• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

airmich said:
Personally, I enjoyed the new activties at the trial.  There was more of a purpose to them, and I found that I was pushing myself more to lift a sandbag faster, or add one more to the drag to see what I could actually do.  Out of the original list that we trialled, the ones that they have picked to test do not seem like anything outrageous, regardless of age or gender.  I trust that with the broad range of guinea pigs that they used, that they found that medium by which to test on.

Will some find it too easy?  Definitely!  But there will still be those that have difficulty with it.  Seems the same with any of the tests that we have now or have had previously.

This was my experience as both a Phase III and IV lab rat. The test is sufficiently different from the EXPRESs that there will be trepidation from many in regards to the challenges it presents.  Are the standards artificially high?  I don't think so.

This somehow seems fitting.

2007-11-02.jpg

airmich said:
http://vimeo.com/54119198

Project FORCE - for review

Shows what some of the initial trials and tests were and you also get a glimpse of what is going to be the new testing.

I gather they have the four tasks, which we can see them perform, but any specifics on the weight, length, height, etc. of each task?

ARMY_101 said:
I gather they have the four tasks, which we can see them perform, but any specifics on the weight, length, height, etc. of each task?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106313/post-1192898.html#msg1192898

Has anyone seen anything further on anticipated Express Test changes coming? I've only heard rumours.

I've had the question asked of me, and since I do not know the answer, I thought I would post it here.  Is anyone aware when/how/if the new testing will be implemented for BMQ/BMOQ?

Hey all!

This year the below will be the new fitness test for the CF, this year only you will have the choice of doing this, or the Express test and there will be no more exemptions. It is Pass or Fail.

I had a chance to perform this the day after my last Express test in December 6 days after approval and they were taking our data and possibly modifying it by increasing time or lowering times.
For the 20m Rushes, I finished with 7 seconds left, our top person finished with 10 seconds left, and we werent even sprinting. I expect this one to be increased in time.

But here it is!

Sand Bag Lift std: 3 min 30 s
30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sand bag to a height of 91 cm, alternating between left and right sand bags separated by 1.25 m.

Loaded Shuttles std: 5 min 21 s
Using the 20 m lines, complete ten 20 m shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kg sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 m.

20m Rushes std: 51 s
Starting from prone, complete two 20 m shuttles sprints dropping to a prone position every 10m, for a total of 80 m.

Sand Bag Pull std: complete
Carry one 20 kg sandbag and pull four on the floor over 20 m without stopping.

Have fun!

Please note I do not know if this will be implemented in BMQ

I do weights and MMA daily so I found it easy mode, our Crossfitters found it easy as well.

The only section I think people will have an issue would be the 20m rushes mainly due to getting up and down every 10 meters, especially people with bellies lol. And that would be why I think they need to increase that section by about 5-10 seconds.

maclawa said:
I do weights and MMA daily so I found it easy mode, our Crossfitters found it easy as well.

The only section I think people will have an issue would be the 20m rushes mainly due to getting up and down every 10 meters, especially people with bellies lol. And that would be why I think they need to increase that section by about 5-10 seconds.

Can't they just use there bellies to bounce back up?  ;D

A question that was asked at work today: is the step-test staying around, or will those people be doing the new testing too?

While I'm happy we've finally developed a fitness test for 'everyone', I think we're in trouble if we merely declare victory and move on from here.

The next step is to create something that will prepare us for battle. This test is a good start, but we still need something that will successfully get us past the Assembly Area (with 80lbs of ammo on our back and a bayonet fixed rifle in our hands) and on into the enemy trenches, and beyond.

Does anyone know if something like that is in the works?

The Army was working on something but seem to have scrapped it in favour of Project FORCE. As far as I know,  the Army's PSP position has been axed so who knows what is going to happen now. Some modification of the BFT? They probably need a combat/assault specific test like the USMC or Army.

airmich said:
A question that was asked at work today: is the step-test staying around, or will those people be doing the new testing too?

Excellent question.  What about the Fire Fighters as well?

signalsguy said:
[The Army] probably need a combat/assault specific test like the USMC or Army.
The last time the Army had its own test (that being right now) it was easier for a lot of fat, unfit pers.  We do not need our own test, but it may be worth having an Army bolt-on extension to the CF test.  One would do the CF test and then immeadeatly pick-up a ruck and do the BFT march.

I would actually like to see all the CF tests conducted at the finish line of the march, but if pers do not start fresh on the CF tests then I could see someone successfully grieving that the standard was changed and they should not be penalized as having not met the CF standard.

jollyjacktar said:
Excellent question.  What about the Fire Fighters as well?

Occupations with a demonstrated, bona-fide operational requirement will continue to test to an occupation-specific standard.

MCG said:
The last time the Army had its own test (that being right now) it was easier for a lot of fat, unfit pers.  We do not need our own test, but it may be worth having an Army bolt-on extension to the CF test.  One would do the CF test and then immeadeatly pick-up a ruck and do the BFT march.

I would actually like to see all the CF tests conducted at the finish line of the march, but if pers do not start fresh on the CF tests then I could see someone successfully grieving that the standard was changed and they should not be penalized as having not met the CF standard.

Of course... the 'whiner' elelment - I'd forgotten about thet. We wouldn't want the poor dears to be properly physically prepared to actually engage successfully in the toughest and least forgiving  team sport in the world: ground combat.  ::)

I'm arguing that the BFT is not adequate for that kind of preparation either. We need a good rethink of what the Infantry - and those who must work with the Infantry - need to do to be prepared physically for their job 'up to and beyond the LD' and get that program into place too. If we don't, we risk individual units, and various self-appointed combat fitness 'experts', coming up with stuff that is more in line with your average hazing ritual i.e., not scientific, relevant, appropriate, corporately sponsored and supported, or 'legal'.

Back