• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

END of an ERA (the wedge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
284_226 said:
We can now get the team of personnel responsible for this groundbreaking change of policy to solve the next dilemma facing the CF - red and white hook velcro Canada flags that are larger in size than the patch of loop velcro sewn to CADPAT.    ::)

And the fact that when you have a rucksack (or backpack) on and remove it, chances are, you'll lose your flag too!!!  ::) ;)

...or bump shoulders with someone else in passing...you both end up doing a "shoulder check".

:cdn:  {hope that one sticks there?!?!}

Hmm,

I just used some red thread and tacked the corners and edges of the flag down on all my cadpats. Haven't lost one yet, even when rubbing shoulders (not that I'd ever do that  ;D ) or removing my ruck or webbing.

Edited to add:

Actually I'm lying...I did lose one when it was forcibly removed from my shoulder (my shirt was hanging on the back of my chair) by scheming Corporals at Clothing Stores just prior to going to give a briefing in the CTC Theatre. No worries, my CSM picked me up for it prior to my entry...thank goodness for husbands who work in CTC.

As for the scoundrels responsible ... I got them all back!!  >:D

;D
Beware those scheeming CPLs and the Flag Gremlins.
;D

C1Dirty said:
Bring back the blue flight suit!

NO !!!!!!!

But bringing back coloured badges would be nice......kinda like every other air arm in the world does.

CADPAT flightsuit ? For the TACHEL, fighters and trash haulers maybe.  VP and HS guys would look pretty funny in those chassing subs but hey, its not like it would hurt either.

Shall we get off the Flight Suit topic or move it over to that long drawn out topic.......................GET BACK ON TOPIC........The WEDGE.

Buddha66 said:
Now if only we can get a rule to ban the beret with a flight suit...which looks equally stupid IMHO

Bovine faeces.

Ban the wedge completely.

Then we'd all look like americans!!  :cdn:
I'm all for wearing ball caps or boonie hats in the sun, I love the sun but he doesn't like my eyes.  But berets and wedge on parade looks very sharp and  :cdn:
The Beret is  :cdn:, the wedge is Air Force {then again, so is the Forge hat} and goes well in DEU but not CADPAT, it looks {silly}

Then why not do what the Navy does and wear ballcaps within the confines of a base?  And it is only for wear with their NCDs, keeping beret and peak cap/boler, for DEUs.  I am working with alot of USAF now, and they wear their ballcaps.  IMO, it looks fine with the cadpat, seems to define it more as "workdress".

airmich said:
Then why not do what the Navy does and wear ballcaps within the confines of a base? 

I wear ballcaps within the Hangar / ramp.  I only put on my wedge on the way to work or going to other buildings on base outside of the restricted area.

airmich said:
Then why not do what the Navy does and wear ballcaps within the confines of a base?  And it is only for wear with their NCDs, keeping beret and peak cap/boler, for DEUs.  I am working with alot of USAF now, and they wear their ballcaps.  IMO, it looks fine with the cadpat, seems to define it more as "workdress".
Yes, but then we'd all look alike.  Sorry, but we must stay distinctive in some aspects.  From our 2 inch Cdn Flag; that says we are patriotic but don't go overboard; to our berets, which are distinctive on this side of the Atlantic. 
I wear a ballcap on the airfield to shield my eyes from the sun and in case of a splash.  I wear my beret elsewhere.   
beatdeadhorse.gif

...approaching mundaneness

just to note, the Navy wears the ball cap outside the base as well, ie: when deployed, while on board.

As this thread devolves into a general discussion on the pros and cons of various types of military headgear I am reminded of a favourite anecdote regarding Montgomery during the Sicilian campaign.  I had previously heard that the hero of this tale had been Canadian, but found no substantiation.  It wouldn't surprise me though.

General Montgomery was driving in his staff car up to the front when he encountered a completely naked soldier wearing a silk top hat.  The soldier took off the top hat and made a sweeping and gallant gesture to the general.  When Montgomery returned to his headquarters he issued his only order about dress in the Eighth Army.  "Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army".

I read that in Legion magazine many years ago. A Canadian unit had captured an Italian hat factory and some product was liberated. The soldier, who was actually fully clothed, was directing convoy traffic through an intersection when Montgomery cruised by. The soldier, in his surprise, could not determine if it was correct to salute in non-issue headgear or not, so instead bowed from the waste as he swept the hat from his head. Montgomery was amused, but shortly afterwards issued the only dress regulation of his career.

The men in back areas discarded all possible clothing and some even took to wearing the wide-brim Sicilian straw hat. I well remember an incident that occurred one day as I was driving in my open car up to the front. I saw a lorry coming towards me with a soldier apparently completely naked in the driver's seat, wearing a silk top hat. As the lorry passed me, the driver leant out from his cab and took off his hat to me with a sweeping and gallant gesture. I just roared with laughter. However, while I was not particular about dress so long as the soldiers fought well and we won our battles, I at once decided that there were limits. When I got back to my headquarters I issued the only order I ever issued about dress in the Eighth Army; it read as follows: " Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army." - Memoirs of Field- Marshal Montgomery, The; 1958

What happens if you are in your flying suit wearing a CADPAT jacket? Wedge or no Wedge?

Well, I guess that Montgomery should know - the writer of the Legion anecdote must have made an error.

fireman1867 said:
What happens if you are in your flying suit wearing a CADPAT jacket? Wedge or no Wedge?

We are getting off topic here
Why would you wear the cadpat jacket with the flying suit?  That is why we are issued flyer jackets. (Then again we have those that love to mix and match)
If you are wearing the flying suit then it's the wedge.  The beret with the flying suit looks like crap IMO.

Proud Canadian said:
The beret with the flying suit looks like crap IMO.

I can only assume you're not talking about flying suit with tan beret  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back