• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Aid / CPR training and certification

I observed the CRC cert of the Master Trainers on the East coast, back in 2005. I liked the hands on focus more than the theory. The drawback that I noticed, was that the person doing the qual was hung up on the terms and did not allow SJA terms/name to be mentioned at anytime during training. It was nearly as P/F point in the course.

kratz that's the thing about CRC. We think that if you're going to teach for us, you better teach with our terminology and our material. It's okay to substitute interesting facts into the course itself but you had better be using the correct terminology and wording when you're teaching the actual material. Do I agree with that? Sure, and not so much.

I think it's important to know the material that you're teaching and not get it mixed up with someone else's stuff. After all you're teaching a CRC course, and that should be what the students receive.

True - if you teach for a certain organization and they have certain buzz words or acronyms that are in their common use, don't use someone else's because it will just create chaos with the students who actually study from their manuals.

Who wants to set up an Army.ca First Aid working group, hash out some little CTP's and then toss it up the chain and see what happens?

MM

While I'm not an instructor, I have had the "Benefit" of having both CRC, SJA, and army's version of SJA.  Both my parents were Civie Medics and I've been back from BC for just under a year.  So I've had bit of everything.  I've also had to use my FA training quite a few times before I saw the light and became a Med Tech.

Personally, I liked the way it was taught oh about 15 years ago or so.  I remember being taught real world skills, like how to actually bandage different types of wounds and how to wrap an ankle or a knee, or even the basics of basics, the trusted sling.  I've had to recert my FA skills over the years and noticed a decline in actually teaching these vital tools of trade.  Instead I've found, at least here in Ontario, that the instructors focus more on CPR than anything else.

A few years ago I asked my FAI why was this, and his response was "We don't teach that stuff anymore, because it won't be used and doesn't save lives",  I was like what the.....???.  But I had to go along with it cause it was a company sponsored CRC course.  Needless to say I spent 5 yrs there and never did I do CPR, but I sure used the band aids and bandages alot.

Same with the military version, I remember being told before hand to go in and shut up, just do what your told and don't argue.  Needless to say it was very very hard to do.  Especially for my friends who were all civie PCP's.

I think a return to teaching the basics is essential, focus on teaching how to apply band aids and bandages and rendering aid.  Not just CPR.  Sure being in cardiac arrest will kill you, but so will shock or bleeding out.

Hi there, I didn't know where else to ask this question, hopefully someone can help.

I just finished my contract for the CF and opted to become a civi (I know, I know... geez!).

I'm still quite young and recently decided to become a police officer.  One of the requirements is a First Aid certificate.

Now I completed 1st aid training in BMQ, and was wondering if we ever get a certificate for that, or does our course report count as a valid 1st aid certificate? (<-- I guess that's a question more for the employer).

Thank you and cheers!

First Aid training is only valid for three years. If you have completed your BE, then your certification is most likely expired and you will need to take the course again. I have spoken with the FAIT at the CFLRS Borden Det and they do not normally request certificates for their recruits. 

Most units have a first aid coordinator and they can request a certificate.  Our unit does that for guys that are releasing or for any reserves  that did it with the unit ie for a tour.  As Kratz said they don't issue them out to everyone and in your case it probably has expires, just giving the info out in case anyone else is interested.

The other thing that I used to do when I was teaching alot (and when it was a problem to get the certificates) was I'd write a letter affirming the course number, date and level on either DND or my personal letterhead for the student.

MM

As an SOP, whenever I taught an MSFA crse, I always asked the Unit Coordinator for certificates. Now that I am in a new unit, I have yet to find out who the coord is. If your course is still current, you may be able to get a certificate, if you can come up with the name of your FAI and the date you did the course. Without this basic information, DND Special Centers will not even take the time to look up the information as they get thousands of course reports a year.

In theory, all SJA courses including those done for special centers, should be entered into the SJA Unity system. One thing you could also try is to go to the local SJA office and see if they can do a reprint of the certificate.

Pm me you name and ill give you my email and i can tell you if your expired or not.

Okay guys, I'm wondering how much the Standard and Emergency First Aid costs at St. John Ambulance.

Anyone know? I couldn't find it on their site, but I'm the kind of person who could be looking at it, and not see it ;)

I took the Standard course about a year and a half ago. I'm digging into my memory here, but I'm pretty certain that I recall someone telling me that if we weren't in cadets we would have needed to pay anywheres from $70 to $100 for the course.
Not sure what the prices would be out your way though, but this might give you a ballpark figure.

Oddball

IAW CMP 11/04 the normal level of first aid for DND/CF is Standard First Aid with CPR level C. You would receive this training at no cost to you from your BMQ or unit. The cost of SFA/CPC varies across Canada and you have not mentioned where you are. I know on the East Coast the price is $95 and here in Ontario it is $120. You can also call SJA in your local area to find out.

FrostyHazard said:
Okay guys, I'm wondering how much the Standard and Emergency First Aid costs at St. John Ambulance.

Anyone know? I couldn't find it on their site, but I'm the kind of person who could be looking at it, and not see it ;)

Funny,

I was able to find pricing, once I put in my location....

http://www.sja.ca/Pages/default.aspx

Locked.

dileas

tess

milnet.ca staff

In short, there are no bye's in BMQ, you civi credientials don't mean sh**  We have a former EMT doing the firstaid course.  And the truth of it is it is the same as any civillian St. John civi course, but I found that the training methods seeemed (for me) to be somewhat inferior to the way it is taught in the civi world. ( I've done it multiple times for my civi occupation).  If you have all the knowled going in it just means the test will be that much easier (just don't get caught falling asleep in class)

Military First Aid Training even through St. Johns does not qualify anything in the civilian world. I had to take my civilian first aid training twice over a few years in order to meet the requirements for the job I was applying for, although I have the training still qualified. Military first aid, TCCC, TMST training mean nothing except your own knowledge is bettered(if that's even a word).

Back