• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

UnwiseCritic said:
And Ballz, an IBTS standard would be a brilliant idea. As that would get rid of my gripe about being on operations with these people.
So, we have that IBTS requirement.  The BFT is now called the LBM and it is an annual IBTS requirement.
Is your gripe still there?

Not nearly as much, I would like to see it enforced as such a standard. Because people do fall out and there is no repercussions. But time will tell on this new system.

UnwiseCritic said:
It was my understanding the FORCE test was supposed to reflect work life.

It's a 'predictor of fitness', but for the CAF, not just the Canadian Army or the Infantry Corps.

I still believe there should be a separate standard as people who barely pass the FORCE test are putting themselves at risk for what an infanteer is actually required to do.

I am in an operational unit and it has SFA to do with what an Infanteer does.  The majority of the CAF doesn't do "infantry stuff", and don't need to be infantry fit.  Not all of us can afford the time to run obstacle courses, ruckmarches, and circuit training or we wouldn't get our job done.  The CAF has decided that the FORCE test is a reasonable predictor for the majority of the CAF.

The green machine folks still have the LBM, same as they had the BFT.  IIRC the BFT and EXPRES test were the official Army and CAF PT standards the whole time we were in the sandbox.  That doesn't mean that was the actual level of fitness does it?  So what's the issue?

Trades that have demonstrated a bona fide requirement for their own PT standard have it;  such as Firefighter, SAR Tech, CBRN Op, etc.  Maybe the Infantry Corps hasn't or doesn't intend to or tried but failed to convince the CAF that infantry soldiers need a higher PT standard than the current minimum WRT fitness testing.

If Pte Bloggins can't do a platoon attack, but passed the FORCE test, then use the Infantry Occupations Spec, Remedial Measures, etc the right way and fix the problem.  Seems to me this is a leadership function if the individual soldier lacks the self-discipline themselves.  They decide to get with the program and unfuck themselves, OT to some other trade or release. 

Main point?  FORCE is not an infantry fitness test.  Same as the EXPRES test wasn't. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Main point?  FORCE is not an infantry fitness test.  Same as the EXPRES test wasn't.

Neither is the BFT/LBM.  It's an exercise in intestinal foritiude and pain management.

Haggis said:
Neither is the BFT/LBM.  It's an exercise in intestinal foritiude and pain management.

Seriously.... If a guy my age can pass it 'off the couch' the LBM is a waste of time too, unless part of an incremental fitness program, IMHO  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
Seriously.... If a guy my age can pass it 'off the couch' the LBM is a waste of time too, unless part of an incremental fitness program, IMHO  :nod:

I agree... the LBM is more of an annoyance that comes around every so often than any sort of "gut check". We have to remember that before the FORCE came online people who were the most out of shape preferred to do the BFT than the EXPRES test as the BFT was deemed easier. Gut check? Nope.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
I agree... the LBM is more of an annoyance that comes around every so often than any sort of "gut check". We have to remember that before the FORCE came online people who were the most out of shape preferred to do the BFT than the EXPRES test as the BFT was deemed easier. Gut check? Nope.

I never said it was a TRUE "gut check".  ;D

Those folks also preferred to do the BFT because there was no pre-test blood pressure check which could land them on a TCat or PCat.

My son just flew in for basic trg this week , tomorrow is his first day. Their schedule has the PT test booked for Tuesday -- so they've been told day 2 is the test day for his platoon :)

Provided they are still running the test at CFLRS as they have for a while, the test in the first week will set the baseline.  There are bare minimums that must be met in order to stay with the course.  I believe you have a basic minimum of push-ups, sit-ups and hand-grip, but you cannot fail the run.  If you get above a certain score on the run, but fail to meet the minimum required to stay on course, they will send you to Warrior Fitness Training.  There you will know the meaning of perseverance as you are run for 2 PT sessions a day in order to get yourself to a full pass of the PT test.  If you are unable to meet the basic requirements of the full PT test after 90 days, you are released.

To give an example, I will give you my situation:

I got to BMQ (weighed 325 lbs) and did my CF Expres Test.  Needed (to stay on course): 19 push-ups, 19 sit-ups, 75 kgs on hand-grip, 6.0 beep test.  Scored:  19 push-ups, 25 sit-ups, 135 kgs on hand-grip, 4.5 on beep test.  I was sent to WFT.

In the period of 60 days, I managed to get my P/U and S/U up to 25 and 30, respectively, and was able to pass the hand-grip with one hand (I think my total test on record was 161 kgs...), but the shocker was that I ran a 6.5 on my beep test.

I then joined a platoon, and got injured and got better and got on another platoon...  Needless to say, I spent a full 9 months at BMQ.  Notable, though, is that when I did my last CF Expres Test (it was at BMQ, I have now only ever done the FORCE test since) and I scored pretty close to the same... 25 p/u, 30 s/u, 156 hand-grip, and (believe it or not) a 7.5 on the run.  On my graduation day, they let me jump on a scale to see how much weight I'd lost.  I checked in at just under 245 lbs.  I had shed over 80 lbs in 9 months.

Anyways, back on point.  The point is, try to get your fitness up to snuff as soon as you can.  The better shape you are in will dictate the harder BMQ is on you.  I loved the program, but hated the PT, and I think it was because I had let myself get so badly out of shape.  Had I been more fit and in better shape, I probably would have had no issues with regards to PT.

Also, to note, I am unsure if the PT testing is done the same way now, and if the WFT program still exists in the same format.  Maybe if there is anyone on here who is an instructor or recruit at CFLRS, they can shed some more light?

Hope some of what I said helps.

Cheers.

Rev

NavyHopeful said:
Provided they are still running the test at CFLRS as they have for a while, the test in the first week will set the baseline. 
Rev

Have they not done away with the Express test and full replaced it with the FORCE test now? That's what it says on the CFLRS website..

The initial physical fitness evaluation will consist of the FORCE Evaluation. Watch the videos of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation on the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) web page.

You must achieve the standard for all of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation in order to go on with your BMQ/BMOQ course.

KerryBlue said:
Have they not done away with the Express test and full replaced it with the FORCE test now? That's what it says on the CFLRS website..

Yes, the FORCE test is used.

In which case, my information is outdated.  I apologize.

In any case, good luck, and hope you all do well.

Cheers.

Rev

I have practiced the force test and I can pass it. I leave on Saturday but of course I pulled a muscle but it's much better now

I was curious as to what the specifics of the beep test are and found this online.  While it may not be exactly the same as the CF beep test it is in 20m increments so it may be close.  Just thought I'd share it for anyone else who was curious.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm#

The timing is pretty close for everyone, just make sure you hit the lines and your hands hit the ground behind the lines and you're fine.

I know some units do place their mbr's on IC, RW and C&P for not passing a BFT etc even though they have passed the FORCE test.  The grievances I've seen come to Ottawa have all been successful.  I can say one I saw was a supply tech from Edmonton who failed the BFT and was given a RW.  It was later removed.

stellarpanther said:
The grievances I've seen come to Ottawa have all been successful.

Really? I haven't been able to find any on the grievance board website.... if it went outside a unit, that's where it goes.

I was at the mess last Friday and the CF CWO and CMP CWO were guest speakers for the PMC's coffee.  From what they were saying they are looking at bring incentive levels to the FORCE test that will more then likely equal to more "bling" on the uniform.  What they didn't say but it was mentioned at the last GOFO is that they are also looking at using these incentive levels at the Merit Boards, 1 or 2 pts depending on the level achieved. 

Hopefully this will not pass at AFC, I would like to see levels on the test but just for bragging rights, not for some lowest bidder pin that will spin on the DEU!

caocao said:
I was at the mess last Friday and the CF CWO and CMP CWO were guest speakers for the PMC's coffee.  From what they were saying they are looking at bring incentive levels to the FORCE test that will more then likely equal to more "bling" on the uniform.  What they didn't say but it was mentioned at the last GOFO is that they are also looking at using these incentive levels at the Merit Boards, 1 or 2 pts depending on the level achieved. 

Hopefully this will not pass at AFC, I would like to see levels on the test but just for bragging rights, not for some lowest bidder pin that will spin on the DEU!

How about this for the FORCEFIT pin?

Seems to line up with the effort required to achieve this embarrassingly mediocre standard.... ;D

Back