• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

If you don't make your minimum standard, you aren't necessarily sent home.  You will be placed on Warrior Platoon for up to 90 days to get into shape for your test.  Warrior Platoon is basically no stop PT to get you into military shape and able to pass you test.

I am a female, 24 years old. I can do 15 push ups non-stop, in the correct form, and 60 situps in a minute. The only thing I am worried about is the shuttle run. I've been running every 2nd day to prepare, but the shuttle run is a lot different, and after stage 2.5 my lungs feel like they are on fire, and my legs feel like they are going to fall off lol. I guess I just wanted to know if I should be worrying right now. I did a shuttle run again last night and got to 3.5?

Chilme said:
If you don't make your minimum standard, you aren't necessarily sent home.  You will be placed on Warrior Platoon for up to 90 days to get into shape for your test.  Warrior Platoon is basically no stop PT to get you into military shape and able to pass you test.

I wonder with the slower intake of soldiers now if we can disband the whole concept of warrior platoon and go back to putting the onus on the individuals joining the forces to be at that minimun standard when they get there.  I know, I know it is crazy that we would think to reinforce the whole concept of meeting the job requirements and personal responsibility that comes with it before accepting them into this fine force.

Desirea701 said:
I guess I just wanted to know if I should be worrying right now. I did a shuttle run again last night and got to 3.5?

Just keep practicing as much as you can between now and BMQ. Run every day for that matter, just switch up the type (intervals, hills, LSD, shuttles, etc.). I noticed that I did better douring the actual test than when I practiced the shuttle run at home. Running in a group of 60 people gives you a little more incentive to keep up with everyone else.

MJP said:
I wonder with the slower intake of soldiers now if we can disband the whole concept of warrior platoon and go back to putting the onus on the individuals joining the forces to be at that minimun standard when they get there.  I know, I know it is crazy that we would think to reinforce the whole concept of meeting the job requirements and personal responsibility that comes with it before accepting them into this fine force.

To amend slightly:  We only abolished fitness testing before entry for the Reg Force.  Reservists still have to meet the physical standard before enrolment.  So if they're too fat and unfit for the Reserves, we ship them to the Regular Force...

OK, the expansion is over, time to sort the seeds before planting in the garden....

It was never a good idea in the first place, but in the drive to increase enrollment, I can see why they went the way they did. 

dapaterson said:
To amend slightly:  We only abolished fitness testing before entry for the Reg Force.  Reservists still have to meet the physical standard before enrolment.  So if they're too fat and unfit for the Reserves, we ship them to the Regular Force...

So that is where they came from....... ;D  I agree with the army reserve policy of testing before.  They have a finite amount of spots and IMHO only qualified people should get them.  That we had to in the Reg Force is a sad indicator of society at large, but it was determine that it had to be done to get the numbers in the door.  That we continue it now when we can pick and choose the best candidates is a waste of resources. 

For the shuttle run portion of the test (done thru highschool at least when I went), do you gain anything by going further than the goal ?  Or is it a waste of time to keep goin once you surpass it ? 

- T.

Fotoshark said:
For the shuttle run portion of the test (done thru highschool at least when I went), do you gain anything by going further than the goal ?  Or is it a waste of time to keep goin once you surpass it ? 

- T.

Do you mean going for a level higher than what's required to pass?  ???

Fotoshark said:

- T.

A sense of accomplishment and satisfaction? If you surpass a certain level on the beep test (level varies on age and gender) and a receive a  high cumulative score on the other activities you receive an incentive.

Fotoshark said:

- T.

You can get exempt status, which will preclude you from having to do the PT test the next fiscal year. (Although if you are on some courses you'll still have to do it.) Search the site for CF Expres Exempt for more info. Additionally and more importantly, do you want your staff and platoon-mates to see you wimp out after the bare minimum? It's more common than it should be, but you'd better believe the people who see it keep a mental list of who they don't want to be next to in a cockpit, foxhole, or submarine, I know I have.

benny88 said:
It's more common than it should be, but you'd better believe the people who see it keep a mental list of who they don't want to be next to in a cockpit

I have had such a list (thankfully a short one) from time to time. Not once, however, was a fellow aviator's ability to do push-ups or anything else on the EXPRES test a factor. There were always far more important things to consider, like SQ (Stupidity Quotient).

Loachman said:
I have had such a list (thankfully a short one) from time to time. Not once, however, was a fellow aviator's ability to do push-ups or anything else on the EXPRES test a factor. There were always far more important things to consider, like SQ (Stupidity Quotient).

Their actual fitness performance was irrelevant, I was referring to the fact that they were quitters after the bare minimums rather than their maximum, which is a mental deficiency rather than a physical one. I sure hope my co-pilot doesn't quit at minimums, that's where things can get hairy.  8)

Cat said:
New rule change...now it's 2 pushups for females to remain on a platoon and 4 or 5 for males to remain on a platoon

*twitch* I love my job :D
:facepalm:

I know we advocate reading all of threads before posting in them and all, but did you really have to go back three years and to page one to find something to necropost about?

the pamphlets/photos i've been given from the recruitment centre show that sit ups will be done with someone holding your feet down. is this the case.. at least for the beginning..the test perhaps?

kcaputs said:
the pamphlets/photos i've been given from the recruitment centre show that sit ups will be done with someone holding your feet down. is this the case.. at least for the beginning..the test perhaps?

For the entirety of the 60 seconds that sit-ups is conducted.

Just to add too that;  every PT test you do on course and at your posting, you will have someone hold your feet during the sit ups or your feet will be under a bar.

For morning PT, you could be doing it like that(feet held) or just with your feet in the air.

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/library_e.asp

The manual for EXPRES Testing in the CF.

Cheers,

Mav

thanks a lot everyone! surely i'm not the only one nervous about PT ..getting details like this are helpful so i'm not worrying too much! :)

Back