack, to attending the PPCLI BSL as a candidate on basic infantry BSL— nothing surprises me ;)
We had a guy they wouldn't give a leaf to because the army had no record of him completing basic, 26 years in, two tours, and PLQ done, but hold on we can't find a file he completed basic back on the 90s so we can't promote him every one :rolleyes:

I find we get three Types of RSS, A) the ones looking for their retirement posting, B) burnt out people who need a break from a field unit, or C) The problem bring cast off to someone else. Majority are the first two, but every once and awhile you get a C
Have to speak up in fairness. For about my first decade in, by example I assumed all Reg F NCOs were some combination of alcoholic and mentally unstable. But over time I saw several people pass through (commissioned and non-) who were on their way up and were definitely useful mammals.

We had a guy they wouldn't give a leaf to because the army had no record of him completing basic, 26 years in, two tours, and PLQ done, but hold on we can't find a file he completed basic back on the 90s so we can't promote him every one :rolleyes:
Unit CO is the authority for that appointment in a Res F unit.

If the pers file was in disrepair the CO should have had the brains to advance regardless.

OTOH, it's "fun" to review a pers file and discover that a CO promoted someone years earlier without the required approval of the HHQ... Just as you are getting ready to recommend to that same HHQ that they promote them.

Have to speak up in fairness. For about my first decade in, by example I assumed all Reg F NCOs were some combination of alcoholic and mentally unstable. But over time I saw several people pass through (commissioned and non-) who were on their way up and were definitely useful mammals.
Oh both A and B can be awesome, some of my best Ops staff were RSS that needed a slower tempo to recover

I kind of divide it between 'Pre-AFG' and 'Post-AFG'.

RSSWO: Before I can think of only one that were good at their jobs and after, two.

RSSO: Before, one, after, nil .... kind of the opposite ;)

LFCA's coop program should have seen large number of senior officers spend a few months in Edmonton followed by their dismissal from the CAF.

The amoral imbeciles refused to pay soldiers for training "because they are coop students".
Well there's probably a lot of blame to go around but I have always thought that PRes senior officers and the PRes institution they developed in the largest roadblock to actually making the primary reserve useful.

I got a call when I was in Afg jacking me up for not showing up to the Command Team Crse in Kingston. Told them I was in Afg and been so for 4 months by that time. They begrudgingly said that was OK then. This was all after the query being passed through Div and Brigade. No one bothered to ask the Unit, nor realized I was deployed.

I got a call when I was in Afg jacking me up for not showing up to the Command Team Crse in Kingston. Told them I was in Afg and been so for 4 months by that time. They begrudgingly said that was OK then. This was all after the query being passed through Div and Brigade. No one bothered to ask the Unit, nor realized I was deployed.
That's a "add all the CoC from CACSC through Army HQ, and all the CoC from Bde HQ to Army HQ" on the reply email moment.

Plus including, in the recommendation to the Army commander, that the Army get CMP to conduct an external Summary Investigation into Army pers management.

I left the CAF for 8 years then turned up to reenlist and they hadn’t taken me off strength.

Which was awesome as I just signed a pay sheet and carried on as if nothing had happened ;)

You're kind of proving my point. Yes we're transporting, but we only have the transport capability to support the existing peacetime organization. Do we have the surge capability to support a deployed Brigade Group in extended high-intensity conflict and accounting for potential combat losses and the need to use more distant airfields for our larger aircraft due to enemy AA threats?

If a war over Taiwan were to kick off and Canada sent a TF in support along with some MPAs to help protect US carriers from PLAN subs and at the same time Russia surged assets into the North Atlantic in threatened support of China would we have enough MPAs and MH to both support our deployed TF and adequately patrol both our coasts for an extended period of high intensity operations?

It's like having a Tank Regiment. It checks the box for us during peacetime. See? We're a serious army...we have a Regiment of Leopard 2's! Are they fit to deploy quickly if we need to? Do we have the capability to quickly deploy them if we need to? Do we have all the assets, spares, parts, ammo, crews, replacement crews, replacement vehicles, recovery assets, fuelling assets, bridging and engineering gear, etc. to sustain them in a conflict?

That's the difference between a military that is a peacetime bureaucracy and a military that is prepared to fight a war.

Ok I’ll counter. When was the last time Canada had to surge deeploy a bridge like you said?

Capability like this is massively expensive.

Point stands to your original question; the RCAF is daily doing the business and missions ISO of Government directed domestic and international operations.

SAR is part of the defence mandate. Pretty sure the RCN has a RDS that holds some kind of SAR function as well.

I’ve been on crews that have been retailed no duff SAR on peacetime TASW. It’s a real thing.

Well there's probably a lot of blame to go around but I have always thought that RegF and PRes senior officers and the PRes institution they developed in the largest roadblock to actually making the primary reserve useful.
FYTF

🍻

Reactions: MJP
I wonder who are the PRes officers who have time to develop the institution. All my time was spent reading emails and voluminous attachments to emails, and responding to those. Most of it originated from people in full-time positions.

Pity we aren't still using manual typewriters and relying on hardcopy correspondence. Would severely reduce the amount of useless information being passed along "just because".

I wonder who are the PRes officers who have time to develop the institution. All my time was spent reading emails and voluminous attachments to emails, and responding to those. Most of it originated from people in full-time positions.

Pity we aren't still using manual typewriters and relying on hardcopy correspondence. Would severely reduce the amount of useless information being passed along "just because".
IMHO Pres COs should be reg force officers posted in, we lack the in house institutional knowledge to properly develop officers in the Pres to allow them to succeed in such positions.

IMHO Pres COs should be reg force officers posted in, we lack the in house institutional knowledge to properly develop officers in the Pres to allow them to succeed in such positions.

Almost all of the RSSOs I've seen over the years were assigned to the Adjutant position. This role, as you know, includes Officer development.

None ever, to my knowledge, took any responsibility for developing the regimental officers, and nor were they ever held to account AFAIK.

They were quite qualified to fulfill that role, I believe, but just couldn't be bothered.

Back