• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress and Deportment

FJAG said:
This might come as a surprise to you but there are quite a few of us who aren't ashamed of parading in the public in combat dress. It tends to remind people that we aren't merely civil servants in a a slightly different colour of shirt and tie business suits.

The different colour berets don't bother me. That's an issue dealing with identity and tradition. The boots on the other hand are ridiculous and a result of a seriously failed procurement policy and in my mind are a badge of shame which we really should fix.

Beards. Personally I don't like them but then again I'm still wearing the same mustache that was au courant amongst all the regimental officers in the 1970s. So what do I know.

;D
Well since you are an army type I can understand your fondness to the combats  ;D. The NCD's on the other hand are just fine for when you are working in the ship but look horrible on parade. I agree with a comment earlier that if you are parading in combat dress then ditch the swords and white gloves.

I am a fan of BOOTFORGEN - for operational dress, footwear should be that which best supports each individual; MK III cripplers or whatever else is bought in bulk for lowest cost compliant reasons is a good way to injure soldiers.

That said, for a ceremonial occasion personnel should be in ceremonial uniforms.

The array of beret colours may arise from a support unit - it's not unusual for a service battalion to have aviators, killicks and folks in green all workign together - all wearing different colours on their heads, and even the odd (some very odd) RCEME type in their royal blue as well.

CanadianTire said:
Humphrey Bogart said:
They look like crap.  Slovenly in fact.  The Officer's dress and deportment is atrocious. 

What part is atrocious? His boots are black and appear to be polished to the standards one would expect for combat boots. His pants appear to fit and are evenly bloused. His tunic fits and the arm length seems to be fine. Neither part are excessively worn or faded. His name tag and patches are on evenly and not scrunched up, worn or faded. His beret, while maybe a little high on his head fits and seems formed acceptably.

Yea, HB. Was that sarcasm? I agree CT. Nothing seems outright slovenly about the Major.

FSTO said:
Well since you are an army type I can understand your fondness to the combats  ;D. The NCD's on the other hand are just fine for when you are working in the ship but look horrible on parade. I agree with a comment earlier that if you are parading in combat dress then ditch the swords and white gloves.

Agreed. All parades that I ever did in combat's or CADPAT had officers wearing pistols and not swords. That might be harder to accomplish these days considering the completely different load bearing gear being worn.

dapaterson said:
I am a fan of BOOTFORGEN - for operational dress, footwear should be that which best supports each individual; MK III cripplers or whatever else is bought in bulk for lowest cost compliant reasons is a good way to injure soldiers.

That actually brings up an interesting point. The NZ Army is introducing a new "garrison shoe" for wear with their combat dress while in garrison reserving boots for exercises and operations. The primary reason is that studies into ankle injuries have shown:

“The results showed that consistently wearing boots for a long time caused the ankle joint
to rely on the boot for stability and therefore become ‘lazy’. This significantly increases the chances of injury when playing sport and/ or running without a boot. A further interesting result indicated that the thick sole of the boot was reducing the sensory feedback the bottom of the foot was receiving from the ground surface. This decreases the ability of foot and ankle to prevent the joint form “rolling over” and being injured because the sensory input which informs the joint how it is positioned is weakened.”

See article here at p 4 http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews503.pdf

:cheers:

My  :2c:

I'm not completely against doing parades in combats, but I prefer doing them in dress uniform. Doesn't even have to be 1As. It's bloody hot in the summer, do them in 3Bs.

However, to the people saying there's no time to get ready for parade, I say hogwash. I have to wear 3Bs to work. I iron and polish them the night before work. For parade practice, if there's no actual marching involved, how long does it take to size people and practice a few general salutes. 1 hr? 2 hrs?

Also, agreed with the sword. I love swords! I hate that I don't get to wear *my* sword more often! But a sword does NOT belong with work dress.

Maybe the CDS is a forum member...he'll read this thread and say "you know what...they're right.  All parades in DEUs...and let's rescind those BOOT and BEARDFORGENs..."

Then everyone will be happy because everyone will look the same.  Who cares if boots are functional and the individual can get ones that fit their feet...uniformity is where it's at.  Let's get those stocks of black combat boots, general purpose boots etc back out at clothing stores so people can be happy on parade practice again.  ;D

Lumber said:
My  :2c:

I'm not completely against doing parades in combats, but I prefer doing them in dress uniform. Doesn't even have to be 1As. It's bloody hot in the summer, do them in 3Bs.

However, to the people saying there's no time to get ready for parade, I say hogwash. I have to wear 3Bs to work. I iron and polish them the night before work. For parade practice, if there's no actual marching involved, how long does it take to size people and practice a few general salutes. 1 hr? 2 hrs?

Also, agreed with the sword. I love swords! I hate that I don't get to wear *my* sword more often! But a sword does NOT belong with work dress.
So you're gonna start wearing 1A to the office so you can wear your sword to work?  I like it!

Lumber said:
Doesn't even have to be 1As. It's bloody hot in the summer, do them in 3Bs.

I like the trend of the RCAF change of command parades in the summer being in 3Bs.  Fewer people hitting the tarmac is a good thing.

I hate that I don't get to wear *my* sword more often! But a sword does NOT belong with work dress.

Wait, people actually *buy* their own swords  ???

Lumber said:
What part is atrocious? His boots are black and appear to be polished to the standards one would expect for combat boots. His pants appear to fit and are evenly bloused. His tunic fits and the arm length seems to be fine. Neither part are excessively worn or faded. His name tag and patches are on evenly and not scrunched up, worn or faded. His beret, while maybe a little high on his head fits and seems formed acceptably.

Yea, HB. Was that sarcasm? I agree CT. Nothing seems outright slovenly about the Major.

Not sarcasm, I just think it's very poor form that they are mounting an honour guard for the Prime Minister of Canada in combats vice ceremonial dress, on an RCR base no less

As for the Officer's dress, yes it looks bad.  His boot blousing looks sloppy and he has a very poorly formed beret that is too small for his head.  He is also wearing his sword scabbard under his tunic.

I don't know what's changed in Petawawa since 2014 but you would have never caught any RCR or 2CMBG unit mounting an honour guard for the Prime Minister and the NATO Secretary General in combats.

I remember Quarter Guards being mounted for visitors and they were always done in DEUs. 

I will admit that the opinion here seems to be deeply divided and I'm willing to hoist home some valid points.

PPCLI Guy said:
Damn.  I missed that one.
You're a Patricia, treating Dress Instructions as mere suggestions is Regimental policy, is it not?

Sorry, just noticed that this was locked, probably because the old thread the latest comments was merged with was locked for some reason. So if anyone has been trying to post but couldn't, have at it.

Milnet.ca Staff

garb811 said:
You're a Patricia, treating Dress Instructions as mere suggestions is Regimental policy, is it not?
  Similar to speed limits in Québec...

garb811 said:

When it comes to moustaches- yes. 👍

FSTO said:

That has to be expensive;  I thought buying a good flashlight and survival knife for work made me *dedicated*.

Is there a tradition behind this...specific to the RCN, perhaps?

Eye In The Sky said:
That has to be expensive;  I thought buying a good flashlight and survival life for work made me *dedicated*.

Is there a tradition behind this...specific to the RCN, perhaps?

We were "encouraged" to buy swords in the RCR as well.  $1000 bucks on the CANEX plan from the Regimental Kit Shop.  I still have mine. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
We were "encouraged" to buy swords in the RCR as well.  $1000 bucks on the CANEX plan from the Regimental Kit Shop.  I still have mine.

Out of curiosity, has there been any change in the willingness of junior officers to do so since dueling was removed from the Criminal Code?

Brihard said:
Out of curiosity, has there been any change in the willingness of junior officers to do so since dueling was removed from the Criminal Code?

Some people didn't want to buy a sword.  I didn't feel like buying one either but just did anyways because the Adjutant told me to. 

His words:  "the ones in stores are in poor condition and you are all going to be on parade so unless you want to spend a couple of weeks refurbishing one of the used ones so it looks decent for parade, I recommend you buy one"

I know, weird Regiment.

I just asked a friend who worked in Brussels about this.  He said it isn't uncommon for certain European countries to do parades like this in combats with the caveat being "their uniforms actually look good".

So I'm partially leaning towards "this could be ok if our uniforms weren't so atrocious".

Back