• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Expansion of Army reserves put on hold

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Haven‘t heard from the chain of comd yet, but ... this sounds discouraging.
From today‘s National Post:
link to Chris Wattie article in full

The federal Liberals have put a planned expansion of Canada‘s long-neglected army reserves on hold until after the upcoming election, a move critics are calling a betrayal of their promises to rebuild the country‘s military.

David Price, the parliamentary secretary to the Defence Minister with responsibility for the military reserves, told the National Post that about $30-million in funding for more part-time soldiers has been frozen.

He said the money will not be allocated until a full defence and foreign policy review is completed later this year.

"We were asking for the financing to be put in place before the election ... but it really comes down to it being part of the defence review," Mr. Price said.

I think, if it goes thru as planned, formally reviewing and refining our defense policy is a good idea, before they go ahead on any major projects.

The big stuff is still going through - JSS Project, MHP, Stryker (Ugh) - so on, so on - but reviewing what capabilities we use, and what capabilities we want to have before making any huge investments is probably a wise idea, no?

I can understand not wanting to fund new projects and that before a defence review, but why not temporarily allocate enough money to cover all the short falls that exist in the CF from current projects/operations? Doesn‘t the CF run a few hundred million in the red every year due to lack of funding?

Yes, formaly reviewing what capabilities we have and want before investing more money is a good idea. However, the $30 million being frozen was intended to expand the reserves, meaning it would have gone into hiring more recruits and paying for their basic equipment. No matter what capabilities we want we ARE going to need more manpower, so putting a hold on that money isn‘t the same as witholding funding for the purchase of Strykers while we figure out if we‘re really going to need them. It could have a very negative immediate effect because it might result in some recruits who have already gone through testing not being slotted on a course. I know we‘ve been encouraged to intensify our recruiting efforts....so if we get the people signed up and ready to go, and then have to hold them back because the money suddenly isn‘t there any more...well, that‘s not a good situation for anyone involved.

We need more Reservists ! I am a Reg , and I have worked with a great many Reservists , I have alot of time for these people. As for the Stryker, the " Quasi Tank", it‘s a waste of money , a US Senator wrote a very critical assessment of the Stryker , the Americans , as far as I know are not buying it.But no doubt some general in Ottawa , has his finger in the "corporate pie",we buy it , and this general , can retire and get a $100,000, a year job with the manufacturer.

Not to worry - my spies say they will be pouring more cash in soon enough.

We need more Reservists ! I am a Reg , and I have worked with a great many Reservists , I have alot of time for these people.
Old Cent Hand, this is the best comment I have heard you make since you joined the site. I think I might like you after all.

Originally posted by Old Cent‘ Hand:
[qb] We need more Reservists ! I am a Reg , and I have worked with a great many Reservists , I have alot of time for these people. [/qb]
As a reservist, i feel honoured by that.. i‘ve actually heard that quite a bit from other reg force guys..

but reserves need more money. On the comms side: the comm reserve is there to help support the reg force.. now the reg force is at OP CAP 3 or 4, while the reserves are still generally at OP CAP 1.. how can we possibly even HOPE to help them?

Originally posted by logau:
[qb] Not to worry - my spies say they will be pouring more cash in soon enough. [/qb]
Oddly enough, "money", "pouring" and "military" are not often words that the Canadian Government strings together...

Just my thoughts.

Slim

Does this freeze affect the growth scheduled for this fiscal year or is it the phase that was to begin in the 05/06 fiscal year? I cannot tell from the article.

Well, both actually. But we‘re fighting the freeze for this fiscal year. It actually started earlier with the Government putting on a hiring freeze for all Federal Departments a couple of months ago. I honestly cannot tell you yet if we‘re able to recruit for this fiscal year. Right now, it‘s been frozen. I‘ll let you all know the minute I find out.

By the way, the article is quite accurate.

I am in the middle of siging up for my first two courses over this summer to be a reservist, do you think I will still be able to go? All my paperwork and tests - medical, aptitude, physical and my interview are done, I‘m just waiting for my kit and uniform. If anyone has any input, I‘d like to hear it.

-Pete

Originally posted by Slim:
[qb]
Originally posted by logau:
[qb] Not to worry - my spies say they will be pouring more cash in soon enough. [/qb]
Oddly enough, "money", "pouring" and "military" are not often words that the Canadian Government strings together...

Just my thoughts.

Slim [/qb]
Well my thoughts are

They pour money down various rat holes all year long and why should they stop now? ;) This is a Puzzle Palace Caramilk Mystery

Who are "they" pouring in the money and that‘s certainly news to those of us working at Land Force Reserve Restructure. Let‘s not spread rumours here.

Originally posted by NMPeters:
[qb] Who are "they" pouring in the money and that‘s certainly news to those of us working at Land Force Reserve Restructure. Let‘s not spread rumours here. [/qb]
Well I say - Lets spread the truth. DND freeloads off the reserves and thats not a rumour. You know as well as I do DND turns back an amazing amount of $$$ each and every year toi the tune to $25 to $35 million $. Not much compared to the total reserve budget but enough to make good many shortfalls.

As for reserves in Canada - and I am one - until the Government - Not DND or the 3 services - takes a view that more is required and will be delivered rather than slip dates like crazy - then Reserves 2000 or some other psuedo Toronto based political sausage machine will continue to lolly gag us to the end of time.

Take for example pay - why are Canadian Reserves not paid 100% of the reg rates based on time in just like USA and UK reserves........... thats the benchmark. Thats 1:1. And don‘t give us the routine of reserves get so many other non-tangible things.

Bring back some answers - and you know where they start - rather than given us the routine of treating the members here like kids who stepped in dog turds.

Back