• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Issued Kit

We wore ours (with the flaps down) when I went through TQ3 in Borden back when the earth was cooling . . . freezing actually.

The oddest piece of issue kit I ever got was the swim trunks during BOTC at Chilliwack in the mid-1980s. I always thought they'd had been procured by a Quebecois; they were lime green budgie smugglers. And we didn't have the option of wearing anything else when we went to the pool.
I was in Cornwallis Jan-Feb-March '80 and it never came out of the locker, and neither did the tea cozy.

Any fleece sweater, though technically I've never been issues any. I've always borrowed/"stolen" them off others.

I was at a brief about the new stuff we got and the presenter said that the 82 pattern webbing was trialed in the competition and it beat all of the competitors.

I have a hunting rig that's basically the same thing.
The 82 webbing I could at least configure it the way I wanted with what I needed. I was not a big fan of the tac vest.
They did issue an OD tac vest in 1997 that was complete crap đź’©

Any fleece sweater, though technically I've never been issues any. I've always borrowed/"stolen" them off others.
I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t like the RCAF fleece jacket - the one cut like the CANEX jacket but bigger.

I loved the “Army” zip fleece with the high neck though.

Wool long johns. I’m a sucker for anything wool though, doesn’t get as stinky and self regulates temperature.

Glad I’m not the only one that likes the waffle scarf!

Wool long johns. I’m a sucker for anything wool though, doesn’t get as stinky and self regulates temperature.

When did the CAF ever issue woollen long underwear?

I still might have “scarf combat” somewhere in the house. About 6 feet long and can be used as a blanket in a pinch. Ranger Blanket was good too

I was in Cornwallis Jan-Feb-March '80 and it never came out of the locker, and neither did the tea cozy.

We issued a tea cozy ? I assume this is sarcasm of some sort ? Lol

You did not like this vest :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 74696

So I have one of those. Fully packed and ready to go, my own way not the Army way.

I've never really worn it, but I liked the big pockets on the back. What was the issue with is ? I mean it's heavy, and I don't suspect it will breath well...

Yeah, I use them for biking in the winter, they’re pretty durable. I assume you know CAF members get 40% off through Icebreaker Pro Deals?

Last edited:
I think it's probably the bivvy bag, but the newish navy two piece snow suit and the blue rain gear are genuinely well made and useful (that we then place restrictions on using them as intended). Would both of them if given the option. With the yukon hat, proper winter gloves and real winter boots they are great outdoor gear.

I think it's probably the bivvy bag, but the newish navy two piece snow suit and the blue rain gear are genuinely well made and useful (that we then place restrictions on using them as intended). Would both of them if given the option. With the yukon hat, proper winter gloves and real winter boots they are great outdoor gear.
I agree. The bivvy bag is probably the best piece of kit we have been issued in the last 25 years.

I will echo a few others and state that the bivvy bag was head and shoulders above any other kit in terms of usefulness! Saved me on many a wet night from becoming completely drenched or if I went to bed wet (properly undressing if tactical situation permitted) allowed for a level comfort that didn't exist before

The old army green wool crew neck sweater. I wished I was allowed to wear it with garrison dress more often than that duck hunter abomination jacket. I wore in the field whenever I could.

Back