• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

So I just had the idea of join the CF today and did some research on it. I'm 17 years old, female, 5 ft 3 and about 130lbs. I'm somewhat athletic. Right now I can do 15 propor push-ups and finish 5km in about 33 minutes (did the running on a walking track would be slower on a road). Can't do pull-ups only one or two at a time and was not the proper ones. I'm gonna go get some sandbags tomorrow to mimic the actual test but just want some ideas on how hard it is and what's the key skills that I need to have. Feel like it's a dumb question but I really need to hear from people who actually did it so thanks for all the response and patience!

Victoria said:
what's the key skills that I need to have

See also,

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )
https://army.ca/forums/threads/80513.0.html
49 pages.

Victoria said:
So I just had the idea of join the CF today and did some research on it. I'm 17 years old, female, 5 ft 3 and about 130lbs. I'm somewhat athletic right now I can do 15 propor push-ups and finish 5km in about 33 minutes (did the running on a walking track would be slower on a road). Can't do pull-ups only one or two at a time and was not the proper ones. I'm gonna go get some sandbags tomorrow to mimic the actual test but just want some ideas on how hard it is and what's the key skills that I need to have. Feel like it's a dumb question but I really need to hear from people who actually did it so thanks for all the response and patience!

I’ve seen smaller people than you succeed. If you decide you can and you will, and if you match that with effort, you should succeed.

Work on building some strength and muscular endurance. If you don’t already do weights, start. Stuff like squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts- big functional movements that work a lot of your body at once and that mimic actual tasks like lifting/moving heavy things. If you have a backpack you can load some weight into, go on some walks carrying progressively greater weights.

Bodyweight stuff like pushups and pull-ups are great. My wife once had an ambition of one day doing one pull-up that she never thought she’d reach- I think her best so far now is nine. There’s absolutely no reason you cannot work up to it.

Work hard, and stay positive. Good luck!

Victoria said:
So I just had the idea of join the CF today and did some research on it. I'm 17 years old, female, 5 ft 3 and about 130lbs. I'm somewhat athletic. Right now I can do 15 propor push-ups and finish 5km in about 33 minutes (did the running on a walking track would be slower on a road). Can't do pull-ups only one or two at a time and was not the proper ones. I'm gonna go get some sandbags tomorrow to mimic the actual test but just want some ideas on how hard it is and what's the key skills that I need to have. Feel like it's a dumb question but I really need to hear from people who actually did it so thanks for all the response and patience!

Some very solid advice from Brihard with respect to weightlifting.  I would add that given your size, the event you will no doubt have the most difficulty with will be the Sandbag Drag which is a continuous 20m drag of approx 270lbs without stopping.

Weightlifting will help you be able to do that event but another way to train for it is to do sled pulls or tire drags for distance and time. 

Example:

Drag-Your-Butt-Into-Shape.JPG

hqdefault.jpg

Doesn't have to be anything fancy either, you could run a truck tie down strap through a bunch of cinder blocks and pull those around or haul a heavy log around.

The point is, get your body used to pulling movements and using pulling strength.

Another thing I would recommend is following a good program.  Working out without programming isn't training, it's just exercise.  Training is exercise with a specific prescription to achieve a desired result i.e. increase your vertical jump by 2 inches, be able to squat 2x your bodyweight, be able to run a sub 5 min 5km time, etc.

A good programming model I follow is an app called Freeletics.  They have a bunch of 12 week programs and it's all available through your phone.  It is tailored to your ability as well. I highly recommend signing up for the coaching if you do take a look at it.

You may also find these discussions of interest,

Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/17044.0.html
5 pages.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/2420.2200
89 pages.

[quote author=Victoria] I'm 17 years old, female, 5 ft 3 and about 130lbs.
[/quote]

Rodger Wilton Young was 5 feet 2 inches, maybe just a little heavier than you, wore glasses and couldn't hear worth shit. You should read what he did.

Jarnhamar said:
Rodger Wilton Young was 5 feet 2 inches, maybe just a little heavier than you, wore glasses and couldn't hear worth shit. You should read what he did.

Shines the name — Rodger Young,
Fought and died for the men he marched among.
To the everlasting glory of the Infantry
Lives the story of Private Rodger Young.

Jarnhamar said:
Rodger Wilton Young was 5 feet 2 inches, maybe just a little heavier than you, wore glasses and couldn't hear worth crap. You should read what he did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodger_Wilton_Young

I am curious is there paperwork for foreign exchange personnel to perform the FORCE Test?

Is there a requirement for exchange personnel to maintain a valid FORCE Test?  I can't find a reference anywhere.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I am curious is there paperwork for foreign exchange personnel to perform the FORCE Test?

I'm guessing that you mean CAF members posted OUTCAN?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Is there a requirement for exchange personnel to maintain a valid FORCE Test?  I can't find a reference anywhere.

Yes, there is.  Check DAOD 5023-2.  I recall that there used to be provisions for a "location excusal" for members who were not in locations where it was feasible to conduct a fitness test. However I'm not sure if this is still in effect.

Haggis said:
I'm guessing that you mean CAF members posted OUTCAN?

Actually I mean exchange personnel serving here in Canada from other nations.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Actually I mean exchange personnel serving here in Canada from other nations.

The DAOD doesn't speak to that.  I suspect they would be subject to their national policies.  There could be a SOU which allows them to complete the FORCE test in lieu of their national standard.

When I was on exchange in the UK they brought over PSP staff once a year to do PT tests as part of our (the exchange pers in the UK) get together where we learnt what was new and great in Canada.

When I deployed with UK forces as a Canadian I had to do both the UK tests (ruck and 1.5 mile/pushup/situps).  The senior Canadian officer excused me from my EXPRES when I said I had done the UK one and would be on pre-deployment leave during the testing period.  However I did have to do an EXPRES right after I got back from Afghanistan, got flown to Germany to do that, have a medical, and get new glasses.

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice regarding the FORCE eval done during PRes recruitment. I've been looking all around the forum and can't seem to find anything about anyone failing it and everyone says it's a fairly easy test. The recruiter also told me he'd never seen anyone fail it. This is blowing my mind because I've been practicing the shuttle runs, sandbag lifts, and loaded shuttles and they completely knock the wind out of me. I can only barely make the time for the shuttle run and loaded shuttles with at least a bit of rest in between. I'm a full 1-2 minutes slow on the sandbag lifts and after about 10-15 I'm not even shuffling back and forth, I'm just walking because I'm breathing so hard. Am I just that out of shape compared to everyone else? Should I reschedule the test for a later time after I train some more?

Some background stats: 6 ft, 185 lbs. I'm not strong but this is the strongest I've ever been...which is to say I can do 6 pushups (up from zero). I haven't been running for the past couple weeks as I injured my ankle (doesn't really affect the test, it's just bad on runs ~3-5 km), but before that I've been able to run 1-2 km at about 10 km/h nonstop. Seeing as gyms are closed in my area and not likely to open any time soon, I've been improvising. I was training with a 20 kg salt bag, which broke, so now I use concrete blocks of unknown weight but if I had to guess they're about 15 kg.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you can only run 2kms and do 6 pushups, that should be an indicator why you're winded. Sandbag lift is grip strength and squats. Start doing weighted squats and farmers carry. Get yourself up to running 5km in under 30 mins. 20 pushups should be your minimum. Once you can hit those numbers, you'll do much better.

Roger. I'll get started on those right away. I hadn't thought of the farmer's carry, I was just doing hangs from a bar but it'll be a good addition.

PeptoBismol said:
Roger. I'll get started on those right away. I hadn't thought of the farmer's carry, I was just doing hangs from a bar but it'll be a good addition.

The FORCE sandbags are awkward to pick up. Farmers carry will work on grip, core, and arms to give you more muscle groups able to assist in quickly hauling them up and down.

Good Day,

Just here to ask a few questions,

1. During the application process, I remember there was a very basic PT. I understand now that there is the FORCE evaluation. During the recruitment process, do we do the FORCE test in place of the old PT (a couple of push-ups, a couple of step-ups, and a squat or two) or do we do the FORCE test?

2. What is the best way to train without access to rec-center? I've been running every day to try and get my 5km and 2.5km to an above-average time.
Slightly worried about the sandbag lift specifically.

3. Is there any advice you can give to a 27year old who spent 10 years smoking cigarettes (pack a day+) on improving physical fitness?

4. Has anyone used hypoxic masks to train and if so, would you recommend them?

Thanks for your time, I hope you're all staying healthy.

Best regards,

B

Back