• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enroll Permanent Resident / Naturalized Citizen

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
If you are not born a Canadian citizen, you need to become "naturalized" to become one.  The certificate they give you when you become a Canadian would be your naturalization certificate.  It's also known as a "Certificate of Canadian Citizenship."  It should be the same documentation you gave to the recruiting centre when you started the process.

Of course, you could also ask the recruiting centre instead of relying on anonymous internet people.
 

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,500
Points
1,160
Were you specifically told to have a "Certificate of Naturalization" with you on arrival at St. Jean or are you reading joining instructions that say something similar to
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page
Required Documents and Items
The following documents are required on arrival:

a.  Birth Certificate and Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization if you were born outside Canada;

Carefully read instructions for "and" & "or"; they can change the meaning significantly.  Attention to detail is an important military principle.  Also, don't rule out that their presence or absence could be a typographical error.

The three documents mentioned in the quoted joining instructions are the ones that commonly prove the date of acquiring Canadian citizenship.  There once was a document issued by the Government of Canada called a "Certificate of Naturalization", however it is unlikely that you would have one since an individual who had been naturalized as an infant (let's say one year old) when they were still issuing them would now be over 68 years old.  It is still valid evidence of citizenship for those senior citizens but is unlikely to be held by anyone joining today.  It is probably still included in the English version of the joining instructions because no one has bothered to edit it out, unlike the French version where it is not mentioned.

Documents à apporter à l'arrivée
Les documents suivants sont requis à votre arrivée :

a.Certificat de naissance et certificat de citoyenneté canadienne si vous êtes né à l'extérieur du Canada;
 

Sorrow

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Thanks a lot everybody.
I got my answer from recruiting center.
:christmas happy:
 

raoufhakam

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Certificate of Citizenship, Citizenship Card, or Canadian Passport all would suffice. you must have one of those if you were born outside of Canada, or else you're not a Canadian citizen.

i was asked for those by my unit after enrollment ceremony, not at BMQ
 

CA

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Can perm residents in Canada with US citizenship enlist (not joint citizenship)?
Is it all branches or just some? Is it just reserves or can they go active too?

Any first hand experiences and/or links/info?
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
872
Points
1,260
CA said:
Can perm residents in Canada with US citizenship enlist (not joint citizenship)?

To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who
 

CA

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
mariomike said:
To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

yeah ive seen that.......issue is that isn't true if this is also true.......

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/permanent-canadian-residents-who-are-member-of-the-military-to-be-fast-tracked-for-citizenship

you cant not allow PR and yet have PR already in......math doesn't add.
 

RocketRichard

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
In extenuating circumstances some members  have been enrolled with PR status. However, in 2014 I do believe there  were approximately 60 members with pr status in the entire CF.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

gwp

Full Member
Reaction score
1
Points
180
RocketRichard said:
In extenuating circumstances some members  have been enrolled with PR status. However, in 2014 I do believe there  were approximately 60 members with pr status in the entire CF.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


DAOD 5002-1  Enrollment  Part 3
Citizenship

3.3 An applicant is required to be:

    a Canadian citizen; or
    a citizen of another country who has permanent resident status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and:
        undertakes to become a Canadian citizen immediately when eligible to do so;
        provides service that satisfies a special need; and
        whose enrolment, in the opinion of the Commander (Comd) Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG), would not prejudice the national interest.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-1.page#qe

One issue is that a person must maintain permanent resident status.  PR Status may be lost if a refugee returns to visit their home country (demonstrating they no longer require protection) or apply for a passport from their home country.  Permanent Residents must be physically present for two years within five years on the day the determination is made.  The residency requirement for citizenship is a fixed period in Bill C-24 currently six years previous to day of application in Bill C-6 the act about to come into force its 3 years in the five year period previous to the day of application.  I have sworn serving members of the CF as Canadian citizens. 


 

RocketRichard

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
gwp said:
DAOD 5002-1  Enrollment  Part 3
Citizenship

3.3 An applicant is required to be:

    a Canadian citizen; or
    a citizen of another country who has permanent resident status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and:
        undertakes to become a Canadian citizen immediately when eligible to do so;
        provides service that satisfies a special need; and
        whose enrolment, in the opinion of the Commander (Comd) Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG), would not prejudice the national interest.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-1.page#qe
Yes, that's the DAOD reference. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
Good Morning,

Joining the CAF as a PR requires a Citizenship Waiver.  About the only times citizenship waivers are completed is for occupations where the CAF is having difficulty enrolling Canadian Citizens into the occupation; the other caveat is that the person must be fully qualified in Canada to do the job.  (i.e. a Foreign Medical Officer would not be given a Citizenship Waiver as they're not qualified in Canada to practice but a Foreign Pilot who is fully qualified to fly would be eligible for a Citizenship Waiver).

I can tell you from experience that about the only occupation currently being entertained for foreign (i.e. non-citizens) applicants is Pilot.
 

gwp

Full Member
Reaction score
1
Points
180
Here is a Naval Commander being presented his Canadian Citizenship on January 31 2014. 
 

Attachments

  • Doc1.docx
    188.5 KB · Views: 133

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
3,464
Points
1,040
Buck_HRA said:
Good Morning,

Joining the CAF as a PR requires a Citizenship Waiver.  About the only times citizenship waivers are completed is for occupations where the CAF is having difficulty enrolling Canadian Citizens into the occupation; the other caveat is that the person must be fully qualified in Canada to do the job.  (i.e. a Foreign Medical Officer would not be given a Citizenship Waiver as they're not qualified in Canada to practice but a Foreign Pilot who is fully qualified to fly would be eligible for a Citizenship Waiver).

I can tell you from experience that about the only occupation currently being entertained for foreign (i.e. non-citizens) applicants is Pilot.

I've seen it done for SOF as well, but that's a little more case by case basis.
 

secammo

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Hello all, I'm 34 years old woman who is new landed PR and want to join CF, I have foreign nurse education, I heard about citizenship waiver for PR, but I made some calls with a few recruiting officers that they said only citizenship can apply, so any advice? Thanks!
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
2,066
Points
1,060
My advice would be to listen to the recruiting officers who said only citizens can apply... If that info is directly from a Recruiting Centre, it is the most accurate information you'll get.
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
453
Points
980
Welcome to Army.ca, secammo

Very few exceptions are ever made to the citizenship requirements, and only for narrowly specific reasons. You'll have to obtain that first, as I did several decades ago. They pushed it through for me in half of the normal time back then, as I'd told them that I was applying to the Regular Force (I was a Reservist, at the time; British citizenship was acceptable for that back then).

While you are waiting for that, start exploring this Site. There is much valuable information available in existing threads. Learn from that.
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,055
Points
960
In addition to the very good advice already posted, if you want to join as a nurse you will need to have a valid licence to practice from a Canadian nursing authority.
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
Good Day,

In addition to the above I can tell you that citizenship waivers are not currently being entertained for Nursing Officer at the moment; and likely will not be an occupation that is considered for a waiver.
 

syg05295

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I am a PR in canada , Backgrounded South Korea.
i have been living in canada for more then 10 years.
i wanted to join the regular force but ive noticed that only citizen`s can join it.
is it true? is there no chance for pr to join the regular force?
and i also want to know if i can join the reserve force .
currently 22 years old , finished highschool till grade 12 , dont have the diploma , but attended first year college and mature student
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,055
Points
960
Taken directly from the Recruiting home page:


Am I eligible?

Let’s start with the basics. To start a full or part-time career in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) you must:

  -  be a Canadian citizen
  -  be at least 18 years old (17 years old with parental consent), except:
      -  For the Paid Education programs—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent)
      -  For the Primary Reserves—you may be 16 years old (with parental consent) and must be enrolled as a full-time student
  - have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Québec (some jobs need higher levels of education)
 
Top