• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

favorite marching cadences!

• Thread starter private_cowboy
  • Start date
Well how about this song, its not a marching cadence but used to be very popular with The RCAC

The amourous hippopotamus,
Whose love song we all know,
Is now married and the father of ten,
And he murmurs God rot them as he watches them grow, and longs to be single again.
No more will he gambol with hippopotatami in silken pajamas as he teaches them to sing

Mud, Mud glorious mud,
Nothing quite like ir for cooling the blood
So follow me, follow me down to the hollow,
Where we shall wallow in glorious mud.

The song was one of Flander's and Swann's animal songs, there was also the GNU song which I thought appropriate to vehicle recognition.
Hope this brings back memories and gives others ideas

I seem to remember having The Proclaimers "500 miles" stuck in my head through a 32km ruck march...wasn't able to listen to it again for several years without shuddering...it's a good beat for walking though.

Infanteer said:
Right on portcullisguy, marching cadences and running jodies is an American military tradition, you won‘t find it too popular here.

Now, regimental drinking songs are another thing.  I remember a certain Cal High Sergeant maintaining Canadian honour by outdoing the British and Dutch attempts at regimental songs.  Sadly, all we troopies could muster up was "You‘ve Lost That Lovin‘ Feeling"

Yes I think it was Monty that said calling a cadence was the sign of an untrained army, it's definitely not a Canadian/British Commonwealth tradition for sure.

Back when I was in Gagetown and did ruck marches on a regular basis I always had "The Song That Never Ends" stuck in my mind. Oddly enough the mindless repetition made the hours go by faster.

Back