• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex PHOENIX RAM - Brigade Training Event 2005 (BTE 05) in Wainwright

BTE = Brigade Training Event.

In BTE 03, 2 CMBG and its units were validated.  BTE 05 will validate 1 CMBG HQ, 1 PPCLI BG, 2 R22eR BG, and (to a lesser extent) a 2 PPCLI BG.

SAT 2 = the second phase of the WES (Wpns Effects Simulator) validations for CMTC.

So, folks that have been on a BTE in Wainwright, any do's or don't's on what to bring, what to do in Wainwright, as I'm trying to get a grasp of the Ex...

cbt arms sub tech said:
I'm trying to get a grasp of the Ex...
Are you planning to just show-up & hope someone will take you in?

cbt arms sub tech said:
So, folks that have been on a BTE in Wainwright, any do's or don't's on what to bring,
The kit list is simple: everything you need for war.  Planning for the time of year, you would want your cold weather kit (it just might snow).

cbt arms sub tech said:
what to do in Wainwright,
I would not plan on seeing much beyond the trg area (unless, maybe, if you are in the TLB).

cbt arms sub tech said:
Are the days usually pretty long?
24 hrs long.  War does not stop for everyone to visit Canex.

I was asked last week if I wanted to go to Wainwright for the month of October to take part in the Brigade Training Event thats taking place there. Thats the only information I was given though. Im a Sup Tech, does anyone know what the training for me would consist of? I also know it has something to do with going on tour, but like I said I havent been told much, any info would be great!

I was asked to join the BTE last week. Im a supply tech by trade in the reserves, so I really have no idea what to expect. They had no hard details about what I'd be doing, who I'd be integrated with etc...Does anyone have any info on any of this?

I haven't been on a BTE before, although a few things to consider, Wainwright in October, expect anything for weather, expect & pack for the worst, warm clothes...Its an Brigade Ex, so lots of troops, 5,000 plus I imagine....Plus its a Regular force ex, so have your shit together...I would think you would be tasked with 1 svc bn doing log stuff...Ensuring everyone is getting feed, clothed, full of ammo, full, all that fun stuff...Not like a reserve ex, your in the field late Friday, out Sunday morning, so no need for showers & laundry...So think about your trade, how you would feed everyone, an there's needs plus 30 days...If you go, do a great job, especially if your reserve, give the reserve a good reputation!

Professional Soliders playing war for 30 days, so I would suggest you go in being prepared, so known of them sort you out!

Expect to be doing the same stuff you've done on a Active Edge an Cougar Salvo, only this ex is on a march larger scale.

I found out today that Ill be going as a driver. I dont know whether Im actually going to be "playing" with the Regs, or if Im just there to support and drive someone around. Either way, I think Im ready.

I'm out in Wainwright right now doing BTE 05.
It's cold. Pack for the cold; ie fleece, long underwear, jacket, toque...that sort of stuff.
This is a serious ex. Lots going on, lots of stuff to remember.
I'm out as a reservist too and its a lot different then any exercise I have ever been on.
Just make sure your shits together and you'll be fine. Just work hard, thats what they want.
But other then that its a pretty good go so far.
Good luck.

-KaT

Endex was called at 1000 hrs today.  They units will do range cleanup and wash vehicles and begin redeploying in a few days.  The LdSH (RC) and 2 PPCLI will be holding a gun camp and support to SAT II later in the month.

It was a very big and very complicated exercise but from a control perspective, I thought it went well. 

Let's just say that one unit learned the hard way that you can't attack a dug in enemy company with tank and LAV support with just a LAV company.   Something to remember; seems like they may have forgotten to teach it to a couple of courses!  

(note - so sayeth this desk warrior    ;))

Gunner said:
Let's just say that one unit learned the hard way that you can't attack a dug in enemy company with tank and LAV support with just a LAV company.

I see that the word hasn't completely got out that the Combat Team doesn't really exist in Canada anymore.

The BLUEFOR didn't have tank or direct fire support but they did have the resources to deal with a company dug in with 3-4 tanks.

I thought tank and/or DFS support -was- the resource to deal with a company dug in with 3-4 tanks.  Didn't Kosovo teach us anything?

Back