• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does family know what Trade you select?

EpicBeardedMan

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if whatever trade you pick that your family is aware of that, like some letter or at the swearing in ceremony they say what trade you're been hired for..can anyone shed some light on this? Would it be possible to keep them in the dark.

Only if you tell them.  I don't think it's mentioned at the swearing in ceremony but things may have changed.

Why would you not want to tell them?  You are an adult, are you not?

They're going to find out eventually - might as well take it head on and let them know now.

Unless you're still living at home with your parents - depending on their attitude you might tell them right away or it might be better to wait until a week prior to leaving on your basic course...

if you do have to hide it perhaps you should rethink joining. 

PMedMoe said:
Only if you tell them.  I don't think it's mentioned at the swearing in ceremony but things may have changed.

Why would you not want to tell them?  You are an adult, are you not?

Long story, basically my family has history with the armed forces so by me wanting to join any combat arms trade I'd be shunning my family is how they see it, but the three trades I'm really interested in are MP, AESop, and Combat Engie. AESop apparently I don't meet the educational requirements and hopefully i get MPAC'd in June but I'm interested in Combat Engie (Want to take Combat Diver course then eventually go for Clearance Diver). as well so if thats the trade I get then..well you know my family would be livid.

I saw you posted on The AES Op Lounge about the university math credit issue with your CFRC.  I am sure you will find a senior member of the AES Op trade who will have some advice and assistance.  I am confident about the entrance requirements educationally speaking, and that you were given wrong information. 

AES Op is an extremely good trade and if you are interested in it (not sure what your first choice is, but my opinion is AES Op is the best of your 3 choices), you might find your CFRC saying "whoops!" in short order re: the university math thing.

;D

Hate to break it to you, but Combat Engineer is Combat Arms.

Also, when you start training on DP1/QL3 some trades mail your family a letter saying you are about to commence training, I remember when my brother started PPCLI Battle School/BIQ they mailed our parents a letter about it.

And are you sure your family would shun you for going Combat Arms... seems a bit weird.

You'll just have to sit your parents down and tell them you've always hidden your military feelings, but finally admitted to yourself that you are fully military and you dont want to hide what you really are any more.

Then invite some military friends of yours over for dinner.

As Seinfeld would say: Not that there's anything wrong with that.... 

-Skeletor- said:

Also, when you start training on DP1/QL3 some trades mail your family a letter saying you are about to commence training, I remember when my brother started PPCLI Battle School/BIQ they mailed our parents a letter about it.

And are you sure your family would shun you for going Combat Arms... seems a bit weird.

I'm aware that it's part of the combat arms hence my dilemma  :p I don't think they'd shun me, well my grandmother would but my parents would get over it pretty quick, its just drama I don't want, last year I had applied to infantry, combat engi, and armored and it was a whole big deal.

CountDC said:
if you do have to hide it perhaps you should rethink joining.

Uhhh... Why?

I don't think there should be any dilemma for the OP as to whether or not to apply and join. As was noted, he's a big boy now, his grandmother/parents will just have to cut the umbilical cord. It's their problem really, not his.

ballz said:
Uhhh... Why?

I don't think there should be any dilemma for the OP as to whether or not to apply and join. As was noted, he's a big boy now, his grandmother/parents will just have to cut the umbilical cord. It's their problem really, not his.

because big boys don't have to hide their career choices.

Obviously there is a dilemma for the OP otherwise the question would not have been asked and at the moment it is his problem as he is the one thinking of hiding it.  I stand - if you have to hide your career choice then you should rethink it.  Otherwise man up - tell them this is your choice and deal with it - then it is their problem.

EpicBeardedMan said:
I'm aware that it's part of the combat arms hence my dilemma  :p I don't think they'd shun me, well my grandmother would but my parents would get over it pretty quick, its just drama I don't want, last year I had applied to infantry, combat engi, and armored and it was a whole big deal.

Sounds like the old joke where the recruiter asks, "Why do you want to join the Navy, son?"
The kid answers, "My father said it'd be a good idea, sir."
"Oh? And what does your father do?"
"He's in the Army, sir."
;D

Please, for the love of the Great Architect, if you're going to abbreviate, it's Cbt Eng, not engi, not engie, or anything else.  Otherwise it's Combat Engineer, thank you.

:rofl:

sorry, couldn't resist.

:rofl:

Anyone from ARMORED want to shoot too?

-Skeletor- said:

Really? And what were they saying in that letter?

Oh! And yes, my parents know what trade I picked. I don't think they really know what it,s all about, but they know, yeah. As long as I assume my choice, they're okay with that.

Members of CFRG are prohibited by the Privacy act from revealing information pertaining to an applicant or their application to anyone other than A) The applicant or B) other authorized members of DND ( i.e. us CFRG types),

That being said however, during enrollments at the CFRC I currently occupy space in, we put on a very tolerable and informative powerpoint show designed to inform the applicant's guests about the trades the applicant's are being enrolled in as well as general info on the CF, the environments or "services", and lots of good to know info on what goes on at the Recruit School.

This also helps to keep the guests occupied and out of trouble whilst the enrollees are off with the processing clerks signing their lives away  >:D

If our applicants bring guests to the enrollment, they are choosing to inform them.

(edited for clarity ...... and puir speeling)

Back